Storm tornado knockback

GamerRick

I have an ice/storm controller. I like the combo for thematic reasons.  When I finally was able to take Tornado I was bummed. I have seen so many times where people lambaste people for using powers with knockback.  

With that, why would you take Tornado?  In a group setting I would never use it unless maybe as a Hail Mary after half the team has died. As is, ice/storm is pitiful at soloing so it is really team dependent in my opinion. 

I know lightning storm has knockback but it is a single target and not a chaotic group mess. 

I tried searching for a topic about my question but could not weed through all the posts returned.  It’s probably been ask before. 

Just now, GamerRick said:

I have an ice/storm controller. I like the combo for thematic reasons.  When I finally was able to take Tornado I was bummed. I have seen so many times where people lambaste people for using powers with knockback.  

With that, why would you take Tornado?  In a group setting I would never use it unless maybe as a Hail Mary after half the team has died. As is, ice/storm is pitiful at soloing so it is really team dependent in my opinion. 

I know lightning storm has knockback but it is a single target and not a chaotic group mess. 

I tried searching for a topic about my question but could not weed through all the posts returned.  It’s probably been ask before. 

A knockback -> knockdown IO fixes this. Tornado really shines (even without KB->KD) during sustained single-target fights against things like AVs where its damage against a target actually becomes significant.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

The Overwhelming Force KB>KD/Damage IO increases the power's damage a bit AND turns its knockback into knockdown.  The Sudden Acceleration set has a KB>KD ONLY IO, that you can slot as many times as you like.

edit:  The Overwhelming Force is a universal damage set, and all its parts are uniques.  Sudden Acceleration is a Knockback set, and none of the components are uniques.

Edited by merrypessimist
clarification, error correction
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GamerRick said:

What?  There is a way to change KB into KD?  How?  What IO does this?  Do I need a set or is it available in DO or SO enhancements?

Do you play on Excelsior? I'll give you some.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

4 minutes ago, Pengatron said:

Tanks and Brutes like to gather the mobs close in for their pbaoe's and threat generation.

Targeted AoE powers want the mobs tightly packed for maximum effect. Things like Geyser, Fulcrum Shift, and such get max effect from tightly packed mobs.

Very true. Intelligent use of Knockback can help position the mobs near the Tanks/Brutes/Scrappers/Stalkers.

That being said, Tornado is a difficult power to control the KB.

4 hours ago, Bopper said:

Do you play on Excelsior? I'll give you some.

Well I play on Excelsior now too!  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Yeah Sudden Acceleration KB>KD is very handy for those pesky knock back powers.  I was once in a group forming a Manticore and saw the leader kick out a stormy for not having the KB>KD. The leader was indignant that the person didn't have it, when it was probably that the player just didn't know about it. Heck the leader could have just hit the AH and got them one to help the player, rather than demean them.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

27 minutes ago, Crimsonpyre said:

Yeah Sudden Acceleration KB>KD is very handy for those pesky knock back powers.  I was once in a group forming a Manticore and saw the leader kick out a stormy for not having the KB>KD. The leader was indignant that the person didn't have it, when it was probably that the player just didn't know about it. Heck the leader could have just hit the AH and got them one to help the player, rather than demean them.

This is an example of a person I one star and simply don't play with going forward.

20 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

50+ Earth)storm controller here.

Tornado is the Bomb Diggity. Take, slot it with io sets and the KB>KD io, instantly transforms the power into a big dps power, an aggro tool, so on. Tornado with KB>KD is a must have on a stormie.

I recently created an Energy/Storm Corruptor, and this is absolutely my plan with Tornado.