Good primary for a /Bio brute?

StriderIV

Hi heroes!

I’m building a /bio brute. He’s inspired by “The Guyver” if you’ve ever seen the anime/old film =P

Anyways, I was wondering if there were any primaries that paired particularly well with /bio? I was looking at both Savage Melee and Street Justice, since I love the animations for both. Spines, Claws and Dual Blades all caught my eye as well. All of them could be on theme, considering you can weaponize the bio armor =P

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated

Edited by StriderIV
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Force Redux said:

I'm partial to Spines

1 minute ago, Force Redux said:

I'm partial to Spines

Nice! Spines coming out of the armor could be cool. Would be a bit different running with /bio when there are so many spine/Fire brutes out there haha

1 minute ago, Saikochoro said:

Savage gets my vote!

I really enjoy savage, especially when combined with bio.

1 minute ago, Saikochoro said:

Savage gets my vote!

I really enjoy savage, especially when combined with bio.

The animations do seem sweet! Really embodies a Brute I feel

20 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Yeah man, wasn’t sure if it would fit my “Guyver Unit” idea, but it just looks so sweet 😂 all the powers are great. Any ones you would recommend to SKIP?

I don’t take shred, the taunt, or hemorrhage. 

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Thanks man! Seems like you have to take a lot of powers in Bio, so this is helpful.

Oh I was only thinking of savage. All the powers in bio are pretty good. The only one I consistently skip is genetic contamination. Though I don’t always skip it. If I need to skip another it would likely be parasitic aura. I do like having parasitic aura though. 

26 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Bio is great with everything, but I get extra oomph out of something that adds a little melee defense, like broadsword or staff fighting.

Dang you and @Coyotedancer. I have yet to make a broadsword character, but I have been thinking about it. Now my altitis is acting up again and my sites are fixed on broadsword now. 

24 minutes ago, Saikochoro said:

Oh I was only thinking of savage. All the powers in bio are pretty good. The only one I consistently skip is genetic contamination. Though I don’t always skip it. If I need to skip another it would likely be parasitic aura. I do like having parasitic aura though. 

Nice man, thanks for the advice. I’m kind of torn between Savage Melee, Street Justice and MAYBE Claws 😭

2 hours ago, Saikochoro said:

Dang you and @Coyotedancer. I have yet to make a broadsword character, but I have been thinking about it. Now my altitis is acting up again and my sites are fixed on broadsword now. 

2 hours ago, Saikochoro said:

Would you mind sharing with me your build on a Savage Melee/Bio Brute? I pulled the trigger and made one =] for the life of me, I can’t find any builds/guides out there!

The main advantage of Savage Melee is its endurance discount, which is largely lost on Bio. 

Spines is good, and might look good with the armor set, or at least as good as its possible to do with either Bio or Spines.  You can do the whole mutant monstrosity thing this way, and the two make sense to pair conceptually.  Bio's recovery advantage will help with Quills. 

The new Energy Melee would also make a good pairing, since Bio has a damage dealing aura, a mostly single target set that excels at taking down a hard target fast has much to recommend it. 

Sets like Broadsword or Martial Arts that offer defense boosts will also work well if you want a tanking brute.  I will say that I was underwhelmed by Broadsword's performance on a BS/Energy Aura brute.  Bio may improve its efficiency and AoE potential.  If you want to be tanky and have a lot of regeneration, Dark Melee is also worth a look.  That would be a good look for Bio as well. 

(Looking good is half the battle.  When I made a new Energy Melee brute, I went with Fire for the armor set because I've always thought the two looked good together.)

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

1 hour ago, StriderIV said:

Would you mind sharing with me your build on a Savage Melee/Bio Brute? I pulled the trigger and made one =] for the life of me, I can’t find any builds/guides out there!

I'll put in the same disclaimer I put in for all my builds.  I don't claim this is the best build for the given combo, but it works well for me.  I didn't set this up in any particular order as far as when to choose the powers as you level.  I did this more as a level 50 looking back, but as I level I generally pick powers as they become available.  Also note, this build is not cheap.  Expect it to be around 400-500m depending on how patient you are with bidding and if you use converters or not.

Some notes on Bio

- The name of the game for Bio is damage.  Damage is the whole point of going bio in my opinion, therefore I build for damage.  This means I want to be in offensive adaptation almost 100% of the time.  I also want recharge.  I also want procs.  I want musculature alpha.  I want assault hybrid.  This also means I won't be chasing all the softcaps, even though bio makes it possible to do so.

- I always build Bios mitigation the same way.  S/L focus on resists, E/N focus on defense, F/C a mixture of both resist and defense, and then absorb/heal for overall.  To this end I try to push s/l to the cap.  As you can see I couldn't quite get there while still achieving my other goals, especially in offensive adaption.  However, I was able to get a respectible 79.7% while in offensive.  E/N is softcapped with t4 barrier.  I chose barrier since the T4 always has 5% defense.  I don't really need ageless or any other destiny, so I chose to use barrier.  You could change some slotting around to achieve softcap without incarnates if you want.

- Use ablative carapace proactively before each mob.  It is up very often and can soak up alpha strikes easily.  It also offers a nice regen bonus.  Use parasitic aura similarly (although this power requires targets).  It offers a nice absorb shield and good bonuses to regen and recovery. 

- I use DNA siphon mostly on the corpses of my fallen enemies.  When used on corpses it gives a nice regen/recovery bonus.  Alternatively, you can use it reactively as a heal or to recover endurance by hitting live enemies.

- Be aware that you have no DDR and low E/N resistances.  So energy heavy damage is your weakness.  Whatever gets through the defenses will hurt.  If enemies strip your defenses you WILL quickly notice how dangerous E/N is to you.  

Some notes on Savage:

- Savage does great single target and AOE damage.  Blood frenzy gives a nice boost to endurance discount and also to recharge for each stack.  I don't think that this bonus is lost on bio as all sets like recharge.

- Savage leap is all proc'd out for maximum fun and maximum damage.  This is your opening salvo for each mob.

- Rending Flurry has a nice bonus per blood frenzy stack.  It is quite nice with 5 stacks, however that you will leave you exhausted and unable to regain blood frenzy stacks for a short time.  Note the build up power will grant stacks.  I personally don't often use the 5 stacks, but will rather hit rending flurry at 3 or 4 stacks so that I can keep building blood frenzy stacks.  I like the constant recharge bonus.  This is personal preference though.

The build:  Be sure to play around with the blood frenzy stacks to see how it affects recharge and fury to see how it affects your damage.  I usually set fury to 80%.  I have blood frenzy set to 3 stacks in the build, but have it toggled off so it is not affecting the totals below.  Also be sure to play with dna siphon and parastic aura to see how it boosts your regen/recovery based on number of targets hit.

Spoiler

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Brute
Primary Power Set: Savage Melee
Secondary Power Set: Bio Armor
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Savage Strike -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury(7)
Level 1: Hardened Carapace -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(7), RctArm-ResDam(9), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9), GldArm-3defTpProc(11), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(11)
Level 2: Maiming Slash -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(17)
Level 4: Inexhaustible -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 6: Environmental Modification -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(19), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(19)
Level 8: Blood Thirst -- Empty(A)
Level 10: Vicious Slash -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(21), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Hct-Acc/Rchg(23), Hct-Dam%(23), TchofDth-Dam%(25)
Level 12: Adaptation 
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25), Rct-ResDam%(27)
Level 16: Ablative Carapace -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(27), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(29), Prv-Heal/Rchg(29), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(31), Prv-Absorb%(31)
Level 18: Rending Flurry -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(31), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Arm-Acc/Rchg(33), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Obl-%Dam(34)
Level 20: Evolving Armor -- RctArm-ResDam(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(34), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34), RctArm-EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- RctArm-ResDam(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(36), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(36), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(37)
Level 26: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(37), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(37), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(39), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(39), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(39)
Level 28: DNA Siphon -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(A), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(40), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(40), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(40), DctWnd-Rchg(46), PrfShf-EndMod(50)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(42)
Level 32: Savage Leap -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-%Dam(42), Arm-Dam%(43), ScrDrv-Dam%(43), Erd-%Dam(43), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(45)
Level 35: Genetic Contamination -- Erd-Dmg(A), Erd-Dmg/Rchg(45), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45)
Level 38: Parasitic Aura -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg(46)
Level 41: Gloom -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Apc-Acc/Rchg(48), Apc-Dam%(48), CldSns-%Dam(50)
Level 44: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 47: Soul Tentacles -- Empty(A)
Level 49: [Empty] 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Fury 
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(17)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Blood Frenzy 
Level 12: Defensive Adaptation 
Level 12: Efficient Adaptation 
Level 12: Offensive Adaptation 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
------------

Here are the totals with no blood frenzy and then with 3 stacks.  Note I have barrier turned off so it doesn't screw with the totals.  Ablative carapace is on in both snippets below as its bonus to regen is perma if you use it on cooldown.  These are in offensive adaptation.

image.png.39a14298ab3e6c574333613961c6c2ec.pngimage.png.8fa14aba129accc65aab56951f8d37cb.png

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Saikochoro said:

I'll put in the same disclaimer I put in for all my builds.  I don't claim this is the best build for the given combo, but it works well for me.  I didn't set this up in any particular order as far as when to choose the powers as you level.  I did this more as a level 50 looking back, but as I level I generally pick powers as they become available.  Also note, this build is not cheap.  Expect it to be around 400-500m depending on how patient you are with bidding and if you use converters or not.

Some notes on Bio

- The name of the game for Bio is damage.  Damage is the whole point of going bio in my opinion, therefore I build for damage.  This means I want to be in offensive adaptation almost 100% of the time.  I also want recharge.  I also want procs.  I want musculature alpha.  I want assault hybrid.  This also means I won't be chasing all the softcaps, even though bio makes it possible to do so.

- I always build Bios mitigation the same way.  S/L focus on resists, E/N focus on defense, F/C a mixture of both resist and defense, and then absorb/heal for overall.  To this end I try to push s/l to the cap.  As you can see I couldn't quite get there while still achieving my other goals, especially in offensive adaption.  However, I was able to get a respectible 79.7% while in offensive.  E/N is softcapped with t4 barrier.  I chose barrier since the T4 always has 5% defense.  I don't really need ageless or any other destiny, so I chose to use barrier.  You could change some slotting around to achieve softcap without incarnates if you want.

- Use ablative carapace proactively before each mob.  It is up very often and can soak up alpha strikes easily.  It also offers a nice regen bonus.  Use parasitic aura similarly (although this power requires targets).  It offers a nice absorb shield and good bonuses to regen and recovery. 

- I use DNA siphon mostly on the corpses of my fallen enemies.  When used on corpses it gives a nice regen/recovery bonus.  Alternatively, you can use it reactively as a heal or to recover endurance by hitting live enemies.

- Be aware that you have no DDR and low E/N resistances.  So energy heavy damage is your weakness.  Whatever gets through the defenses will hurt.  If enemies strip your defenses you WILL quickly notice how dangerous E/N is to you.  

Some notes on Savage:

- Savage does great single target and AOE damage.  Blood frenzy gives a nice boost to endurance discount and also to recharge for each stack.  I don't think that this bonus is lost on bio as all sets like recharge.

- Savage leap is all proc'd out for maximum fun and maximum damage.  This is your opening salvo for each mob.

- Rending Flurry has a nice bonus per blood frenzy stack.  It is quite nice with 5 stacks, however that you will leave you exhausted and unable to regain blood frenzy stacks for a short time.  Note the build up power will grant stacks.  I personally don't often use the 5 stacks, but will rather hit rending flurry at 3 or 4 stacks so that I can keep building blood frenzy stacks.  I like the constant recharge bonus.  This is personal preference though.

The build:  Be sure to play around with the blood frenzy stacks to see how it affects recharge and fury to see how it affects your damage.  I usually set fury to 80%.  I have blood frenzy set to 3 stacks in the build, but have it toggled off so it is not affecting the totals below.  Also be sure to play with dna siphon and parastic aura to see how it boosts your regen/recovery based on number of targets hit.

Reveal hidden contents

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Brute
Primary Power Set: Savage Melee
Secondary Power Set: Bio Armor
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Savage Strike -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury(7)
Level 1: Hardened Carapace -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(7), RctArm-ResDam(9), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9), GldArm-3defTpProc(11), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(11)
Level 2: Maiming Slash -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(17)
Level 4: Inexhaustible -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 6: Environmental Modification -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(19), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(19)
Level 8: Blood Thirst -- Empty(A)
Level 10: Vicious Slash -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(21), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Hct-Acc/Rchg(23), Hct-Dam%(23), TchofDth-Dam%(25)
Level 12: Adaptation 
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25), Rct-ResDam%(27)
Level 16: Ablative Carapace -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(27), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(29), Prv-Heal/Rchg(29), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(31), Prv-Absorb%(31)
Level 18: Rending Flurry -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(31), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Arm-Acc/Rchg(33), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Obl-%Dam(34)
Level 20: Evolving Armor -- RctArm-ResDam(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(34), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34), RctArm-EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- RctArm-ResDam(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(36), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(36), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(37)
Level 26: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(37), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(37), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(39), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(39), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(39)
Level 28: DNA Siphon -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(A), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(40), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(40), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(40), DctWnd-Rchg(46), PrfShf-EndMod(50)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(42)
Level 32: Savage Leap -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-%Dam(42), Arm-Dam%(43), ScrDrv-Dam%(43), Erd-%Dam(43), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(45)
Level 35: Genetic Contamination -- Erd-Dmg(A), Erd-Dmg/Rchg(45), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45)
Level 38: Parasitic Aura -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg(46)
Level 41: Gloom -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Apc-Acc/Rchg(48), Apc-Dam%(48), CldSns-%Dam(50)
Level 44: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 47: Soul Tentacles -- Empty(A)
Level 49: [Empty] 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Fury 
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(17)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Blood Frenzy 
Level 12: Defensive Adaptation 
Level 12: Efficient Adaptation 
Level 12: Offensive Adaptation 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
------------

Here are the totals with no blood frenzy and then with 3 stacks.  Note I have barrier turned off so it doesn't screw with the totals.  Ablative carapace is on in both snippets below as its bonus to regen is perma if you use it on cooldown.  These are in offensive adaptation.

image.png.39a14298ab3e6c574333613961c6c2ec.pngimage.png.8fa14aba129accc65aab56951f8d37cb.png

I appreciate you man! Sorry, my phone won’t let me open the build 😭 once I’m on my desktop I should be able to check it out