Income Inequality In CoX

Inheritor

My first toon one Homecoming had to expend some effort to make his first million, but that was without using the AH at all. Then I recognized AH as both the source of things to buy as well as a place to sell things I don't want or need and I've never looked back.

I can barely consider myself a serious marketeer, yet the billions of Inf on hand almost entirely came from the AH, just like almost all of the IOs I slot. If I was waiting for Purple drops there might only be a few toons kitted with them, and only then because merits can also buy recipes.

12 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

You seem to think that I can somehow control the actions of others through words on a screen, if only...

How you communicate with others is something that you do have a measure of control over. There's not much you can necessarily do about language/culture barriers, different levels of literacy or how people feel in the moment they happen to read whatever you wrote and there certainly isn't anything you can or should do about bad faith actors. But you can do something about the level of abrasiveness you choose to adopt. Communication must mean that you care about how others perceive your message or else you have no business partaking in it. You won't be able to connect with others. Being if not nice or strictly polite then professional can make all the difference. It can make people read an opinion that is entirely incompatible with their own desires and just shrug at it because they know that it's just what this other person wants, no judgement intended. But if someone presents that opinion while being intentionally abrasive about it, more who simply disagree are going to think they're dealing with a real jerk who doesn't belong. The opinion, the presentation and the person become inseparable and eventually people end up banned.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

I am not saying in anyway I am morally superior, only that the passive-aggressive, 'morally superior' language I see used by a lot of the players

Aim, Build Up, Blast of Irony.
Irony Blaster has hit you for 0MG6606 points of damage. You have been defeated.

Gotta admit, though... Irony Blaster really delivers on the entertainment front 😉

Edited by Coyote
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Coyote said:

...well, most people reason the same way. So they come to the same opinion. ...

You really, really think that 'most people' reason the same way?

I don't even know how to appraoch that level of echo-chamber thinking, TBH, that floors me that anyone would actually think that.

The mere mention of something that upsets the herd is wht brings out the comments, be it a new idea or an old one, IME.

I don't give a hoo-haa about coolness, fake or real, I just type what I think.

19 minutes ago, Blastit said:

How you communicate with others is something that you do have a measure of control over. There's not much you can necessarily do about language/culture barriers, different levels of literacy or how people feel in the moment they happen to read whatever you wrote and there certainly isn't anything you can or should do about bad faith actors. But you can do something about the level of abrasiveness you choose to adopt. Communication must mean that you care about how others perceive your message or else you have no business partaking in it. You won't be able to connect with others. Being if not nice or strictly polite then professional can make all the difference. It can make people read an opinion that is entirely incompatible with their own desires and just shrug at it because they know that it's just what this other person wants, no judgement intended. But if someone presents that opinion while being intentionally abrasive about it, more who simply disagree are going to think they're dealing with a real jerk who doesn't belong. The opinion, the presentation and the person become inseparable and eventually people end up banned.

Could not agree more...still here, not banned. 🙂

6 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

You really, really think that 'most people' reason the same way?

I don't even know how to appraoch that level of echo-chamber thinking, TBH, that floors me that anyone would actually think that.

The mere mention of something that upsets the herd is wht brings out the comments, be it a new idea or an old one, IME.

I don't give a hoo-haa about coolness, fake or real, I just type what I think.

Do you really think anyone who shares a consensus opinion is just going with the herd and is part of an echo chamber?

You're not the only free thinking individual here. Have you ever thought that maybe your opinions are bad and people are disagreeing based on the merits? 

The 'herd' doesn't seem upset to me, but you do. 

• Like 1

I don't often agree with @jubakumbibut seems to me y'all are shooting the messenger here.

There most assuredly IS an undertone of moral superiority that comes out whenever a thread about the in-game economy bubbles up, and that is soon followed by the calls to outlaw AE, strip its rewards further, or "just buttonize" 50 or suggesting people just play on Test "...because they're skipping the game anyway..." 

These are suggestions that marginalize the experience of other players, assigning a status of 'lesser' to those who somehow find enjoyment in the behavior you condemn.  It's especially passive-aggressive to come in here suggesting changes to the system that your bad-math-brain thinks will affect you naught. 

To be quite honest, this world already has too many people trying to force others to live by THEIR rules, we don't need it in video games on top of it.  To that end, I will always support any effort to stuff the control clowns back into their car. 

• Like 2

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

9 minutes ago, Corruption said:

Do you really think anyone who shares a consensus opinion is just going with the herd and is part of an echo chamber?

You're not the only free thinking individual here. Have you ever thought that maybe your opinions are bad and people are disagreeing based on the merits? 

The 'herd' doesn't seem upset to me, but you do. 

Well, I am certainly not out to upset you.

Yes, I really do think that anyone who blindly shares a consensus opinion is just going with the herd and living in an echo chamber.

I think that anyone who really thinks that 'everyone thinks the same' is living in an echo chamber.

My opinions on a great many things may be 'bad' from multiple points of view, just as the opinions of others can be 'bad' depending on your POV.

So?

I have thoughts, I share them as I like.

For example, making INF gain equal for all activities in the game would not fix the perceived problem the OP outlines.

If we are not here to discuss our differing opinions, than what use is this forum other than just an echo chamber for the herd?

If you have data that can change my opinion, then please, share that data, we will see if it changes my outlook.

What some posters here have an issue with is my manner and typed deportment, not actually my ideas most of time, IME.

Some of them seem to think there is some onus on me via society at large to change how I communicate, which I find equally hilarious.

There are Ignore features right in the forum if you really find my thoughts upsetting.

I hope you can understand that there is no obligation on my part to censure my language more than I already do...you should see the paragraphs I type that I delete before posting! 

I have been here since the first few days the non-secret servers have been turned up, I was here from Day 4 of Live before the Snap, and I plan on being here until I can no longer play the game due to age and infirmity.

My outlooks on these topics is something I have shared on the interwebs for years in numerous MMO forums, never been banned.

So if you have a problem with my typed deportment or my outlook on topics like this one that are, IMO and that of others, non-issues and bad ideas on 'fixes', then by all means, please do youself a favor and put me on ignore, because I am here for the long haul, regardless of how I agree with any of the server runners or any of the players, because I like the Game, that's why I am here, that's why I post my (aggressive and rude) opinions, not any other reason.

Toodles.

15 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

For example, making INF gain equal for all activities in the game would not fix the perceived problem the OP outlines.

This is correct. People who still have more available free time to play are going to still have more wealth than those with limited playtime.

I've played a fair amount of MMOs and how much money is needed as you level vs how much you make and how much effort it takes to make money has varied. But I have learned one lesson which I think is applicable here:

While playing an MMO, if you make no effort to make money as you play you will probably not have any money. If you want to have money you will need to designate some % of your play efforts to making money instead of just leveling.

In Final Fantasy XI I literally could not level my character because I could not afford cornerstone spells and equipment. I was playing a white mage, could not even farm for casual drops off monsters 20 levels lower than me, and resorted to cooking (crafting) fishing bait to make a few thousand at a time. In comparison in the game Rift, the need for money as leveling was minimal and caused a lot of people to reach level 50 while doing nothing other than selling trash drops and be shocked that fast mounts at 50 cost 50 gold. However the economic reality of that game was that you could literally pick up shiny collectibles ("artifacts") off the ground and sell them for cash; you could learn the mining and woodcutting skills and in 10 minutes wandering the newbie zone pick up enough ore and wood to sell on the auction house for up to 5 gold depending on the day. Literally you could make the 50 gold for that level 50 mount in approximately an hour to an hour and a half even if you hadn't spent any time making a few coins each time you played. 

So upon reading the first post of this thread my entire thought sums up as: so, some people want to fast grind out leveling content and spend 0 effort making money. That's their choice and it's not a problem. Realistically even if you primarily grind radio missions, if you just do a task force now and then and use the merits to buy converters and boosters and sell them, you will have all the money necessary to finance your basic gear and a few perks like steadfast protection knockback protection. This has been shared over and over on the forums, and on the help channel. The water has been carried to the horse; if it doesn't drink, it can just die of dehydration.

• Like 4

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

6 minutes ago, Erydanus said:

While playing an MMO, if you make no effort to make money as you play you will probably not have any money. If you want to have money you will need to designate some % of your play efforts to making money instead of just leveling.

Spot on.  Threads like this seem to ignore the fact that everyone has equal opportunity to amass in game wealth in favor for looking at ways to guarantee equal outcome despite a difference in level of effort. 

Edited by ShardWarrior
  • Like 3

A lot of MMOs had ways to make money that get shut down by the devs to try and curb inflation, etc.

They also have items which are clearly superior to others for whatever class / slot.

Making it harder for newer players to compete with the old money as it were.

That doesn't exist in Homecoming ... 

• Like 1

Well, this one has now officially been from one end of the spectrum, to the other, and back again.  We've managed to regurgitate all of the old disagreements, and as has been the case in the past, no minds have really been changed, no opinions or perspectives shifted, and nothing really settled.  But, we're 8 pages in, and quickly headed for 9.  So, why do we bother?  I imagine because we are all passionate about this game to varying degrees, and express that passion in different ways.  Well, that and we apparently just love to go through this exercise on a good old forum.  It's what we do.

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

3 hours ago, Abraxus said:

no minds have really been changed, no opinions or perspectives shifted, and nothing really settled.  But, we're 8 pages in, and quickly headed for 9.  So, why do we bother?

I do it for the love of god. No, wait, typo... I mean, the love of sarcasm. And irony. And I have to have a reason to eat all this popcorn, no? 😄

Seriously, almost all posts generally say all that's relevant within the first 3-4 pages, so anything after that is just entertainment.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I am morally superior. I build my characters by concept and run them as i believe they would live on the city

thus leaves me broke. Could you guys email me some cash?

No.  But you can haz my old refrigerator box.  

That ripped sleeping bag in it is Lefty's though.  He prolly wants that back.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

because I am here for the long haul, regardless of how I agree with any of the server runners or any of the players, because I like the Game, that's why I am here, that's why I post my (aggressive and rude) opinions, not any other reason.

If you are knowingly aggressive and rude then I'm not sure you're going to be here for the long haul, since that's toxic behaviour and any prudent forums moderating team will work to get rid of it.

24 minutes ago, Lines said:

Y'all gotta accept Jubakumbi and his path-less-trodden opinions into your lives as a necessary evil. Let them thoughts flow. Things just escelate if you resist them.

Nope.  He's on my ignore list.  For every salient point he has five generalized insults, four acts of hyperbole, three doses of irony, two instances of obtuseness, and can't spell 'their'.   Also, it's escalate.  I'm too friggin' old for that crap.  This will be the last time I mention that fella.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Ignatz the Insane said:

Nope.  He's on my ignore list.  For every salient point he has five generalized insults, four acts of hyperbole, three doses of irony, two instances of obtuseness, and can't spell 'their'.   Also, it's escalate.  I'm too friggin' old for that crap.  This will be the last time I mention that fella.  

I mean sure, that's totally fine. I'm not defending or condoning anything here, just that these threads often get derailed and that there is a trend.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

I am morally superior. I build my characters by concept and run them as i believe they would live on the city

thus leaves me broke. Could you guys email me some cash?

Well what I can do is, for a small investment, have you buy a monthly packages of random uncommons off me in 10, 30, 50 or 100 IOs per month, now naturally they're going to be at a high mark up but I assure you, they're essential...just like some oils. Now I offer big discounts for larger orders so I recommend you recruit friends and family to join so you can sell them the uncommon IOs at an even larger mark up, the more friends you have buying, the larger the order, the larger the discount on your monthly package, the more profit you make. Best of all is that you don't even have to leave your own home to do it, just you usual social networking.

In fact I have set up special ingame channel for all our members, it's called Massively Liberated Marketeers. In the channel you can all chat about how great I am and how someone got enough inf to totally afford outfitting 1 billion inf builds in a matter of days. Now there are naturally ranks in this group, the more large bundles of uncommon you buy per month, the higher your rank is but you're also required to have people under you who buy uncommon IO packages off of you and the higher the rank, the more people. Remember though more people means more sales!

Sound like a good deal?

Edited by DR_Mechano
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Ignatz the Insane said:

You forgot that he also has a partridge in a pear tree 😉

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Blastit said:

If you are knowingly aggressive and rude then I'm not sure you're going to be here for the long haul, since that's toxic behaviour and any prudent forums moderating team will work to get rid of it.

That's really funny.

You think these forums have anything to do with playing COH?

The existence of this handle on these forums has absolutley no bearing on my playing COH for the long haul, or any other game where I use it.

You don't actually think what takes place on these forums has any RL meaning, do you?

This is nothing more than a way to waste time at my desk when I don't feel like painting my house or sorting more Magic cards.

And yes, my spelling sucks as much as my demeanor offends some people and my grammer probably makes others weep.

Truth be told, I really had no idea my thoughts were so offensive to so many of you - I have plenty of support for my ideas, both online and in RL.

I think it's fascinating that just talking blunty about my views on a game is so ... emotionally impactful on people I don't kow and never met, just through words on a screen.

I don't take gaming (forums) nearly as seriously as some people seem to...it's just another video game, just another forum...

Seems like a lot of drama just because I passionately express myself the same way here as I would in RL.

Since we are clearly on the topic of bashing me over discussing the dead-horse of INF equality,  I would still love to know why, specifically, the words I use hurt more than the words I see others use that hurt me, like 'ban for using Homages', 'ban for charging for AE runs', 'prevent powerlevelling', 'that AT is broken, buff mine', 'you are playing that character wrong'...

All those words hurt me deeply, as they show a community that wants players that will conform and attack anything not 'right'...

Feel free to just PM me with why you think I am so terrible, that's fine as well.

This is the most fun I have had in a while, thanks everyone!

Edited by jubakumbi