Vanguard merits

• 3 months later

Also, if you're just short a couple of incarnate shards, you can buy G'rai Matter incarnate component for 150 V-merits.  It's needed for some powers or can be converted to 1 incarnate shard.

I've already got the Vanguard Heavy, the increased storage, and a couple thousands V-merits left over.  But I was two shards short for a component to get one of my slots to tier 4.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

4 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Also, if you're just short a couple of incarnate shards, you can buy G'rai Matter incarnate component for 150 V-merits.  It's needed for some powers or can be converted to 1 incarnate shard.

I've already got the Vanguard Heavy, the increased storage, and a couple thousands V-merits left over.  But I was two shards short for a component to get one of my slots to tier 4.

I'm always surprised to see that people use shard components.  I've always used thread stuff....have found it so much easier!

That said, I'm embarassed to say that I wasn't even aware of the Vanguard Heavy.  Hmmm...might have to do more MSR....if I can ever figure out why I only get 10 vanguard merits per run...

On 5/27/2019 at 4:32 PM, Generator said:

That's what I was seeing earlier today, 10:1.

I thought I read here that was changed to 30:1?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

33 minutes ago, Greeno34 said:

I'm always surprised to see that people use shard components.  I've always used thread stuff....have found it so much easier!

That said, I'm embarassed to say that I wasn't even aware of the Vanguard Heavy.  Hmmm...might have to do more MSR....if I can ever figure out why I only get 10 vanguard merits per run...

You will only get 10 Vanguard Merits each run unless you get the MEMBER OF VANGUARD badge. Talk to Levantera in Rikti War zone to do the story arc. It's mostly just running around talking to people IIRC. If you're doing MSR without the member of vanguard badge, you are just keyboard mashing for nothing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Trademarked Name (@Trademark)

Hocus-Pocus, Assault, Joan (of Atlas), Homunculous, Ensorcellress, Seismic, Wolfin, J0LT, The Limit, Transparency, Fastball, Loremaster, Monkey-Boy, Presto Chango, Kazam

53 minutes ago, Greeno34 said:

8 shards and a Notice of the Well is a pretty easy price to pay for your t3 alphas. For everything else, yeah, thread components are the better option. Especially t4 Alphas; 48 shards and two Notices is a big "no thank you" from me.

Edited by Vanden
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greeno34 said:

I agree the threads are easier but I used up almost all of my threads getting all three level shifts ASAP.  I wanted to get my Alpha slot to T4 for the recharge boost and I was only 2 shards short.

And Rocketeur explained why you're not getting Vanguard merits.  Until you do the arc and get that badge, I think the odds of a Rikti dropping a merit is similar to the odds of dropping an enhancement, i.e. very low.  After you get the badge, it's much higher odds and it's 2 for a lieutenant and 3 for a boss.  During a mothership raid, every Rikti is guaranteed to drop 1 or more Vanguard merits (based on their rank).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I do three things on all toons almost immediately after creation and hitting minimum level requirements.  It’s literally a checklist for every toon I build.

-Get someone to drop a Ouro near Ms. Liberty in Atlas.  Go to Ouro and get my own Ouro portal.

-Go use the Tunnel in Atlas to visit Night Ward, enter mansion, get badge for access to Midnight Club

-Go to RWZ and run Levantera’s mission and get the Vanguard Badge

With those three things, I can go anywhere and do anything and have ready access to travel abilities between missions/zones that otherwise would slow down play and/or negate the value of doing certain activities like the MSR runs.

11 hours ago, Crysis said:

-Go use the Tunnel in Atlas to visit Night Ward, enter mansion, get badge for access to Midnight Club

While I don't know for sure if you can do this at level 1, I've done it with a level 2 char.  There's nothing dangerous between the Tunnel drop and the mansion door, and no level gating on the badge.

On 9/9/2019 at 1:51 PM, Vanden said:

8 shards and a Notice of the Well is a pretty easy price to pay for your t3 alphas. For everything else, yeah, thread components are the better option. Especially t4 Alphas; 48 shards and two Notices is a big "no thank you" from me.

It really depends a lot on the content you're doing.  If you focus a lot on iTrials and/or DA, Shards don't drop there, so you're likely to have a considerably smaller number of them, but a considerably greater number of Empyrean Merits and Thread-based components.  If you do all 'round content, especially if you do stuff that drops what you need for the Shard-related recipes, Shards are far and away more economical, as you need fewer per component when compared to Thread recipes, and you only need them for one slot.  Outside of the Incarnate specific content, Shards drop at about a 1:5 ratio compared to Threads, but are only needed at a ratio of 1:20 or so.

Speaking from my personal experience, of the 5 level 50s I've managed so far, all of them hit their biggest Incarnate speedbumps over a lack of Threads...I don't want to waste what I do get on my Alpha, if I can help it.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 1:59 PM, Greeno34 said:

Sure, it's easier. But you're going to get some Shard-related stuff anyway, and it's not useful for anything else, so you might as well put out the effort to get a little more so you'll have more Threads to use to build the other five Incarnate powers faster.

• Like 3

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!