Unexpected sale/bid result

Sailboat

Not much of a market guy.

I typically want Attuned stuff normally as I like exemping down.  In the pre-attunement days, I would use lower-than-50 IOs and not be quite as uber just so the set bonuses would exemp down a bit.

I understand on Homecoming that you can buy Attuned items that were put up for sale as NOT attuned.

I see recommendations to more-or-less "sell an unattuned IO back to yourself" to get it attuned.

I had an IO, not Attuned, that's showing "last 5" sales at 1,000,000 as Attuned.  I bid 1.5 million...nothing for a few minutes.  Reset the bid for 900,000, let it sit for a few minutes, nothing.

So I put in my IO, assuming either:

1) I will buy it for 900,000 as attuned, or

2) someone else will buy it for higher than my bid

and that either should occur fairly quickly.

Instead, someone else buys it for 135,000 and my 900,000 bid goes unfilled.

Am I misunderstanding?

You cannot self deal.  If you are offering an item at a price and bidding on the same item ON THE SAME CHARACTER at a lower price, all is good.  If you are offering an item at a price and bidding on the same item ON THE SAME CHARACTER at a higher price, you will not sell your item until someone else comes in with a higher bid than yours.  

It's an effective way to lock down a market.

Generally, you are better off using two characters for something like this.

Who run Bartertown?

On 2/21/2020 at 8:54 AM, Perfect Square said:

I have been told it is two different ACCOUNTS, not just characters. Can anyone confirm that they have successfully purchased between 2 different characters on the same account?

I did that multiple times today while swapping out normal io sets for attuned.  If the IO didn't insta sell when I put it up, I swapped to another character to attempt to buy it back.  Which worked for all but 1 attempt.  That 1 attempt somehow was still showing the /ah info/inventory of the character I posted the IO with.  I swapped to another character and it worked then.

Just now, Auranyte said:

I did that multiple times today while swapping out normal io sets for attuned.  If the IO didn't insta sell when I put it up, I swapped to another character to attempt to buy it back.  Which worked for all but 1 attempt.  That 1 attempt somehow was still showing the /ah info/inventory of the character I posted the IO with.  I swapped to another character and it worked then.

Just out of curiosity why would you do that?  

2 hours ago, Sakai said:

Just out of curiosity why would you do that?  

If you mean swapping out normal IOs for Attuned ones..  I just learned about how Attuned IOs worked. (I last played on live pre-Freedom/F2P so they didn't exist then) So I figured I'd switch to those while I was changing that character's build.

If you are asking why I bought them from myself on my other character on the same account...  Well I spotted this thread Friday night and decided to try it out this morning to see if it worked.  It does.

Edited by Auranyte
clarification

Ok, here's another one I don't understand.

A Brute IO was selling for 20-22 million in last 5.  I placed a bid foir 19 million and let it sit.

Today the last 5 (all new) shows 3 sales for 2,000....one for 50,000, and one for 22million.

My bid did not pick up the IO for 19 million.

How does anyone buy for 2,000 when there's an outstanding bid for 19 million...much less 3 times (and another at 50k to boot?)

Edited by Sailboat

1 hour ago, Sailboat said:

Ok, here's another one I don't understand.

A Brute IO was selling for 20-22 million in last 5.  I placed a bid foir 19 million and let it sit.

Today the last 5 (all new) shows 3 sales for 2,000....one for 50,000, and one for 22million.

My bid did not pick up the IO for 19 million.

How does anyone buy for 2,000 when there's an outstanding bid for 19 million...much less 3 times (and another at 50k to boot?)

Some items have documented bugs, where they are showing false trades.  I think they are working on that, but my rule of thumb is that if there are lowball prices that look to good to be true, it's probably a display error.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

6 hours ago, Sailboat said:

Read all about it here (and feel free to post examples if you have some screenshots of what you saw).

• Like 1

@Sailboat Yeah, I don't know about just 5k, but I've personally been the "victim" of getting lowballed: I was just going for a quick sale on an ATO, so I posted for 5, hoping to get at least 7 million as per the price history...  The winning bid turned out to be like 50K. I wasn't happy.

Though on the other side of it, unless you were selling a purple, Brute ATOs usually hover around 10-15 million, not 20.