Flight Pose Flawed Design

Solarverse

It was about issue 3 or 4 when I noticed something strange. I was flying through the air when another player happened to be flying toward me and something just looked strange about it. From my perspective it looked like he was almost vertical yet flying straight ahead. I thought it was a bug until one day I took a look at my own character in flight from a side angle...then it became pretty easy to see, that the pose for flight is all wrong. My character flies through the air looking the same as theirs did.

So I drew a diagram (of sorts) that shows which direction I am flying, which direction I am angled, and then where my body should be positioned and how my head should be tilted to compensate for the body positioning change.

2078589981_BadFlight.jpg.95ff92d26d38ee4e1420d308f09b9b89.jpg

He should look more like this...

a2.png.f0a93886bc9920abf624cb375d48ff58.png

a3.jpg.f6a086e01ff0f235f123407a5d9a024d.jpg

a4.jpg.53bf63c6e8f44b90eb02de217a6c0bcb.jpg

a1.png.0a6351969e2e958b88155c3afad48b94.png

I'm just curious, how difficult would it be and how time consuming would it be for one of the Devs to correct this? I think depending on how much time it would take, would be whether or not it would be worth it to correct.

Thoughts?

Edited by Solarverse

I think this is going to be something that's entirely subjective... there's nothing particularly "wrong" about the animation, but it looks like the animator decided that the source of propulsion for flight comes somewhere from the character's center of mass, allowing them to angle their body in flight and move forward. It definitely works with how the wing animations look. If the propulsion is more parallel with the body, like from a jet pack or the feet, then yeah it makes less sense. Flying prone would work better in those situations and be more aerodynamic.

Options for different animations would be cool, so you could choose which one you think looks best for your character/flight method.

• Like 3

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

1 hour ago, Vulpoid said:

Oh cool! I had no idea this was a thing. Doesn't change the angle thing @Solarversewas talking about, but it's nice to know there's some customization.

• Like 1

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

2 hours ago, Solarverse said:

2078589981_BadFlight.jpg.95ff92d26d38ee4e1420d308f09b9b89.jpg

Looks like the bean-powered propulsion system is functioning properly.  Angled slightly up so the thrust counters gravity, gaseous exhaust present, it's fine.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

19 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Looks like the bean-powered propulsion system is functioning properly.  Angled slightly up so the thrust counters gravity, gaseous exhaust present, it's fine.  😁

Are you trying to drag @Bill Z Bubba and his known Tank farts in to this?  😄

9 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Are you trying to drag @Bill Z Bubba and his known Tank farts in to this?  😄

Of course not.  If that were my intention, I'd say something like...

Some say... that he was forced to cancel the private ceremony where he was going to marry himself, because he was caught cheating on himself and broke up with himself.  And... that he keeps a tin of kippers in his left horn, for "emergency purposes".  All we know is, he's called The Stank!

You're the one with a lit match and a "home ion drive kit" tag hanging from your costume.  😄

• Haha 1

(fly poses)

/bind w "+forward"  (go back to this if you change your mind and don't want any of the poses)

/bind w "+forward$$em flypose1"  (1 to 4)

/bind w "+forward$$em flypose1$$e flypose2$$e flypose3$$e flypose4"   (cycles through all if them)

flypose1 - Superman style. Arms Forward
flypose2 - Alternate Superman style. Right arm forward. Left Arm curled back. . Right leg bent.
flypose3 - back straight. Arms angle forward and slightly up.
flypose4 - Bach arched up. Arms curled to the side.)

You have to hit the fly power twice...the first is the standard, the second becomes the pose you have chosen)

• Thanks 1
y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

2 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

I wish they could put the flight poses in as a flight customization option.

Exactly. I have enough macros and binds, I honestly don't want to fill my keyboard up with more binds or my trays with more macros. It gets to be too much to I pick and chose what I *need* rather than what I don't need. However, putting them in as options to pick from in the character customization window would be great. Pick your style and never need a macro unless you wish to divert from that chosen style.

Also, whatever happened to the *lean in to your turn* animations? Remember those?

None of my macros are in power trays...I created a Custom Window to hold them all...and there are a LOT!!!!

cw.png.51d6ec89b254799460a7ba7cf9bdfbf3.png1844029138_customwindowplacement.thumb.png.d32921c759bd11ea3b5abad92338b39c.png

Each time you log in to the client, the custom window will be in the upper left of the screen (sometimes you must look behind whatever window is there) and you can move it to wherever you want. It will stay there until you log off. You can open it and then scroll, and you can place the macros in whatever order you wish. Mine are placed from most used to least.

• Thanks 1
y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

On 11/2/2020 at 11:04 AM, Solarverse said:

I'm just curious, how difficult would it be and how time consuming would it be for one of the Devs to correct this? I think depending on how much time it would take, would be whether or not it would be worth it to correct.

Thoughts?

My thought is *HELL NO*.  Do not touch that flight pose.  If YOU don't like that particular pose, don't use it.  There are others that look like the pictures you posted.  This one deliberately has the hero's body at a different angle.  Variety is good.

Of course, adding a new flight pose that fits your description would be great.  But removing a cosmetic effect that doesn't break anything would be nothing less than stupid.

Edited by Ironblade

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

2 hours ago, Ironblade said:

My thought is *HELL NO*.  Do not touch that flight pose.  If YOU don't like that particular pose, don't use it.  There are others that look like the pictures you posted.  This one deliberately has the hero's body at a different angle.  Variety is good.

Of course, adding a new flight pose that fits your description would be great.  But removing a cosmetic effect that doesn't break anything would be nothing less than stupid.

I didn't think anyone would see it the way you do. I see it and felt there was a mistake made that should be fixed. So that's good to know.

You people have four poses, and I've been doing the YMCA for years on my Hurdlers.

BUFF JUMP ANIMATIONS!

Wait, they'll probably animate the M, C and A and cycle through them automatically, just to irritate me...

LEAVE JUMP ANIMATIONS ALONE!  BUFF FLY ANIMATIONS (turn them into flies!)

Ooo... that would be interesting.  Instead of a flying character, the character model could be replaced by different things when Fly was toggled on, like Devouring Earth Swarms, or Lightning Storm, or those balls of light in Croatoa that I can't put a name to at the moment... and Superspeed could be particle effects, like the projectile from Fire Blast or Ice Blast...

Oh, the things I could do if I weren't running everything on half dead 12v deep cycle batteries.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Ooo... that would be interesting.  Instead of a flying character, the character model could be replaced by different things when Fly was toggled on, like Devouring Earth Swarms, or Lightning Storm, or those balls of light in Croatoa that I can't put a name to at the moment... and Superspeed could be particle effects, like the projectile from Fire Blast or Ice Blast...

BATS!  We need to be able to turn into a cloud of bats for Flight for all the vampire characters.

• Like 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

1 minute ago, Ironblade said:

BATS!  We need to be able to turn into a cloud of bats for Flight for all the vampire characters.

Love that idea! Or even a cloud of Dark Smoke.

Edited by Solarverse

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

You people have four poses, and I've been doing the YMCA for years on my Hurdlers.

BUFF JUMP ANIMATIONS!

Wait, they'll probably animate the M, C and A and cycle through them automatically, just to irritate me...

LEAVE JUMP ANIMATIONS ALONE!  BUFF FLY ANIMATIONS (turn them into flies!)

Oh, the things I could do if I weren't running everything on half dead 12v deep cycle batteries.

I mean the tech is already there...You'd just do the model swap trick and combine it with the various flight forms that don't allow combat. HOWEVER it would have to be a separate power like the P2W vendor ones purely because fly, as a power, already has all the animations in it for variants to powers off the ground whilst I have no idea how you'd 'Rib Cracker' someone whilst as a swarm of bats unless it had its own generic melee attack and ranged attack animation that played for each and...

...ok we're getting well past the stuff you're able to do on those half dead batteries.