Yellow Salvage, what's up with that?

Yomo Kimyata

6 hours ago, tidge said:

If I were trying to understand ebil, while wearing a tin-foil hat:

My thought would be that the price jump on yellow salvage is due to a very small number of users who are motivated to pump the brakes on the rapid accumulation of INF by other folks buying yellow recipes and crafting them to be converted into rare IOs. The Uncommon salvage would be the easiest point to try to choke the supply (for arbitrary values of "rapid")

Yellow salvage would be a terrible point to try to choke the supply.  There's a basically unlimited supply of yellow salvage capped at 100k, which adds the value of approximately 1 extra enhancement converter to IO roulette.  If anyone actually thinks they could affect the amount of rolling going on like that...well, good luck to them, I guess.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

1 hour ago, Grouchybeast said:

Yellow salvage would be a terrible point to try to choke the supply.  There's a basically unlimited supply of yellow salvage capped at 100k, which adds the value of approximately 1 extra enhancement converter to IO roulette.  If anyone actually thinks they could affect the amount of rolling going on like that...well, good luck to them, I guess.

As I wrote, it seems more likely that farming habits have changed. But is there a better point? We have seen the price of yellow salvage going up by a factor of 10x (or more). Salvage is one of the few areas where you can neither make the exact one you want or easily convert into one you want. (I suppose some folks are sitting on loads of Brainstorm Ideas?)

I'm not sure I buy the idea of changed farming habits as an explanation as many (i wanna say most but don't want to risk derailing another thread on this topic) of the heavy farmers either mass vendor or delete outright c/u salvage. 

I don't know about anyone else playing City of Farmville, but I still tend to list my excess Uncommon salvage bits pretty faithfully on the AH....

Commons? Not so much. 😅

Edited by Coyotedancer

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

This complaining about yellow salvage prices is all a moot point anyway, if you ask me. Why? Because the salvage pools are shared by EVERYONE, which means that a level 1 player and a level 50 player are on the same playing field when it comes to buying and selling them. This is GOOD for the lower level player. Why? Because they can sell their yellow salvage for high prices on the market and fit themselves for TOs/DOs/SOs and common IOs EASILY with no issues. And higher level characters have an essentially infinite supply of influence pouring in left and right just from playing the game, so they're fine.

The only thing this really affects is players that are trying to fit their lower level characters with uncommon or rare IO sets. In short - powergamers. And you'll never see me cry a tear for them, they can just fire up their Fire Brute and go farm some mobs to dump some influence on their lowbie.

I'm really, REALLY not seeing the problem here, to be honest.

• Like 4
I'm out.

4 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

I don't know about anyone else playing City of Farmville, but I still tend to list my excess Uncommon salvage bits pretty faithfully on the AH....

Commons? Not so much. 😅

I list everything because... badges.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

To those selling at 1 inf to try and increase supply to drive down costs: 

Thanks, but please list a little higher.  You are just feeding the flippers.  They will buy yours for 1 and sell it for 20,000 (or whatever their price is).  Instead, try to sell it a little under the current going rate.  If the flipper has to buy it at 19,999 and sell at 20,000 the game is less fun for them.  Again, I am just making up these prices so please don't take the numbers literally.

Or if that pricing is too much effort, then consider selling for what you think a reasonable price for yellow salvage is . . . whatever number that is to you.* 

*(Waits for the person to say 1 is reasonable to them)

Edited by Bionic_Flea

1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Thanks, but please list a little higher.  You are just feeding the flippers.  They will buy yours for 1 and sell it for 20,000 (or whatever their price is).  Instead, try to sell it a little under the current going rate.  If the flipper has to buy it at 19,999 and sell at 20,000 the game is less fun for them.  Again, I am just making up these prices so please don't take the numbers literally.

Or if that pricing is too much effort, then consider selling for what you think a reasonable price for yellow salvage is . . . whatever number that is to you.

You know, if you think about it, listing drops high is far worse than flipping.  At least a flipper paid something for the item they're reselling.  I paid zero inf for that piece of yellow salvage that dropped.  I just went out and punched ersatz Nazis for fun, and the yellow salvage was literally a freebie side effect of enjoying my character.  Oh, but I earned it, people claim.  Really, though?  It was really that much harder for you to fire off a Judgement in the middle of the ITF and have a yellow salvage drop that it was to bid on the auction house?  Flippers get margin, if they're lucky, and are vulnerable to changes in the market prices, but every inf from selling a drop on the AH is pure profit sucked from the veins of our fellow players.

TL;DR: Listing drops for anything other than 1 inf is blatant profiteering, and everyone who does it should be ashamed of themselves!

Edited by Grouchybeast
  • Haha 2

Regeneratio delenda est!

43 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Waiting is over.  Twenty eight minutes.

I'm not saying that listing for one is merely reasonable.  I'm saying it's clearly the only morally correct thing to do.

Regeneratio delenda est!

4 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Or if that pricing is too much effort, then consider selling for what you think a reasonable price for yellow salvage is . . . whatever number that is to you.* 

*(Waits for the person to say 1 is reasonable them)

When you think about it, every single trade on the AH is either someone buying it now or selling it now, and they are transacting with someone who posted to sell it soon(tm) or buy it soon(tm).

If the "going rate" as you describe is the highest outstanding bid (or the floor), then it doesn't matter if you offer at 1 or if you offer at the HOB - 1.  It's still going to instantly transact at the buyer's price.

If you want to slow things down, offer it at the HOB + 1.  That way, you don't feed the flipper, and you get the first bidder higher than the current HOB.

Who run Bartertown?

1 hour ago, Grouchybeast said:

I'm not saying that listing for one is merely reasonable.  I'm saying it's clearly the only morally correct thing to do.

Sell it now?!?  But I can't wait that long!  Is there any way to sell it before I actually list it?

• Haha 2

Who run Bartertown?

True.  Assuming again the 20K price point, you could sell for 20,001 and cut out the flipper.  But you are also reinforcing 20K as the price point.

Of course, everyone is free to buy and sell at whatever price they like.  But when you sell things at 1 inf to make you feel morally superior the player you are helping is the flipper.

4 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

According to your sense of morality: What is the correct price to bid?

2 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Sell it now?!?  But I can't wait that long!  Is there any way to sell it before I actually list it?

Yes, actually, using the trading interface to trade with other characters in person. Does anyone even still use that anymore? 

• Like 1
I'm out.

1 hour ago, tidge said:

According to your sense of morality: What is the correct price to bid?

Oh, bid what you like, it's your inf.

Unless you STOLE it from other players by listing drops for more than 1 inf, I guess.  In which case, I dunno.  Give it away to the NPCs in Atlas who have been fundraising for displaced Galaxy City refugees for about ten years?

Regeneratio delenda est!

4 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

Oh, bid what you like, it's your inf.

Unless you STOLE it from other players by listing drops for more than 1 inf, I guess.  In which case, I dunno.  Give it away to the NPCs in Atlas who have been fundraising for displaced Galaxy City refugees for about ten years?

My practice is to never bid so little that the person doesn't make more than they'd get vendoring it. I'm well aware they don't need the piddling amount, but principles. A correlate to that principle is i find it morally reprehensible to bid 1 inf, and I thus sell for 11, not to steal from players but only so the 1 inf bidders don't get it. after all what good are artificial principles in an artificial economy if you can't try to enforce them on others 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sakai said:

Is the general thought that people are actually flipping yellows?  Seems like an awful lot of work to me. I'm more inclined to think people are just throwing influence around. 

Given that is really IS a pretty low-return sort of thing, if it is intentional market manipulation my guess is that whoever is doing it is just in it for the LOLs. 

They're sitting back, enjoying watching all of us do the "Man, what the heck even?"-thing. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 3/21/2020 at 1:15 PM, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

My practice is to never bid so little that the person doesn't make more than they'd get vendoring it. I'm well aware they don't need the piddling amount, but principles. A correlate to that principle is i find it morally reprehensible to bid 1 inf, and I thus sell for 11, not to steal from players but only so the 1 inf bidders don't get it. after all what good are artificial principles in an artificial economy if you can't try to enforce them on others 😄

+1

I want to reward people who place items on the AH, making them readily available for purchase when needed.  Bidding lower than the vendor rate (plus 10% market fee) is a disincentive to people placing items on the AH, since they would make more INF by vendoring the item instead.  So I bid enough that the seller earns more for putting the item on the AH than they would make vendoring it.  The slight increase in Cost Of Goods for my crafted items, & thus the slight decrease in the profitability of my end products, is negligible compared to encouraging a steady volume of raw goods available on the AH.

Feel free to join us in the crusade to make every transaction on the AH a profitable one for the seller.  The more, the merrier! 🧐

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

• 1 month later

So now yellow salvage seems to have crashed back to earth, selling this weekend at like $1K a pop.  Was someone really trying to manipulate the market on this, buying up supply, then relisting at a higher rate?  The amount of clicking would have been enormous for what amounts to a small return per click.  Did our notional yellow salvage flipper finally get bored?  Run out of funds?  Move on to another niche?  Move on to another game?  Inquiring minds want to know! 🤔

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

14 hours ago, Mister Mass said:

So now yellow salvage seems to have crashed back to earth, selling this weekend at like $1K a pop.  Was someone really trying to manipulate the market on this, buying up supply, then relisting at a higher rate?  The amount of clicking would have been enormous for what amounts to a small return per click.  Did our notional yellow salvage flipper finally get bored?  Run out of funds?  Move on to another niche?  Move on to another game?  Inquiring minds want to know! 🤔

All in a day's work, I suppose. I'm a little surprised no one is taking credit for the price jump.

giphy.gif