Search function

Budo

Is it just me, or is the search function on the forums nearly gorram useless?

Tried a few times to find a few builds or other ideas and I get like 40,000 results and they all list the exact opposite of what I want. 

Anyone got any search tips for these forums, or is it just a known thing that they suck?

1 hour ago, Budo said:

Tried a few times to find a few builds or other ideas and I get like 40,000 results and they all list the exact opposite of what I want. 

Anyone got any search tips for these forums, or is it just a known thing that they suck?

It's a bit finicky, but I can usually get decent results by using the search box dropdown to search in one forum only and match on all terms.  Occasionally I've had to refine it using some quotes to create phrases rather than use single words, but I don't think I've ever failed to find at least some builds.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

1 hour ago, Budo said:

Yeah, it's a bit useless. Even more so if you go with the defaults. A couple of things you can do to clear up your results... slightly...

1.  Start out in the forum section you want to search in. If you're looking for builds, go to the AT/Builds section.
  2. In the Search dropdown menu, select 'This Topic'. You can also restrict it to Titles only, sometimes that narrows results down.
  3. Once you get results, over on the right side, click on 'Sort by' and select 'Date'. This will order the results by latest first.

This may or may not help with your searches, it's still hit or miss.

😕

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

You best solution is using Google. The search of the forums is also unable to look for posts done prior to the forum migration, but, again, Google fixes that.

So, for example, google up and go 'amazing blaster builds omfg dat damage site:https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/13-blaster/ '

• Thanks 1

After each search, I have to select the "xxx AND yyy AND zzz" to filter the results that contain all of my criteria as opposed to atleast one of my criteria.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

25 minutes ago, Budo said:

I was looking for a tank build, and the first 3 results were from the MM forum and the next 4 were ads for male enhancement. 

And don't even get me STARTED on my search results when I include "ED" in them...

• Haha 1
I'm out.

4 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:
4 hours ago, Budo said:

I was looking for a tank build, and the first 3 results were from the MM forum and the next 4 were ads for male enhancement. 

And don't even get me STARTED on my search results when I include "ED" in them...

Don't get me started on looking for posts containing "sound". Although "ED" sounds much worse.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

6 hours ago, Bopper said:

After each search, I have to select the "xxx AND yyy AND zzz" to filter the results that contain all of my criteria as opposed to atleast one of my criteria.

You can do that preemptively when you do the search, using the drop-down list from the search box.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!