Please limit DFB/DiB runs.

This probably won't be the most popular of suggestions... But I'd really like to see the Death From Below and Drowning In Blood trials limited so that a player can only run them once or twice a day.

I like fast xp and high inf rewards as much as anyone, but at a certain point it gets really, really old running the same thing over and over, especially for altaholics like me. I'd like to be able to get groups for other things before level 22, and at present the LFG channel is just a flood of people looking for players for DFB and DiB, with very occasionally something else mixed in, but all the other things tend to be at least level 20+

Arguably worse, we get new players to the game hitting DFB until their mid-20s, and having no idea how to actually play the game when they start looking for something else to do. I see so many people in the 20-30 range that haven't figured out how to manage their knockback, and today I had a group where our Brute, who was level 20 something, did not have his taunt aura or Taunt (The latter of which is excusable on a Brute, but the former of which is not, even if you don't intend to tank, because it's generally one of your best defensive powers), and after we'd been struggling with a Freakshow mission with several wipes, about halfway through it, he asks the group "How do you get enhancements?".

Please, for the love of Positron, stop the madness!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

All I can say is that on Everlasting at least, if you want to do anything *other* than DFB/DiB before 22, you're out of luck, generally.

DiB may not be the same sort of xp-fest, I'm just sick of seeing nothing but those in LFG, and not being able to get a group. It took an hour for me to get a group yesterday, ridiculous for a Defender on a Saturday.

And then today my groups were full of "DFB Babies" who didn't know how to play.

How dare people have the ability to do what they want on a fan run mmorpg server.

Some good points are raised as to the drawbacks of DFB runs being the standard for everyone under their 20s. This is not thoughtless whining, there's a concern for how people are introduced to the game and the game culture it builds. CoH is not about running trials that are so easy you don't even need enhancements to complete them and you don't get to explore your new powers one by one as you get them.

The funniest thing about your specific sarcastic wording is that the original post is about ways in which the poster finds themself impeded in doing what they want to do. Nobody's messing around in the Hollows or Perez Park or doing other, classic low-level things. They're just blasting through the levels in the sewers. This is similar to how people wanted some way to remove the XP bonus that used to be globally active, because it made them outlevel things faster than they wanted to.

All I can say is that on Everlasting at least, if you want to do anything *other* than DFB/DiB before 22, you're out of luck, generally.

I play on Everlasting and I regularly see Posi 1 & 2 being run as well as Kings Row radio teams. The only reason there aren't that many teams below level 22 because there aren't that many characters below level 22. With the double XP booster getting to level 22 is pretty quick (I normally do one run of DFB and then run both Posi TFs which puts me at level 20-22 easily).

Defender Smash!

CoH is not about running trials that are so easy you don't even need enhancements to complete them and you don't get to explore your new powers one by one as you get them.

Well actually not you or me or anyone else get to say what CoH is about - that is actually determined by the players and what is available - there is always a tendency towards people wanting to be the judges of what is or is not good taste and frankly, there is too much of that

I just wish all the DFB/DiB LFG spammers would stand someplace else other than all clustered around Ms. Liberty. I've found myself running all the way to Back Alley Brawler to train levels a few times just to avoid having to fight my way through that crowd.

I feel like new players are more likely to go and do the thing the game tells them to do, talking to contacts and stuff rather than immediately diving into a trial that's not signposted, y'know? And if someone doesn't know how to get enhancements at level 20, that's 100% on them since they evidently skipped the tutorial. Or clicked through it at mach speed because who reads quest text in an MMO, amirite?

Honestly I feel like the answer would be 'Have trials at that level aside from DFB'.

Also off-topic but it's a fucking crying shame that people only seem to run it Heroside, when the writing Villainside is so much more entertaining. Arbiter's gotta get his coffee.

Arguably worse, we get new players to the game hitting DFB until their mid-20s, and having no idea how to actually play the game when they start looking for something else to do. I see so many people in the 20-30 range that haven't figured out how to manage their knockback, and today I had a group where our Brute, who was level 20 something, did not have his taunt aura or Taunt (The latter of which is excusable on a Brute, but the former of which is not, even if you don't intend to tank, because it's generally one of your best defensive powers), and after we'd been struggling with a Freakshow mission with several wipes, about halfway through it, he asks the group "How do you get enhancements?".

To be fair, this sort of thing is gonna happen no matter what does or doesn't happen with DFB.  The game doesn't really teach you mechanics like those or tell you what powers are "must have".

Maybe have it tied to the lvl 50 badge. Can do 1 dfb per day, unless you have a lvl 50 on your account.  But I don't think there are account flags like that :(

I agree that newbs should not be doing farms, but at the same time,  I don't want to get stuck in the lower levels when I have a new character concept I want to try out.

Maybe have it tied to the lvl 50 badge. Can do 1 dfb per day, unless you have a lvl 50 on your account.  But I don't think there are account flags like that :(

I agree that newbs should not be doing farms, but at the same time,  I don't want to get stuck in the lower levels when I have a new character concept I want to try out.

I'd be fine with that change. And I'm saying that as someone who doesn't have a 50 yet due to altitis.

How dare people have the ability to do what they want on a fan run mmorpg server.

Philosophy time!

Do people run it because they want to? Or because its the only team content you can reliably run between 1-30 now XD

Torchbearite here.

While I see tons of DFB runs, I also see many Posi 1/2 runs as well. Maybe not as prolific as DFB, but DFB is super accessible right when you get in. I also have no issue teaming on any of the toons ive made, even the ones that cant solo.

I just dont see the reasoning to restrict players, as one previous poster said. Options, not limits.

you know that you don't have to run dfb if you don't want to right

Try playing through the low levels on a type of toon that *can't* solo, see if you can manage to get any teams without giving up and doing DFB.

all characters can solo

• Like 2

As much as I despise Power Leveling of any kind, I can't say I agree with this. It may seem like nobody is doing anything but Power Leveling, and that may be the case on your server. However, if you come to Excelsior, you'll see it's about half and half here. There are so many people looking for teams of all types here. Do I wish the Power Levelers had their own channel? Sure I do. So perhaps they should go make a channel just for them. Assuming that still exists? Have not tested it yet. So yeah, let them have their own channel and have them stay out of Looking for Group, that may solve their issue. But forcing people to stop Power Leveling isn't the answer here. They will always find another way. It will jsut end up going back to Fire/Kins, o9r back to Fire Tank, or back to Spines Scrappers, it'll always be something...and the practice of nerfing missions, or aggro limits, or AE missions, or nerf the xp gain of destroyed objects, or constant spawn NPCs...the list goes on and on with how they have tried stopping power levelers, while it only hurt the regular players, IMO is not the answer. You just force the PLers to find another means to power level, and then cause that to get nerfed as well.

I'd be fine with that change. And I'm saying that as someone who doesn't have a 50 yet due to altitis.

If you want a limit, limit yourself.  Don't worry about what others are doing.

• Like 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!