Announcing TWO Costume Contests: (Anniversary) May 2nd & (Mutation) May 23rd!

GM Miss

• Retired Lead Game Master

Today we’re announcing not only one, but two May Costume Contests!

Contest 1: Unthemed Anniversary Costume Contest (May 2nd)

Come on out to Kallisti Wharf to celebrate the anniversary of CoX and Homecoming! Bring your best, funniest, cutest, and most interesting costumes for a chance to win MAJOR prizes! There is no theme - so bring whatever costume is in your heart! They sky is the limit. 

Contest 2: Origin Theme: Mutation (May 23rd)

Our second costume contest of the month will be a continuation of our origin themes and this time around - its mutation! Try to stay on theme for this one! Mutations can result from DNA mistakes made during cell division, exposure to radiation, chemicals, or infections! There are so many options for this one - I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. 

When?

• The first contest will take place on May 2nd@ 9pm UTC
  • The second contest will take place on May 23rd @ 9pm UTC
  • 9pm UTC is:
    • 10pm UK time
    • 5pm Eastern time
    • 2pm Pacific time
    • 11pm Central European time
    • Click here to see 9pm UTC in your timezone

Where?

• Statesman Plaza in the centre of Kallisti Wharf on all five shards (Torchbearer, Excelsior, Reunion, Indomitable and Everlasting)
    • Heroes can reach Kallisti Wharf via the tram
    • Villains can reach Kallisti Wharf via the Smuggler’s Submarine in Sharkhead Isle and Grandville

Prizes for the Anniversary Costume Contest

• The 5 best costumes on each shard will win:
    • 1 permanent costume power
    • A permanent golden title: Anniversary Costume Contest Runner-Up 
    • 150 reward merits
  • The best costume on each shard will win:
    • 1 permanent costume power
    • A permanent golden title: Anniversary Costume Contest Finalist 
    • 300 reward merits
  • The single best overall costume will win: 
    • 3 permanent costume powers
    • A permanent golden title: Anniversary Costume Contest Winner
    • 1000 reward merits

Prizes for the Mutation Costume Contest

• The 5 best costumes on each shard will win:
    • A permanent golden title: Mutation Costume Contest Runner-Up 
    • 150 reward merits
  • The best costume on each shard will win:
    • A permanent golden title: Mutation Costume Contest Finalist
    • 300 reward merits
  • The single best overall costume will win:
    • A permanent golden title: Mutation Costume Contest Winner 
    • 1000 reward merits

Contact me on Discord (Miss#1337) for a faster response!

Want more information on lore pets?

Want to get involved in our weekly discussions on discord or the forums?

• Jimmy featured this topic
31 minutes ago, Cheapshot said:

What's a "permanent costume power"?

My guess is that it's something like the Halloween costume temp powers (from ToTing), except not temporary.

A cool twist might be a power that linked to the winning costume but otherwise worked like the ToT powers, effectively freeing up a costume slot.

37 minutes ago, Cheapshot said:

What's a "permanent costume power"?

They're like the Halloween costumes -- a power that completely replaces your character model with another one -- except that, unlike the Halloween costumes, they don't expire.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 1:10 PM, jagspowar said:

Are the titles and powers account-wide or per character?

Title is set on a single toon. I’d assume the power is as well and not account wide. 

Edited by The Trinket
Typo

The costumes will be account wide - the title and badge are per character! Give me a few minutes and Ill grab a link to the costumes!

I would like to humbly suggest you start these things on time in the future...  You post a time, you broadcast a time, you have people waiting around for close to an hour to make sure they are on time.  There should be no reason not to start on time.

But hey, things happen.  If a judge has a bio emergency or whatever, that is fine...

BUT announcing that the start will be delayed for the late people??  Their tardiness should not be rewarded, my punctuality should not be punished.  I only see two reasons to wait for the people who couldn't make it on time...  Either the person you want to win isn't there yet, or you think so little about those who bothered to show up on time that you figure "screw them, they waited this long they can wait longer."  And quite frankly, I do not know which I find more offensive.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I am ranting and being a bit of a nit.  Whatever.  I walked and won't be bothering again.  I value my time even if you do not.

• 2 weeks later

We value everyone's time and appreciate every single person that comes to spend time with our team. I apologize if you had a bad experience - feel free to message me directly about it. I am always up for making improvements! 🙂

The winner of the mutation costume contest on Everlasting used a bug to create their unique appearance. That seems unfair for other players who don't know how to replicate the bug or aren't using the bug for their costumes. He was the only one with that glitch and he won the contest. Is there some kind of exception to bugged outfits?

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.1dd53fba9d7fec6bf343f3387088debe.png

I guess this turned into "Horror Monster" or "Hideous Creature" theme instead of Mutation theme. The winners looked great, but not what I would have expected given the theme. At least, given that a majority of the winners were like that.

• Like 1

I want to say that there is certainly a great deal of appreciation for the community events being run by the Homecoming Team, and I certainly do not want to discourage any of you . . . but, yeah . . . it might be time for a little bit of an internal audit for the policies and judgement criteria related to costume contests.  Maybe take a break from costumes for a month and explore some other community events where prizes can be shared with the community.  Perhaps provide smaller prize pools, hand them over to community leaders on various Shards, and have them run events under strict, enforceable guidelines.  Maybe you'll find something that's more compelling, enjoyable, accessible, and pleasing to the community this way.

• Like 2

I participated, on excelsior, and it seemed to go alright. I am grateful for the effort and participation from both organizers and other players

Things that should not be "fixed:"

• It's always interesting to me who is chosen, but aesthetics have no right or wrong answer. Those holding a contest have their own likes and dislikes, so we get to see what the judges like most...but there shouldn't be any dismissal of the choices, because there is no 'best' objective answer, just those chosen as winners.

What could be improved:

• I realize there was not much time, but if there could be some communication to those involved what the prizes were, as this was not relayed during the contest in-game
  • For those who place, an email or private tell discussing what their placement was and what prizes were available (Only the server top five and top winner were announced) 
  • Like 1

Costume manipulation wont be considered legitimate in costume contests. Any costume manipulation will be disqualified. It is an issue that will be fixed and isn't allowed on HC.

If you have ideas on how to improve CCs in the future, its best to be constructive. Costume Contests are very subjective. We have a variety of GMs judging each of the shards every month and everyone has specific tastes. We do our best to keep on theme.

Instead of, "I didn't like that!" Send me a pm and let me know some ways you would like to see them improved.

• GM Miss unfeatured this topic

Are the pics of the winners/attendees in another thread somewhere?  If so, can someone please direct me to it?

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

With categories like mutation or magic or tech its very open ended as to what kind of costumes one can create. And as has been correctly pointed out each GM has thier own tastes.

That being said the GMs decision is final.

For future CCs i would like to recommend subcategories for the more open ended themes.

For example in the mutation theme we could have the "Monstrous" mutations and the "Benign" mutations.  With two finalists being picked from each subcategory and the winner being picked from these 4 finalists. 

Magic can be things like: elemental and ancient or modern

Tech can have subcategories like: steampunk, high-tech (robots, mech), and biotech (like cyborgs)

Just my 2 cents

Edited by TrueBornTyrant
Added more

<---- Suggestion forum is that way

Also, not to brag but I am not sure why my guy won on Indomitable in the top 5.  Costume was just bio-luminescence skin colored dark, an aura that looked like a ooze falling off, amd Bio-Armor made up the rest of the effect with a gaseous titan weapon in his hands.  His biography might of helped, being a former Paragon water works engineer and he spent most of the time in the sewers....after unblocking a Hydra blob and getting dragged into the sewer he ended up as....a mutant turd 😆

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer