Mu Mystics - why are they bound?

Idiotfool

As the topic title suggests, I'm looking for information on why the Mu Mystics are all bound in leather belts. I'm unable to find any information in Paragon Wiki - are there other places to look for CoH lore for explanations like this?

Thanks!

There's a line somewhere... darned if I can remember exactly where, alas... that basically puts it in terms of restricting the body in order to focus the mind. I wish I could point you to that source, but I don't recall rather it was an in-game bit of dialogue or from one of the lore docs.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

2 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

There's a line somewhere... darned if I can remember exactly where, alas... that basically puts it in terms of restricting the body in order to focus the mind. I wish I could point you to that source, but I don't recall rather it was an in-game bit of dialogue or from one of the lore docs.

Isn't that in one of their mob description boxes when you hit "info?" I want to say it's in one of those.

I think it's also mentioned in one of the comics?  I feel like it was mentioned in the comics . . . 

But, I mean, if you wanted a meta-narrative explanation . . . my personal theory is that one of the original Devs in the art department was secretly Quentin Tarantino. 

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, ArchVileTerror said:

But, I mean, if you wanted a meta-narrative explanation . . . my personal theory is that one of the original Devs in the art department was secretly Quentin Tarantino. 

Or maybe non-moving body parts are easier to animate than moving body parts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silverado said:

Reason to make as many mu non-moving as possible when you see them.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

3 hours ago, Silverado said:

That's obviously not the reason; by the time Mu Mystics were added to the game there were more than enough existing animations they could've used. It was more work to create an entirely new skeleton, complete with animations, for them to use.

• Like 2

Working with Mu'Vorkan in Dark Astoria, there's a bit in his story where he says that, if he can achieve a certain rank, he will be allowed to show his face. That implies to me that the Mu culture/philosophy includes completely submitting one's own will and identity to the Mu.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ArchVileTerror said:

Is that expressly stated to be based on being Mu, or could it be part of Arachnos regulations?

That would be weird, since a lot of base Arachnos soldiers are helmetless. It's the higher tiered guys that are fully armored, for the most part, though there are a few exceptions.

55 minutes ago, ArchVileTerror said:

Is that expressly stated to be based on being Mu, or could it be part of Arachnos regulations?

It's definitely a Mu-specific thing, not an Arachnos thing. Only the higher ranked ones are allowed to show their faces or use individual names. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

"The path of the Mu is the path of denial of the worthless self, denial of all that would blind us to our service to our Goddess."

Paragonwiki's still a thing 🙂 though that's the only sort of direct answer I can see from there. At least the main lore page.

Edited by Greycat
  • Like 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

7 hours ago, Greycat said:

Reason to make as many mu non-moving as possible when you see them.

That would make sense if the animations for people didn't exist. 

I think it's more to do with the creapiness factor. They're weird, unfamiliar and spooky.

37 minutes ago, Herotu said:

That would make sense if the animations for people didn't exist.

... you realize I was just saying "WHen you see them, defeat them, at which point they don't move," right...   😉

13 hours ago, Greycat said:

... you realize I was just saying "WHen you see them, defeat them, at which point they don't move," right...   😉

If you have to explain the joke...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting