Buff GM damage

xl8

GM's should be one of the highlights of the game. But now they're soloable.

They're regen levels are still difficult (good), so to make them more challenging for all levels of teams, let's buff their damage so a close proximity wipe is possible.

Gets the healers healing, the trollers spamming control, and tanks taunting and pointing away from team.

14 hours ago, Apparition said:

FWIW, the Goliath War Walker in Boomtown and Seed of Hamidon cannot be soloed as far as I am aware.  The rest can.

Seconded.

And, gm's already DO 1.1 shot people.

In game, just ask lusca about that one time... At band camp... Or DE GMs about that Monster mash in portal court...

On the forums... Just ask @GM Arcanum about (censored) 🤪🤪🤪

Edited by SwitchFade

If your goal is to balance a GM so they're a challenge for a full team, you're going to end up with NPCs that a smaller team has zero chance of beating. Yes, some builds can solo GMs but those are specific ones that have had a lot of investment to get to that point, and the amount of time it takes to do it means it isn't worth doing from a rewards standpoint. I don't see it as a problem. Like, sure, my Fire/Cold Corruptor can solo most GMs, but I rarely do it because it's a long process for what, a little bit of inf and XP and like 6 merits?

Edited by macskull
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

23 minutes ago, macskull said:

I rarely do it because it's a long process

My ill/trick can solo most in under 10 minutes. I have others which take slightly longer, but it not limited to any specific archetype.

1 minute ago, xl8 said:

My ill/trick can solo most in under 10 minutes. I have others which take slightly longer, but it not limited to any specific archetype.

Yeah, even then it is not worth the time spent from a rewards standpoint. If a build were able to solo GMs at a speed which allowed a disproportionate rewards gain for time spent, that'd be a different story, but getting 6 merits in 10 minutes for something you can't really farm isn't a problem.

2 minutes ago, macskull said:

it is not worth the time spent from a rewards standpoint

I'm there for the challenge (which overall I'd like to see more of for teams). Rewards are of zero interest, especially the purchasable variety.

Just now, xl8 said:

I'm there for the challenge (which overall I'd like to see more of for teams). Rewards are of zero interest, especially the purchasable variety.

What he is saying that making GMs more difficult isn’t worth it because it would effectively lock out smaller teams, and GMs routinely being soloed isn’t an issue as the vast majority of people don’t do it due to the low rewards and high investment needed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Apparition said:

it would effectively lock out smaller teams

I see no issue with this. When a GM is spotted a call is put out and many rush to help. Small low level teams seldom do their own thing. Babbage as case in point. Even so, little damage is taken and it's a grind fest. Healers are obsolete.

2 minutes ago, xl8 said:

I see no issue with this. When a GM is spotted a call is put out and many rush to help. Small low level teams seldom do their own thing. Babbage as case in point. Even so, little damage is taken and it's a grind fest. Healers are obsolete.

Healers have never been needed in City of Heroes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, xl8 said:

Healers are obsolete.

Healers have been obsolete in this game outside of low-level content since April 2004.

• Thanks 4

18 hours ago, xl8 said:

GM's should be one of the highlights of the game. But now they're soloable.

No, GMs are not - generically - "soloable." I can't just take any random build and be assured of soloing them successfully. Even "GM killer" combo powersets need specific build choices to do so.

Can I throw specific powerset and slotting choices into a build and solo GMs? Yes. That does not make GMs "soloable," or make it a problem that means GMs need buffing.

• Like 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

3 hours ago, xl8 said:

wrong game..

• Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4 hours ago, xl8 said:

What's the issue with giving GMs more damage? A lot of you appear to have an issue without actually saying what said issue is.

Well, here's two specific examples.

To elaborate: if a team is buffed to the gills the amount of damage a GM does is pretty irrelevant since they will only rarely hit a player anyways. If a team isn't buffed to the gills a GM still presents somewhat of a challenge especially at non-incarnate levels of power. Increasing GM damage would not make them any more difficult for the teams which are already easily able to handle them while making them much more difficult for the teams that can't.

You seem to be stuck on this misconception of "enemies dealing more damage will make healers necessary" when that simply isn't the case. CoH isn't like most other MMOs where a "healer" is practically a party requirement. Sure, at lower levels where players are missing key powers or are underslotted, healing provides extra mitigation and survivability, but by the time you break out of the low-to-mid 20s "healers" are largely ineffective and a waste of space on a team. That's always been the case and barring a major overhaul of the combat mechanics in this game it's not going to change.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, xl8 said:

What's the issue with giving GMs more damage? A lot of you appear to have an issue without actually saying what said issue is.

Here... An example...

Lusca can already dirt nap you, unless you're built to prevent it, i.e. defense or resist. Now I can prevent the damage, so scaling it up doesn't matter. On the other hand, the squishies that can't prevent the incoming damage...

At current damage, squishies can barely survive a single hit, but they can survive. Up that damage? Night night.

Sometimes, with my tank, I pull 4 or 5 GMs to portal court for a good old monster mash... And even Brutes get K.O.d in nearly one hit. Little controllers and blasters get insta-gibbed and the knockback ragdolls them into a car, whereupon they take a nice dirt nap with sweet baby jebus.

No vote on upping it.

Edited by SwitchFade
  • Like 3

On 2/18/2021 at 7:35 PM, xl8 said:

GM's should be one of the highlights of the game.

I agree with this statement.  And I agree that their current state of lacking difficulty is not achieving this goal.  However, increasing the difficulty isn't the only solution.  I look at Seed of Hamidon as being the most thoughtfully developed GM fight, and also the one least able to be solo'd.  And yet, generally the only time I see people fighting him is for badges.  Most of the time he just sits in zone waiting for nobody to come.

However, many people turn out for MSR and traditional Hami fights.   The difference?  The rewards.  If you make the GMs harder, you gotta up the rewards.  Make them true gamewide events again.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

1 hour ago, Shred Monkey said:

I agree with this statement.  And I agree that their current state of lacking difficulty is not achieving this goal.  However, increasing the difficulty isn't the only solution.  I look at Seed of Hamidon as being the most thoughtfully developed GM fight, and also the one least able to be solo'd.  And yet, generally the only time I see people fighting him is for badges.  Most of the time he just sits in zone waiting for nobody to come.

However, many people turn out for MSR and traditional Hami fights.   The difference?  The rewards.  If you make the GMs harder, you gotta up the rewards.  Make them true gamewide events again.

Pretty much this. I  . . . don't care about the Monsters, for this reason.. Hamidon and MSR I will always show up for.

EDIT: Bump each GM like Lusca to 20 merits then I'd show up.

Edited by golstat2003
quick update

Even the Seed of Hamidon is soloable. I have done so on both my namesake stalker and blaster. It's just a long and tedious slog that I only did to be able to say that I did it. The reward was definitely not worth the effort.

From Champion (Hero) and Infinity (Villain), currently playing on Everlasting.

Former member of the Hammers of Justice on Champion.

Raid leader for 'Everlasting TFs'.

Mains: Trickery Girl (Ill/Rad Controller), Burk (Sword/Shield Stalker), and 6 other complete badge characters.