When you're convinced the RNG goblin is mocking you

RikOz

Yes, the RNG goblin is mocking me.

I have something like 87 alts at this point, and they're virtually all scrappers, brutes, blasters, sentinels, and stalkers. Mingled in there are one corruptor, one dominator, and one tanker, all created that way purely for concept rather than actual combat role. I'm pretty much exclusively a solo player, so I prefer damage ATs. I was the same way in WoW. So I likely won't be rolling many "support" ATs any time soon, at least until I've come up with toons for every possible PS combination for those five damage classes (I have spreadsheets for this!) and I don't foresee ever rolling a mastermind, for psychological reasons*.

So I have purchased a handful of SuperPacks hoping to obtain some useful ATOs. I've gotten five so far:

One for Kheldians

One for Widows

One for Masterminds

One for Corruptors

One for Dominators

It's as if the RNG goblin surveyed my account, saw what I needed, and then gave me something else.

(Before anybody decides to "explain" RNG to me, I mean this post to be tongue-in-cheek. I realize my sample size is very small, and that there are more ATs I don't play than ATs I play.)

* Masterminds and psychology: I'm mildly claustrophobic (not professionally diagnosed) and I've found that, even in games, I hate having a crowd of creatures around me in close proximity. I first noticed this when I tried playing a Necromancer back in Diablo II - I couldn't stand having that crowd of summoned skeletons skittering along with me. In WoW I had a couple Beast Mastery hunters, and I could deal with the one pet they had, but when a feature of the Legion expansion granted a second pet, I dealt with it but didn't like it. I don't even like hanging out in areas crowded with other players. So a MM just doesn't look attractive to me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Troo said:

@Sakura Tenshi I remain convinced that accuracy going past the cap starts over for assassin's strike

I agree with you: this happens to my Blasters far too often.  Click Build-Up, click Aim, click Sniper Blast: MISS!

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

So, I find myself wanting a useful ATO.  It is either super expensive or out of stock.  Love Homecoming, gotta say.  I window shop.  Find one a few million cheaper in an off brand.  Convert convert convert.  polish that thing until it rolls right into what I need.   I never buy converters.  I am addicted to TF so merits are a given in my life.  Try to charge me top dollar on an enhancer....I will buy 3 off brands, convert and dump them on your market.  I make a little money off that too. 🙂

So convert away, sounds like you have a full set for your ATO just waiting for a little magic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Troo said:

That's awesome, you got an ATO in every pack! 

Actually, one had none, and another had two. The one with no ATO had a pile of Merits in it, though.

2 hours ago, Dreamboat said:

For what feels like a few months now, whenever I've gotten a new power, it has reliably missed on first use. Every time.

I was going through a Malta mission once, on an office map, and encountered something like five of those Hercules Class Titans as I proceeded through the hallways. I used my snipe as my opening attack on each of them, and it missed every single time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RikOz said:

Actually, one had none, and another had two. The one with no ATO had a pile of Merits in it, though.

I was going through a Malta mission once, on an office map, and encountered something like five of those Hercules Class Titans as I proceeded through the hallways. I used my snipe as my opening attack on each of them, and it missed every single time.

I tend not to buy superpacks until I mass up like 100 mil, and then I buy 9 of them.  

I never buy packs unless I buy 6+ though. 

I know, I know, random is random, but I feel like if I only get 1-2 I'm *begging* RNGeesus to give me duds.  More and it evens out.  

Goods news is any ATO you get is convertable and the result can only be another ATO.

• Like 1

This in Monster hunter is known as the Desire Sensor. Since if you're after just one part of a monster (say a plate), then you'll have to grind through god knows how many until you get it BUT if you don't need a very rare drop from a monster, it'll flow like candy. This got to the point that in the latest game they introduced a way where you could get at least 1 of the very rare items once a week if your luck was especially crappy. So yes, the more you want something, the more the Desire Sensor knows you want it, the more it'll do its best to keep it out of your hands.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Yoru-hime said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers this story. The RNG goblin is all in your head except for when it's not.

AC was my first MMO.  Thistledown, represent!

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I was doing the set-build for Amtes, my Demons/Time MM last night, and decided I did want to give her the ATO sets after all, and not just the procs. I needed 8 for that. Type didn't matter since conversion is A Thing.

I had to buy 13 packs to get those 8 ATOs.

NONE of the 8 I eventually got were from the MM sets.

Mr. Coyote was actually standing there, watching me open the things, laughing at how poor my luck was. >_<

I did get a nice pile of merits out of those packs though.

… Which was good considering how many converters I went through turning the Not-MM bits (a sea of Spider Bites and Kheldian's Grace) into the MM O's I needed.

But as annoying as THAT was, it's not the worst luck I've had. That happened last week when I wanted an Avalanche proc for Shonokin. 

I bought a Winter Pack for 25m. No Winter O.

I shrugged... It happens, after all... and bought another one. No Winter O from that one, either.

I gave up and just bought another, slightly less pricey Winter piece and converted it.

That proc ended up costing me something like 70m when all was said and done and I didn't even get any Merits from those packs. They were Inspies and Brainstorms and a Tailor Coupon. <_<

Edited by Coyotedancer

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

1 hour ago, DR_Mechano said:

This in Monster hunter is known as the Desire Sensor. Since if you're after just one part of a monster (say a plate), then you'll have to grind through god knows how many until you get it BUT if you don't need a very rare drop from a monster, it'll flow like candy. This got to the point that in the latest game they introduced a way where you could get at least 1 of the very rare items once a week if your luck was especially crappy. So yes, the more you want something, the more the Desire Sensor knows you want it, the more it'll do its best to keep it out of your hands.

There's a popular WoW news/discussion site called Blizzard Watch. One of the main writers on the site is a guy named Matt Rossi. In 2013, Blizzard added a certain open-world boss to the game, and this boss's loot table included a set of epic plate shoulder armor named for Mr. Rossi: Rossi's Rosin-Soaked Shoulderplates. Rossi has been farming that boss, on multiple warrior characters, every week since, and last I heard, the item still hasn't dropped for him.

Edited by RikOz

21 hours ago, tremor3258 said:

"You had a 95.00 chance to hit, you rolled 96.87."

Alllll the time.

That's any /Time I've ever run.  I can count on one hand the number of times that  a chain of Time Crawl -> Time Stop -> Slowed Response-> Attack have all hit.  

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

33 minutes ago, roleki said:

That's any /Time I've ever run.  I can count on one hand the number of times that  a chain of Time Crawl -> Time Stop -> Slowed Response-> Attack have all hit.  

For the record I had a 95 percent chance I saw last night that missed 2 out of 3 times. 

I have taunted the goblin, and must suffer the consequences. 

2 minutes ago, loyalreader said:

Stupid question - how/where does one buy the packs? I've bought individual enhancements both at AH and with merits, but I don't think I've ever seen packs?

They're on the AH and are seeded there at a fixed price.

They're listed under Salvage > Special.

• Like 1