My questions about servers and a million other things as a returning enthusiast!

Aeroprism

49 minutes ago, MTeague said:

The alt-itis is too strong to resist... you must have at least one of every AT, for each faction, equal numbers male and female, equally numbers of mutants, and magic, and tech, and...  

Okay. Maybe that's just my own OCD  🙂

You must have the same amount of PVE characters, PVP characters, and RP characters.

14 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

While I completely understand what you mean, my question was mainly: will I be the only person having fun in Faultline or Boomtown because everyone wants on in the Rikti raids so they level to 50 as fast as humanely possible?

I remember Mission Architect completely breaking the game back then. That and you ended up with a legion of people with no idea how to play their Archetype.

Already been answered, but I can also confirm that content and teams exist for all levels on Excelsior. The only issue is finding teams for villains, since redside has a much smaller population in comparison. It's not impossible, and I've ran a few redside teams myself, but it's not nearly as prevalent.

And also, welcome back, hero (or villain 😉 )!

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

Hero!  Hero all the way! (I never really got into CoV. I need to give it a better shot)

Another question: is there a way to duplicate all my preferences to other characters: (key mapping, window size, chat window filters etc)

Thanks!

There should be "save" and "load" buttons at the bottom of the Options menu that take care of the keymapping, UI scale and that lot.

For your Chat preferences... Set up everything the way you like on one character, and use the command /chatsave 

After that, you ought to be able to use /chatload on new characters to get the same set-up.

ETA: Just for the sheer heck of it... here's a list of all the slash commands. Some of them can really be useful.

https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Slash_Commands

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Thanks 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

@CoyotedancerYou're fast becoming my hero of the day!

And since this topic has been nothing but awesome so fat as to answering question, I have this strange issue you guys might know about: I use LEFT/RIGHT clock a lot to walk forward but whenever I used it for more than 2-3 seconds, the character switches to auto-walk.  Is that normal?

Edited by Aeroprism

On 8/25/2020 at 1:39 AM, Abraxus said:

There is one server (Reunion I think) that is based in Europe, for the benefit of our players there.  But, yeah.  The rest are based in Canada last I knew.

You have no idea how much of a revelation this is for me. I've always assumed that all the servers are in the same place. I live in Asia and I get very bad latency on Torchbearer. I'd assassinate an enemy and the game only tells me if he's dead or not a full second after the completion of the animation, for example. I then learned that the servers are in Canada, so I just shrugged and resigned myself to the poor latency. 

But the fact that Reunion is in a different location is a pleasant surprise. So, I hastily created a new character there and tested the latency with /netgraph 1 and compared it with a character on Torchbearer. Sure enough, on Reunion, I got 250 ms on average while on Torchbearer, it was 345. I got 100 ms less on a European server! Granted, Torchbearer was having medium load while Reunion was having light load. I may have to test again when Reunion has medium load.

Now, I am seriously thinking of transferring all my characters over to Reunion. I may have to learn the do's and don'ts of transferring characters properly.

• Like 1

See? My topic helped 🙂

So I've been here three or four days now. My overwehelming enthusiasm managed to convince 4 of my ex-CoH Veteran friends to jump back in with me and it's been three full evenings of mayhem in a row. 

Wow.  This place is seriously amazing. And yesterday we discovered the cell shader; it makes the game into so much more!

So although this topic was originally about servers, is it against forum etiquette if I use it to ask a thousand more unspecific questions or is there a place for that?  No sense starting a thread every time I have a simple question.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2020 at 2:30 PM, Aeroprism said:

How's the levelling curve? Do people actually enjoy the game or it is still a Mission Architect fest to get from 1 to 50 in three hours?  To put you in context: I played CoH and then CoV for many, many months and I only ever got ONE character to 50.

Some people farm a lot.  Some farm a bit.  Some don't farm.

On 8/24/2020 at 2:37 PM, Aeroprism said:

While I completely understand what you mean, my question was mainly: will I be the only person having fun in Faultline or Boomtown because everyone wants on in the Rikti raids so they level to 50 as fast as humanely possible?

That's really two questions.  Will you be the only person in Boomtown?  Probably.  I hate Boomtown.  😛

Seriously, though, so far I have six level 50's and that is with ZERO farming.  Also, I don't do Mothership Raids or Hamidon Raids until AFTER I'm level 50.

What I do is A LOT of task forces.  That's my preferred way of leveling.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:55 AM, Aeroprism said:

Another question: is there a way to duplicate all my preferences to other characters: (key mapping, window size, chat window filters etc)

Someone already answered this, but I want to add something.  For me, a major quality of life item is the existence of bind files.  Any power that I have in common across multiple characters (Nemesis Staff, Recall Friend, base teleport, Ouro Portal, etc, etc), I set up a keybind.  Then, when I create a new character, I type in the chat window:  /bindloadfile c:\data\text\coh\binds_main.txt and that loads close to 30 keybinds.  And one of THOSE keybinds loads the chat file with a single keypress to configure my chat window.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

8 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

So although this topic was originally about servers, is it against forum etiquette if I use it to ask a thousand more unspecific questions or is there a place for that?  No sense starting a thread every time I have a simple question.

So long as you change the topic title, you can post whatever you'd like and ask whatever questions you have. This is the general board after all, so pretty much anything goes topic-wise, so long as it's related to CoH.

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

2 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Some people farm a lot.  Some farm a bit.  Some don't farm.

What Ironblade said.

There are a lot of different approaches to leveling these days.

Personally, I've burned out hard on the low level parts of the game. I would rather never make another alt than see the Hollows or Mercy Island again.

I have a much-beloved fire farming Brute named Harry my secondary account, though, and I can dual-box... So, when I make a new character I tend to toss them into a AE map for a round of Angry Cosplayer-bashing. That gets the newbie to about 30, which is where the game starts to be fun for me again, and earns some seed money that my farmer can toss them to build their common IOs. From there? I level them normally, "old school" style, either soloing or with PUG-and-friends teams.  Call it a hybrid approach. Part speed-leveling and part not.

37 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

And that's exactly what I did 🙂

How is hover these days? Can it be used in tandem with swift (enhanced with flight speed) to move around in instances or is it still a ridiculous crawl?

Pick up enough movement speed set bonuses and you'll end up zipping around like a colorful spandex mozzie. XD

All on its own without those bonuses it's still pretty slow, though. A Flight Speed enhancement in Swift ought to apply to it IIRC. (I stick to Run Speed in mine-)

43 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

How is hover these days? Can it be used in tandem with swift (enhanced with flight speed) to move around in instances or is it still a ridiculous crawl?

I couldn't tell you which issues but they've buffed Hover's flight speed a couple time since I used it to enjoy a very slow crawl across the Storm Palace.  It's an efficient, controllable manner to move about indoor maps (5 layer purple cave etc.)

And yes Swift can be enhanced for Fly Spd ... as can Quickness in /SR.  Which probably helped my Scrapper out quite a bit back when she used Hover to move about the Shards when she missed a geyser/jump

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

3 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

Pick up enough movement speed set bonuses and you'll end up zipping around like a colorful spandex mozzie. XD

All on its own without those bonuses it's still pretty slow, though. A Flight Speed enhancement in Swift ought to apply to it IIRC. (I stick to Run Speed in mine-)

Agent Legacy has 1 flight enhancement in Swift, and 1 flight enhancement in Hover and, naybe, a couple of movement bonus enhancements.

Her flight speed with hover is around 35 mph.

That is without actually trying to beef it up.

On live, I had a character with hover that was reasonably close to the flight speed cap at 50 with hover.

I also had a Widow that ran close to base Super Speed with Ninja Run and Sprint...

On 8/28/2020 at 6:09 PM, Aeroprism said:

Yes, to both questions. Also, the P2W vendor will give you a jump jet or steam booster (one is free, you need to buy the other).

If you buy both, you can always have one ready.

Activating either puts Hover at the Flight speed cap*. You just need to aim toward the ground, or you zoom upward. Hover is definitely improved since the old days.

*Disclaimer, you may need to slot an SO or better into Swift to hit the cap. It's around 55 mph.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

If you do decide to give red side a go, I would say Everlasting has the largest red side population. Rumor has it that we once almost got a 2:1 ratio of Heroes to Villains!

That said, thanks to null the gull, it's not terribly hard to fill a team unless it's after midnight.

Midnight Thorn, Overlord of Ivory Tower.  (Everlasting)

Hello again beautiful people!  Been enjoying this fabulous homecoming quite a lot in the last 10 days since I joined.

Quick question: Though most of my playtime was in group, I do have a solo scrapper I play to slowly enjoy the new story arcs but after I was done with Eagle Eye and the Back Alley Brawler mission (after the Veles arc), I could no longer find any new story arc contact, only old-school regular ones.

Please tell me that the new awesome story arks don't just end there and then.

5 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

Hello again beautiful people!  Been enjoying this fabulous homecoming quite a lot in the last 10 days since I joined.

Quick question: Though most of my playtime was in group, I do have a solo scrapper I play to slowly enjoy the new story arcs but after I was done with Eagle Eye and the Back Alley Brawler mission (after the Veles arc), I could no longer find any new story arc contact, only old-school regular ones.

Please tell me that the new awesome story arks don't just end there and then.

I think the next newer contacts happen at level 15: Graham Easton and Laura Lockheart in Steel Canyon. You can tell they're new because their faces don't look like they've been melted by sadness.

There will probably be some ranges where you need to fill the gaps with older content. But the majority of the time there should be something quality to do.

Edited by Lines