Archtype Challenge

BasherBot

Round 2  

16 members have voted

1. 1. The vote

• Brute (Ice Melee/Fire Aura)
    • Controller (Gravity Control/Force Field)
    • Corruptor (Fire Blast/Storm Summoning)
    • Defender (Cold Domination/Sonic Attack)
    • Dominator (Earth Control/Energy Assault)
    • Mastermind (Necromancy/Trick Arrow)
    • Scrapper (Spines/Regeneration)
    • Stalker (Kinetic Melee/Ice Armor)
    • Tanker (Stone Armor/War Mace)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/08/20 at 12:00 AM

today I am restarting my archtype challenge, where I attempt to level all possible powerset combinations to lvl 50 (with maybe some end game progression tacked on towards the end).

The goal: To learn how each powerset works and what synergies they have with other each other (all while having fun)

The process: Standard leveling for this one, with some TFs here and there. Starting with the Matthew story arc and moving onward from there. Note: There will be no use of p2w utilities. This is meant to reflect the new/average player, using powerlvling strats would only devalue the process.

The Toons:

Arrow of Lose (Archery/Atomic Manipulation Blaster)

There will be updates very once in a while (will aim for once a week, but no guarentee) and some AT combos will be up to vote. I will keep the number of in progress toons between 2-3 to keep variety, which also means all toons will be of different ATs. Suggestions and Feedback are always welcome... just remember to be friendly and have fun!

Edited by BasherBot
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

I voted merc/emp MM cuz I have one at 50+ and I'd love to hear someone else's take on it 😁

Good luck!

unfortunately for you, the Psy/Pain Corrupter is pulling ahead by one vote so far 😛

1 hour ago, EmmySky said:

I voted merc/emp MM cuz I have one at 50+ and I'd love to hear someone else's take on it 😁

Good luck!

I have a Merc/Emp MM. Unfortunately, I got distracted by other shinies, before they changed the pet AI for them and haven't really gotten back to him.

Agent Dispatch is in the low 40s, though. Was difficult to keep the mercs in healing range back then without putting myself and all of them in the middle of the group of bad guys.

I had the same problem with a Bots/Kin MM (upper 30s).

Currently, I'm playing a Grav/Time Controller. In the process of tricking her out for +mag holds.

You will love WP/Ice on a tanker.  Willpower is blessedly simple, provides layered defense and resistance,  and now you don't need to worry about an inferior aggro aura.  /Ice secondary is full of control that will be both useful to your team and amusing to watch. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Mini update: Radiation Melee's gimmick is very fun to play around with. Just with the t2 basic and the aoe at lvl 2 I can easily cleave down groups early. Contaminating lieutenants or bosses and then using the spread to kill minions has given the best results for me so far. Just got fusion on my last session, eager to play around with that and the power that comes right after it. Regen is... surprisingly squishy. Without reconstitution, you get burned down relatively fast while clearing early groups if you're not careful. One advantage Regen has is the sustain it proves and on-demand healing allow you to more reliably move from pack to pack without having to use Inspirations or Rest as often as other builds would. Combined with Rad's built in healing, I'm expecting Radiant Gem to be a self sufficient tank with strong aoe and little need to worry about endurance usage.

Haven't touched Madam Nightblade since creating her, planning on player her tonight or tomorrow though, so expect to hear more about her on the official update on friday.

• Thanks 1

Update #1:

Radiant Gem is currently lvl 10. So far I am enjoying the set up and it's damage potential... but the defense capabilities are still lacking. Having no toggles is interesting as it allows me to use my endurance a bit more freely without fear of losing my damage mitigation to do so. Let's go over my current set up a little and explain my reasoning and experiences with each power.

Radioactive Smash: Standard T2 grab for level 1. The move does good damage and has an added knockdown for utility. I do not regret grabbing the T2 over the T1, but I am tempted to try out a build with the T1 to see how it feels.

Fast Healing: The game doesn't give you much of a choice for your secondaries, but I've found the passive regen from this power quite useful so far.

Proton Sweep: Grabbed this at level 2 for the AoE. I quickly learned how annoying it is to properly position point black cone effects... luckily the DoT more then makes up for my horrendous positioning skill. XD

Reconstruction: As much as I would love to grab Super Speed at level 4... I found that my durability was lacking. The amount of passive healing I got wasn't making up for the lack of defenses and resistances I also had. Reconstruction gave me a tool to actively heal myself in a pinch. I just wish it healed a tinny bit more then it did sometimes.

Fusion: Build up is love, build up is life... a build up that actively uses my special gimmick to it's advantage? Yes please! Just need to remember to use it more often. lol

Radiation Siphon: I felt it was time to grab my big hitter going into level 8 (as tempting as Quick Recovery was), so I grabbed Siphon on level. It hits hard, has a high chance to apply Contamination and will heal you if you hit a contaminated target. My one complaint is that, since Contamination is RNG based, you can't always rely on Siphon to give you a heal when you need it to. Otherwise, big damage, big heal, big fun.

Quick Recovery: Literally just because I wanted to extra endurance recovery to spam more skills out with.

so far so good on the Rad/Regen Brute. As for Madam Nightblade, she's level 6 at the moment and in the middle of the Twinshi- I mean Twinshot storyline. Ninja Training seems a bit standard at the moment, while Dual Pistols is interesting to say the least.

Dual Wield: Another Standard T2 grab, though the Knockback is an interesting piece of utility for it. The knockback doesn't seem often enough to pose a problem, but I might want to look at grabbing Sudden Acceleration for it sometime in the future... especially for group content. Don't want to throw a important enemy overboard.

Immobilizing Dart: Some situation as Fast Healing, with less effectiveness because T1 Blast secondaries are always sort of middling at best. The crowd control is nice at least.

Empty Clips: A Standard AoE grab at level 2. Having an AoE knockdown is always nice and it has good range behind it as well.

Choking Powder: Fun fact, I like stuns. So I decided to play around with the stun in Choking Powder instead of grabbing a movement ability for level 4. I'm liking it so far. The ability to temporarily remove a mob from combat (if it hits) is always nice to have.

Swap Ammo: Seems pretty standard for Dual Pistols to grab it and use Incendiary Rounds. I do have one question with Swap Ammo so far, does it's secondary effects replace the secondary effects of the other skills? Or is it added on top of them?

That's it from me for today, going to be making the poll character tomorrow when it closes officially. I hope everyone has a fine day this friday and enjoy some good old fashion City of Heroes.

On 6/7/2020 at 9:33 PM, BasherBot said:

It's looking like the Psychic/Pain Corruptor has a high chance of winning... so, anyone have any thematic suggestions?

I made one a while ago purely based on a really bad pun that I wanted to use for a name.  My theme was pretty much an evil doctor who used hypnotism for nefarious and rarely medically necessary purposes.

• Like 2

Who run Bartertown?

2 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I made one a while ago purely based on a really bad pun that I wanted to use for a name.  My theme was pretty much an evil doctor who used hypnotism for nefarious and rarely medically necessary purposes.

Bad puns are the best reason to make a character.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BasherBot said:

I would like to apologies to everyone... I got back into WoW and... sorta forgot about CoH for a bit...

No apologies necessary, you do you!  The moment it feels like a job or something you have to report in for is the moment you need a break.  Glad to have ya back though 😀

4 hours ago, Black Zot said:

World of Warcrack is a tough monkey to get off your back.

I had no problems punching that monkey in the face.

I gave WoW a try for a month, to help out a couple of friends that play it.

Could not get into it. Uninstalled it and never looked back.

6 minutes ago, Twisted Toon said:

I had no problems punching that monkey in the face.

I gave WoW a try for a month, to help out a couple of friends that play it.

Could not get into it. Uninstalled it and never looked back.

one month is nothing compared to several years of commitment XD

Why would I commit to something I didn't like...

Well, I suppose I should ask myself that about Dr. Pepper. 🤔

I have several offline (as much as Steam will let you play off line) games that I rotate through when I get bored with one.

I was recently playing Xcom 2, but, when my saves somehow got corrupted, I quit in favor of Master of Orion (remake).

I have a DP/Nin and I enjoy it very much. 

I saw this thread earlier and while I think I have enough (cough) alts, I figured I'd do something different-- picking a power set/combo and limiting it's power choices based on theme. For example, I have an AR/Dev Blaster who's a soldier and he skips the non-soldiery powers like Ignite and Flame Thrower (pri) and caltrops (sec); also just rolled a DP/Dev who's just a regular guy with a gun--he only picks the non-flashy ST attacks (T1, T2, T6, T7) and all of the Fighting Pool powers.

Incidentally I have friend who likes doing this as well, but he's more of a fanatic than I am... like only choosing ignite and flame thrower from AR for a Firefly-inspired toon, or just the Mu Mastery attacks for his Mu.

Well trying to play every AT and every possible power combo was a pretty daunting task to begin with. Then feeling obligated to report to everyone about your progress seemed more like a job than a challenge. Good for you doing you.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)