Please limit DFB/DiB runs.

I just wish all the DFB/DiB LFG spammers would stand someplace else other than all clustered around Ms. Liberty. I've found myself running all the way to Back Alley Brawler to train levels a few times just to avoid having to fight my way through that crowd.

i feel you. After lvl 3 I just ignore levelling until contacts send me to KR and I can level up there (and oh the sweet sweet silence of the AE in KR, no goddam spines and hot feet driving me up the wall)

MCM

I just wish all the DFB/DiB LFG spammers would stand someplace else other than all clustered around Ms. Liberty. I've found myself running all the way to Back Alley Brawler to train levels a few times just to avoid having to fight my way through that crowd.

i feel you. After lvl 3 I just ignore levelling until contacts send me to KR and I can level up there (and oh the sweet sweet silence of the AE in KR, no goddam spines and hot feet driving me up the wall)

MCM

imagine being this afraid of other people existing

• Like 1

MCM

imagine being this afraid of other people existing

Eh, I work in an environment where there are often too many people in too small a space, and the noise and chaos really gets to me after a while (I suspect undiagnosed social-anxiety or Asperger's, which just seems to get worse as I get older), and so I play almost entirely solo in MMO's because I get at least the illusion of wide-open space and peace & quiet and solitude, and only having to deal with crowds and noise on my own terms.

I think it'd be great if there was a culture shift in the whole thing, if people would just queue for for DFB and set their LFG tags rather than spamming LFG with these messages. Those would work, if only people would use them. Then the LFG channel wouldn't be so spammy.

It seems that higher level toons are the ones adverting the higher level content... because, y'know, that's where they are.

So if you want to see more higher level content adverted, maybe let people power level the way they want.

On the flip side, it would behoove veteran players to be patient with new folks who may have done the same.  Bringing up the next generation of savvy players is beneficial to everyone in the long run.

There is no need to nerf DFB. 

There is need for patience and guidance.

• Like 1

Maybe have it tied to the lvl 50 badge. Can do 1 dfb per day, unless you have a lvl 50 on your account.  But I don't think there are account flags like that :(

I agree that newbs should not be doing farms, but at the same time,  I don't want to get stuck in the lower levels when I have a new character concept I want to try out.

I'd be fine with that change. And I'm saying that as someone who doesn't have a 50 yet due to altitis.

If you want a limit, limit yourself.  Don't worry about what others are doing.

My suggestion had nothing to do with limiting myself. It was about limiting other people so they have to do something else instead of just mindlessly repeating DFB until they're level 30. The point of that isn't even the limit on them, it's to make it possible to get on teams doing other things. Which I currently can't find on my server except after level 20 at the lowest.

Once in a huge while someone advertises for a Posi TF, but that's it.

I could probably get a team together if I lead it, but social anxiety, really rather not.

I want the old days when I could expect to find KR Radio teams, Frostfire arc teams, etc advertising in LFG basically every day. But there's nothing but DFB now.

I could probably get a team together if I lead it, but social anxiety, really rather not.

I want the old days when I could expect to find KR Radio teams, Frostfire arc teams, etc advertising in LFG basically every day. But there's nothing but DFB now.

To an extent, I understand.  But I think 1) you're painting yourself into a corner here and 2) even if you got what you're asking for, it won't have the result you want.  To explain:

1. You're rejecting the tools already available to you; advertising for a team, making connections on Discord, or starting or joining an SG.  I understand those tools might not be as accessible to you as to someone else.  The ideal solution though is to find a tool that fits your unique circumstances (and if it's a tool that expands your comfort zone, that's not a bad thing), rather than changing the game for everyone.

2. DFB/DiB replaced AE farms, which replaced sewer runs, all in the space of a few weeks.  All of these are popular because they're at a high intersection of efficient xp and low investment.  The low investment part is important; starting in the mid to high teens, DFB is actually less efficient for XP than other methods -- but repeating it doesn't require learning anything.  Limiting DFB runs is much more likely to push people into some other repeatable low-investment farm, rather than change the teaming environment.  The best way to change that environment is to get community members playing the game for its content rather than for their character build, and bringing more and more players along for this.  That's going to take community leaders and influencers, and won't happen overnight... but it will happen.

I agree that seeing wave after wave of DFB advertisement is disheartening and ultimately bad for longevity.  But the problem is deeper than DFB, and a solution that fixes only the surface issue might preclude better, longer-term community responses.

• Like 1

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

Whilst I agree with this to an extent, it is entirely possible to run mission teams for people that don't want to endlessly grind DFB ad nausuem.  Perhaps it's  better to take the bull by the horns and sort the problem yourself than to complain until the problem is changed to fit around you?

Yesterday I ran a full 8 man team from about 2pm until 8pm and levelled a Sent from 12 to 21.  Did some radios, Midnight Club arc and the start of an arc from one of the contacts inside MC (forget her name).  This was purely pickups, not an organised group of friends.  There was a good supply of people happy to join (even people who were above the level of the team - thank the superb exemplar system for that!), people came and went and I had a fair few global friend requests as a result.

For me, that is the heart of not only MMOs in general, but what makes CoH so great.

Few people want the responsibility of having "The Star", but when you take that initiative, you reap the rewards.

(In case any of you reading this were on the team on Torchbearer run by Ranger-07.. I salute you all.. you were awesome.)

This would be completely unnecessary. So far it hasn't taken me over 10 minutes to form a 4+ man team at any level on Torchbearer, so I suspect the issue is either playing on a low population server/shard, or more likely, not taking the initiative to start a non-DFB team yourself. It's not uncommon to see several people looking for a team in the LFG channel for a long time because everyone just wants to tag along. This is the kind of behavior I have a lot of trouble understanding because even though I'm far from the most social player out there, I prefer starting my own teams because I only see upsides to it:

• I get to choose my own missions = I get merits in addition to XP
  • I get to set the difficulty = don't have to worry about incompetent leaders making things far too easy or hard
  • I can get rid of obnoxious / AFK players

Even though you have the star, there'snothing else you absolutely have to do besides choosing a mission every 15 mins or so, quite literally, you have almost no responsibilities. Starting the team usually takes 1 or 2 messages in the LFG channel in the form of "Lvl X team in zone Y doing Z LFM", so that isn't a big effort either.

• Like 1

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

This probably won't be the most popular of suggestions... But I'd really like to see the Death From Below and Drowning In Blood trials limited so that a player can only run them once or twice a day.

I like fast xp and high inf rewards as much as anyone, but at a certain point it gets really, really old running the same thing over and over, especially for altaholics like me. I'd like to be able to get groups for other things before level 22, and at present the LFG channel is just a flood of people looking for players for DFB and DiB, with very occasionally something else mixed in, but all the other things tend to be at least level 20+

This really won't solve any of your problems. As mentioned, people having access to 2xXP and hitting 20 can happen quickly. That's going to be a big reason you won't find many people to team with below that level. Second, for people already familiar with the game, rehashing the first 20 levels is tedious, there's going to be too many people justifiably eager to have a quick route to 20 in a format that's easy to set up and doesn't require visiting 4-5 zones before they get there.

Arguably worse, we get new players to the game hitting DFB until their mid-20s, and having no idea how to actually play the game when they start looking for something else to do. I see so many people in the 20-30 range that haven't figured out how to manage their knockback, and today I had a group where our Brute, who was level 20 something, did not have his taunt aura or Taunt (The latter of which is excusable on a Brute, but the former of which is not, even if you don't intend to tank, because it's generally one of your best defensive powers), and after we'd been struggling with a Freakshow mission with several wipes, about halfway through it, he asks the group "How do you get enhancements?".

Please, for the love of Positron, stop the madness!

Again, your suggestion won't fix this either. There's a whole tutorials your anecdotal newbie decided wasn't necessary. Some people will never care to learn the game the way you think they should. It's frustrating, but you can't make it completely avoidable. Better to ignore what you don't like and can't change than let it ruin your day.

Have you tried forming a channel or super group to help find people willing to play more to your preferences? Maybe start a thread in your server's subforum? When you find someone from a PUG that you like playing with asking if they want to team more often? It makes more sense finding and utilizing the people who think and play like you than trying to force everyone into doing that.

• Like 1

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

My suggestion

was about limiting other people so they

get on teams

Which I currently can't find

imagine unironically asking the devs to force random people to team with you

instead of like

making friends

edit: if your social anxiety is so crippling that you cannot bear to interact with people unless an authority forces them to interact with you, you need to let your psychiatrist know this

imagine unironically asking the devs to force random people to team with you

instead of like

making friends

edit: if your social anxiety is so crippling that you cannot bear to interact with people unless an authority forces them to interact with you, you need to let your psychiatrist know this

Imagine, responding non-sarcastically to someone's suggestion, and slightly empathizing with them, instead of making unnecessary comments about their mental health.

I agree that the dev's shouldn't limit DFB, but most people here took the time to at least provide a measured response...

• Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Imagine, responding non-sarcastically to someone's suggestion, and slightly empathizing with them, instead of making unnecessary comments about their mental health.

I agree that the dev's shouldn't limit DFB, but most people here took the time to at least provide a measured response...

if you read the thread you'd see i've already made my measured response

the rest is just making fun of people who think that forcing everyone to play in a certain way is unironically a good idea

if you read the thread you'd see i've already made my measured response

the rest is just making fun of people who think that forcing everyone to play in a certain way is unironically a good idea

I read the entire thread and saw many people's measured responses...I'd love to see yours...

Yours however were the only ones making fun of people's mental health...I know several people with such severe anxiety they can't leave their homes...It's a real issue...

Again, I don't agree with the suggestion the OP made, just think we can be dignified in our responses...

• Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I have literally had someone ask me to explain from scratch all about enhancements to them; they were a new level 50 who got from 1-32 o DFB and then was dragged into some kind of farming missions that PLd them to 50.

Thinking this is normal is probably part of the concept that "you must power to max level to begin playing the game" which of course is completely false here. We need to make sure people are informed about their options and if they want to run DFB over and over it's as an informed choice.  I personally can't fathom doing content that limits me to about level 5 over and over until I'm 50 but some people are doing that.

The other thing is, if the trial produces new players with abnormally poor play skill, then it IS hurting the playerbase in general. Like AE farming it could be an option ... but a subtly discouraged one. Like 1/2 xp after level 10.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

I have literally had someone ask me to explain from scratch all about enhancements to them; they were a new level 50 who got from 1-32 o DFB and then was dragged into some kind of farming missions that PLd them to 50.

Thinking this is normal is probably part of the concept that "you must power to max level to begin playing the game" which of course is completely false here. We need to make sure people are informed about their options and if they want to run DFB over and over it's as an informed choice.  I personally can't fathom doing content that limits me to about level 5 over and over until I'm 50 but some people are doing that.

The other thing is, if the trial produces new players with abnormally poor play skill, then it IS hurting the playerbase in general. Like AE farming it could be an option ... but a subtly discouraged one. Like 1/2 xp after level 10.

bpiuZI4.gif

I'm out.

Maybe have it tied to the lvl 50 badge. Can do 1 dfb per day, unless you have a lvl 50 on your account.  But I don't think there are account flags like that :(

I agree that newbs should not be doing farms, but at the same time,  I don't want to get stuck in the lower levels when I have a new character concept I want to try out.

I'd be fine with that change. And I'm saying that as someone who doesn't have a 50 yet due to altitis.

If you want a limit, limit yourself.  Don't worry about what others are doing.

My suggestion had nothing to do with limiting myself. It was about limiting other people so they have to do something else instead of just mindlessly repeating DFB until they're level 30. The point of that isn't even the limit on them, it's to make it possible to get on teams doing other things. Which I currently can't find on my server except after level 20 at the lowest.

Once in a huge while someone advertises for a Posi TF, but that's it.

Why should you have the right to dictate how others play? If you don’t want to run DFB, then don’t. It’s beyond ridiculous to think that everyone else should cater to how you think they should play. They are playing for them not you. You can limit yourself if you so chose, but you don’t get the right to force a limitation on others. It’s not all about you.

I see advertisements for Kings Row radio missions every night. I see advertisements for task forces every night. I see advertisements for other content than DFB every few seconds during prime time. And every few minutes when it’s really late. There is plenty of opportunity for grouping up outside of DFB.

I don't DFB or DiB, but I don't want to see them limited at all.

There will always be players that got PL'd to their level, or are playing their cousin's account, that have no clue about the overall mechanics of the game or slotting or any of that. Always, no matter what you attempt to limit or discourage. So please do not use them as scapegoat for restricting playstyles. Either teach them what they need to know, or leave it for someone else.

• Like 1

The other thing is, if the trial produces new players with abnormally poor play skill, then it IS hurting the playerbase in general.

what's the difference between asking how enhancement works at level 50 as opposed to level 20

people do not start off with this information, someone will have to explain it to them, better later than not at all

• Like 2

People who want to powerlevel will do so in the most efficient way possible. If it's not DFB runs, it will be something else. If DFB is nerfed, then people will just move to farming radio missions, or AE content, or whatever else has the greatest reward per time/effort invested.

• Like 1

I think it'd be great if there was a culture shift in the whole thing, if people would just queue for for DFB and set their LFG tags rather than spamming LFG with these messages. Those would work, if only people would use them. Then the LFG channel wouldn't be so spammy.

The issue there is that DfB has a minimum of 4 players, and the queue starts the trial as soon as it hits that minimum. Pre-forming guarantees a full team (and some control over what kind of a team you're forming, not that team composition is a huge deal in DfB). You can always choose to join in-progress events, I guess, but that's just another level of "but if I do it this way, I get exactly what I want/expect" you're asking people to ignore.

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

People who want to powerlevel will do so in the most efficient way possible. If it's not DFB runs, it will be something else. If DFB is nerfed, then people will just move to farming radio missions, or AE content, or whatever else has the greatest reward per time/effort invested.

the solution is simple, we should just disable XP for everything except escort missions

• Haha 2

I don't DFB or DiB, but I don't want to see them limited at all.

There will always be players that got PL'd to their level, or are playing their cousin's account, that have no clue about the overall mechanics of the game or slotting or any of that. Always, no matter what you attempt to limit or discourage. So please do not use them as scapegoat for restricting playstyles. Either teach them what they need to know, or leave it for someone else.

Exactly. There are several things I forgot or didn’t get to experience as I left before shutdown due to not having internet for a few years. I still no the basics of combat and enhancements, though had to ask a few reshreaher questions on IOs and optimal slotting of accuracy. It’s always nice when people take a moment to answer a question. Neither question was a make or break in gameplay, but helpful knowledge. Others ask more basic questions, which honestly isn’t much of an issue. Only takes a couple minutes to enlighten players.

I fully agree that people not knowing how to do things is a scapegoat. Some people just don’t like that others have fun in a different way than they do and thus don’t believe they deserve to have fun. As is obvious by the type of request in the OP.

• Like 2