Staff Fighting

Ghost

Planning to go all Darth Maul on someone? 🙂

(More costume options / weapon look options are always welcome, though.)

• Like 5

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Ha! I know just the guy. This guy is awesome with sound mods... oh Hi @Solarverse, we were just talking about you... 😃

Kidding aside, I too wouldn't mind an energy-esque staff. Not so much Darth Maul, actually even just a better version of the Tech Staff that looks like it has a lit blade similar to the Event Horizon or Vanguard Blade. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

Just the other day I was looking for a way to make a character with a magically-charged staff.  Absolutely +1 to this.

Yea.  I mean, there ARE the various "Carnival of War" staff looks, but .... honestly, they don't do it for me. 

If I'm using a staff in melee combat, it shouldn't be a staff with this horribly unbalanced lump of ornate metal on one side that looks like it's a refugee from a WoW drop table. 

That type of staff is fine for spellcasting. Not so much for using like a quarterstaff / bo

The plain wooden staff, or the metal staff, or the wooden staff that has some iron-shod ends, but with a glow, would be far better IMHO.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Sakura Tenshi said:

I'd love it if we could get a proper, normal freaking spear.

To be used and thrusted like a spear?  or still to be twirled about like a Naginata?

I would like a Javelin / Short Spear set, so you could do 1-hand-stabby-spear and shield.

But cooking up new sets is definitely a taller order than adding an weapon look to an existing set.

5 minutes ago, Epoch Paradox said:

Pretty sure innocuous strikes is a perfect example... better have some special energy gloves owwwwww

On the other hand, when you do some Knockdown with Eye of the Storm, and immediately follow it up with Innocuous Strikes you can be um.... well.... jabbing your fallen opponent right in the tenders with that staff.  Which looks .... pretty painful... if you have the Bladed Spear, and a Staff-Saber would be just as "oh god no!  that's too cruel!"

12 minutes ago, MTeague said:

To be used and thrusted like a spear?  or still to be twirled about like a Naginata?

I would like a Javelin / Short Spear set, so you could do 1-hand-stabby-spear and shield.

But cooking up new sets is definitely a taller order than adding an weapon look to an existing set.

as I've learned it, while you primarily do want to thrust with a spear, when you're not in some kind of bigger formation, twirling and using both ends is an acceptable tactic. At least in East Asian Martial Arts.

That said, in my ideal world we'd have

1. Staff fighting (what we have now)
  2. Spear Fighting (a lot more thrusts, might steal a few things from FFXIV's Dragoon alongside For Honor's Nobushi (who, while she does do big swings and uses a naginata, she's got weapon customizations that are just normal spears and her light attacks are all thrusts and jabs) and Valkyrie. Also can be wielded paired with shield defense)
  3. Glaive Fighting (Sort of a titan-weapons-lite-like polearm set. lots of AoEs and arcs meant for glaives, guan dao, naginata, pole axes, and even scythes if you wanna be edgy or make Ruby Rose)

But I'm also a guy who'd want to tweak katana's animations and mechanics a bit, turn into into a proper longsword set with a lot of european style customizations and make a new katana with more animations taken strictly out of kenjutsu forms. And make dedicate 'shotgun, sniper rifle, and automatic rifle' to leave the franken gun to rot like the foul, offensive abomination it is.

• Like 1

@Solarverse I was just thinking about a "magic" staff. What if the staff SFX was the voice of Futurama's Bender dishing out quips with every power. Kinda like how Warcraft characters say a different snarky think every time you click on them (the more you click the more snarky)... sorry. I just got up and my brain is still doing the thaw. 😃

• Haha 1

Just now, Six Six said:

@Solarverse I was just thinking about a "magic" staff. What if the staff SFX was the voice of Futurama's Bender dishing out quips with every power. Kinda like how Warcraft characters say a different snarky think every time you click on them (the more you click the more snarky)... sorry. I just got up and my brain is still doing the thaw. 😃

Funny as hell to think about, but I don't think I'll be doing that, lol.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

I would love for some more staff options.

I mean, we have a good choice selection as is but GIVE MORE PLES.

Hahahahaha! Just noticed your Sig...too f***ing funny, man! I love it!  😆

5 hours ago, MTeague said:

On the other hand, when you do some Knockdown with Eye of the Storm, and immediately follow it up with Innocuous Strikes you can be um.... well.... jabbing your fallen opponent right in the tenders with that staff.  Which looks .... pretty painful... if you have the Bladed Spear, and a Staff-Saber would be just as "oh god no!  that's too cruel!"

In Paragon City, sir, we call that an arrest. Nothing unusual here, just move along, citizen 😛😄

• Haha 1

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds