Malta Sappers....

krj12

36 minutes ago, skoryy said:

Someone has yet to experience the joy of dropping Deceive on a sapper.

Confused Sappers don’t do crap. They’re even-level with the mobs around them, so they don’t have the accuracy advantage being higher-level brings and miss a lot. And on even-level targets they aren’t strong enough to drain the blue bar in one go, and an NPC with 1/2 a blue bar might as well have a full blue bar.

1 hour ago, AerialAssault said:

So are we making this game easier or harder or what.

Please Suggestions, make up your mind.

lol yes 

I personally want it to be harder.  Preferably by making the baddies behave in a manner that is more realistic and less mornic.  

Like with Malta, maybe the Gunslingers would run and get the next group (or two) so the Sappers up ahead could ambush the team.  

But I don't want to impose my will on people, just how I feel about it.  I get bored curbstomping everyone. 

Edited by Haijinx
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Like with Malta, maybe the Gunslingers would run and get the next group (or two) so the Sappers up ahead could ambush the team.  

I think the game TRIES to to this, in some of the AI.  I can't tell you how many times I've had runners flee down the hall and stand right in the center of the next group of mobs.  I've seen this with Family, Malta, Arachnos, Outcasts, Sky Raiders, and Longbow for sure. 

But as long as you don't follow them in?  And as long as you don't attack them while they're standing next to their buddies?  Nothing aggros.

It makes me a bit sad.  The AI is clearly trying to chain aggro, but must be forbidden to, at a code level.

I suppose it's for the best.  Not everyone has an Immob or a Slow, and some things like Slag Golems and War Wolves just can't BE Slowed or Immob'd.  I'm sure it would destroy many characters if aggro did chain like I keep expecting it to from the EverQuest days.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MTeague said:

I think the game TRIES to to this, in some of the AI.  I can't tell you how many times I've had runners flee down the hall and stand right in the center of the next group of mobs.  I've seen this with Family, Malta, Arachnos, Outcasts, Sky Raiders, and Longbow for sure. 

But as long as you don't follow them in?  And as long as you don't attack them while they're standing next to their buddies?  Nothing aggros.

It makes me a bit sad.  The AI is clearly trying to chain aggro, but must be forbidden to, at a code level.

I suppose it's for the best.  Not everyone has an Immob or a Slow, and some things like Slag Golems and War Wolves just can't BE Slowed or Immob'd.  I'm sure it would destroy many characters if aggro did chain like I keep expecting it to from the EverQuest days.

Some said it was meant to and it was removed? IDK. 

Nearly everyone has access to an Immob, slow or taunt though. 

And of course the chain aggro would be fun.  We are far more powerful in COH than characters were in EQ.

This game has it's hard mobs and it's difficult mobs. Freaks, Council, Skyraiders, Family = Easy. Then you have the tougher mobs, Malta (only because of Sappers) Carnie, Aracnos, and well...that's about it. I do prefer some mobs be a challenge and others be easy. The easy ones are a nice break from the more difficult ones, I think this game needs a healthy helping of both types. In fact, I wish the hard ones were harder than they are now. Make them downright frustrating.

Lets get rid of one of the few mobs that give a tiny bit of challenge to a small subset of powerset combos? I'd vote a hard no.  I'd suggest the opposite. If anything we need more mobs like sappers in other enemy groups.  Anyway, sappers are laughably easy to deal with by the vast majority of powerset combos.

Get enough ranged or energy defense and sappers miss 95% of the time like most mobs.  Run one of the myriad of armor powersets that have endurance drain resistance and you also laugh at them.  Something like a stalker can sneak up to them and take them down in one hit before they can even move.   If your melee powerset has any sort of hold, stun, or knockdown they also shouldn't be a problem.  Most blasters or even corrupters and defenders can snipe them down from range or at least debuff them.  Controllers and doms laugh at them as the sappers are instantly confused/held/stunned.  As others have pointed out they were already nerfed to be limited to one per group from people complaining about them in the past.   Sappers are seriously overrated.  Really the toughest thing about them is just spotting them, so I could maybe see making their costuming more unique.    Of course you can also just use an enemy targeting bind for them.

Honestly they should be made boss class since they are limited to 1 per group.  That'd make them more interesting again imho.

Edited by Riverdusk