My questions about servers and a million other things as a returning enthusiast!

Aeroprism

In a superhero context, I don't really RP.  Besides, once powers start being clicked, this game becomes way too fast paced to start describing everything.  I guess I'll first roll on Excelsior!

How's the levelling curve? Do people actually enjoy the game or it is still a Mission Architect fest to get from 1 to 50 in three hours?  To put you in context: I played CoH and then CoV for many, many months and I only ever got ONE character to 50.

1 minute ago, Aeroprism said:

In a superhero context, I don't really RP.  Besides, once powers start being clicked, this game becomes way too fast paced to start describing everything.  I guess I'll first roll on Excelsior!

How's the levelling curve? Do people actually enjoy the game or it is still a Mission Architect fest to get from 1 to 50 in three hours?  To put you in context: I played CoH and then CoV for many, many months and I only ever got ONE character to 50.

It can be either, or both.  With 1,000 slots available, you can decide for each character how you wish to progress.  There are so many ways with this much content, you shouldn't have to repeat the same way twice for awhile, between Hero, Villain, and Pratorian starting points, and the ability to easily jump between them by using NULL The Gull in Pocket D.

What was no more, is REBORN!

While I completely understand what you mean, my question was mainly: will I be the only person having fun in Faultline or Boomtown because everyone wants on in the Rikti raids so they level to 50 as fast as humanely possible?

I remember Mission Architect completely breaking the game back then. That and you ended up with a legion of people with no idea how to play their Archetype.

I've found that Homecoming is way more mellow about the pace of levelling than my experience of Live was. Even on Reunion, you can find people happy to play across the level ranges.

I couldn't be happier.

Edited by Lines

6 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

A lot of people are happy to jump to 50 as fast as possible & play the powerful characters that they intended to play.  And some of us are content to level slowly, level locking every 5 levels or so in order to experience as much of the leveling content as possible.  I imagine there are players like the latter on every server, although I can only speak for Torchbearer, where my alts reside.

• Like 1

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

9 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

You can powerlevel characters very fast if that's your thing.  I hear of people who get a character to 50 in a weekend, if not faster.

That is COMPLETELY opposite to how I roll.  I've been playing since June 2019.  In that 14 months, I've created ~ 40 characters, and exactly THREE of them are 50's.  (though I have one closing in at 49).

I deliberately level slowly.  I solo half the time, team the other half of the time.  But when I join a team, I tend to disable XP (there's an option to disable it) after 2 missions, because I don't want my characters to ding toooo fast.  Even though I can use Ouroborus and go back and do things via flashback later on, I still ALSO like to get at least 1/4 to 1/3 of the content as I level up.  And after 4 years of EverQuest and 8 years of WoW, I've hit a burnout on the "keeping up wtih the Jones's" appeal of speedlevelling.  I'm going to smell a lot of roses as my characters level up.  I'll enjoy it a heck of a lot more.

Now, my way may not fit your approach to the game, and that's cool.  It don't have to.  But you CAN level as quickly or as slowly as you wish. 

And as a tip for a new player: 

"I just want to say two words to you, just two words:  Enhancement Converters"

• Like 5

Excelsior is definitely the most populated server and very active. Everlasting and Torch are also great servers. Torch is similar to Excelsior, and Everlasting has a very healthy RP'ing community. My primary server has been Excelsior, but I have transferred and leveled alts on Everlasting and Torch. I bounce between servers depending on my mood. I would recommend you try creating characters on each. I can't speak to the other servers because I don't have any characters on them.

The speed to level to 50 can be very fast even without farming. DFB until 15, then DiB, SBB and the TF's will get you leveled very fast. Then MSR's and ITF's will push you across the finish line.  From what I have experienced plenty of people are taking their time leveling, so I doubt you will ever have a hard time finding teams. 

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

2 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

In a superhero context, I don't really RP.  Besides, once powers start being clicked, this game becomes way too fast paced to start describing everything.

Heh. No, you won't see that on an RP server. Quick quips thrown off, maybe a comment during a little down time (or while hunting down that last freaking mob...) but it's not like, "I see the enemy! I draw my sword, which shimmers in the lab's unnatural fluorescent lights, and prepare to strike!" *push button for attack.* "I haul back and prepare to follow up!" *push button.* RP generally takes place in certain areas, or in a SG setting - though you will get people putting out that they're running an RP team. You can go and just mash buttons and mostly ignore that you're on an RP server, if that's what you want. It's a pretty good crowd, regardless.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

12 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Heh. No, you won't see that on an RP server. Quick quips thrown off, maybe a comment during a little down time (or while hunting down that last freaking mob...) but it's not like, "I see the enemy! I draw my sword, which shimmers in the lab's unnatural fluorescent lights, and prepare to strike!" *push button for attack.* "I haul back and prepare to follow up!" *push button.* RP generally takes place in certain areas, or in a SG setting - though you will get people putting out that they're running an RP team. You can go and just mash buttons and mostly ignore that you're on an RP server, if that's what you want. It's a pretty good crowd, regardless.

I have been known to look at a room full of Circle of Thorn, line after line of dark mages with a couple of captives held helpless in green energy ready to be sacrificed, spectral demons patrolling and wailing menacingly, and behemoth masters fresh from hell and still burning.  then type into team chat:  "They look friendly. I bet we can talk this over. This is probably a huge misunderstanding."

I usually get a chuckle or two with that one.  

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

I have been known to look at a room full of Circle of Thorn, line after line of dark mages with a couple of captives held helpless in green energy ready to be sacrificed, spectral demons patrolling and wailing menacingly, and behemoth masters fresh from hell and still burning.  then type into team chat:  "They look friendly. I bet we can talk this over. This is probably a huge misunderstanding."

I usually get a chuckle or two with that one.  

You would if you were on a team with one of my magi. XD

But.. yeah. RP mission teams aren't all that different from not-RPed ones. There are just more puns and cheeky comments. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

And PvP is not required if you choose Indomitable, lots of us dont know the first thing about PvP.  99% of the folks are friendly and helpful, 1 or 2 need to be iggied daily, a few asshats (although we all have our moments I'm sure).  

The fastest 1 to 50 trip I have heard of was 82 minutes...but he is a math wiz and knows stuff.  The longest is someone who played 8 yrs on live and about 6 months here before finally getting a 50.  Take whatever path you want and there are folks to join you or help you along the way.

Welcome home!

Edit:  forgot to add that on Indom we do occasionally PvP in chat but its all in fun!

Edited by EmmySky

9 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

Am I dreaming or is the WHOLE fitness pool gained free, by default now?

How exactly am I expected to love you more without sounding creepy?

That happened on live quite a while back. It was a pretty good move.

Homecoming does have many other QOL changes, as well as balance and economic changes that have largely improved things so much. It's hard to list them all.

Be sure to locate the p2w vendor and see what they have in stock. Next time you're in Pocket D, see what options Null the Gull has for you.

Edited by Lines

10 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

I guess I wasn't around anymore when the live servers stopped, probably on another MMO back then.

If you weren't around for Inherent Fitness in I19, then you have a ton of awesome new content awaiting you from between then and shutdown, you lucky thing!

And welcome home :-)

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

You can level any way you want for sure, but many people like to buy the Free Double Experience power from the P2W vendor so if you decide not to, your teammates may outlevel you very quickly. 

If you want to run contact missions it’s best to be the team leader and recruit, there’s always people lfg but not always people willing to put one together.

On Everlasting, and most severs I assume,  the most popular missions are the DFB (Atlas Park lowbie exp grind, but with badges if you do it right) and the weekly task forces (double merits! It turns out people love merits!). Task forces in general seem to be happening constantly, merits seem to be highly motivating.

There is also definitely still AE farms but they aren’t necessary even for those looking to speed level. Peregrine Island +4x8 Council missions work just as well.

Edited by TJBC

Gosh I really need to jump back into it to understand some of this.  

I once again really want to emphasize on how much I appreciate everyone's willingness to answer and help!  I hope we can run a mission or ten together in the weeks to come!

If you weren't around for Inherent Fitness in I19, then you have a ton of awesome new content awaiting you from between then and shutdown, you lucky thing!

And welcome home 🙂

This.  This goes straight to my heart.

Edited by Aeroprism

6 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

You can go either way on the xp thing.  If you want to level quickly (and it does not sound like you do), there is a P2W vendor that will enable you to select a power that will trade off inf for xp, so you can accumulate 2x xp if you find things too grindy.  The vendor has all kinds of QoL goodies, many of them free.

On the flip side, as long as you are playing at a reasonably active hour (and maybe even unreasonable ones too), if you advertise in the Looking For Group channel what you are doing, you can frequently get people to join you in missions.  Something like "Lvl 20 doing Doc Delilah missions in Faultline, anyone want to join?" will often get you a partial or full team relatively quickly.  Do not use the Find Member interface, since I don't think anyone uses that anymore.  Also, you will get a much better reaction if you are actively forming the team than if you are passively asking if anyone needs a teammate.

Welcome back.  Happy hunting!

Who run Bartertown?

40 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

Gosh I really need to jump back into it to understand some of this.  

I once again really want to emphasize on how much I appreciate everyone's willingness to answer and help!  I hope we can run a mission or ten together in the weeks to come!

This.  This goes straight to my heart.

Consider getting mids reborn, also, don't be afraid to ask for help at any time.

Edited by SwitchFade

3 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

Am I dreaming or is the WHOLE fitness pool gained free, by default now?

How exactly am I expected to love you more without sounding creepy?

Just wait till you discover the glory of enhancement converters. 

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/2688-how-to-make-millions-on-the-market-in-minutes/

Edited by Saikochoro

5 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

I guess I wasn't around anymore when the live servers stopped, probably on another MMO back then.

Man the memory juice is flowing... This game is even better than I remembered it.

Now I need to settle on 5-6 characters to start with.

The alt-itis is too strong to resist... you must have at least one of every AT, for each faction, equal numbers male and female, equally numbers of mutants, and magic, and tech, and...  

Okay. Maybe that's just my own OCD  🙂