Which Server is the "RED" server?

UltraAlt

So which server IS the "RED" server?

We have unofficial RP and PVP servers.

We have the highest population server.

We even have a european server.

I keep hearing talk on and off about how the villain population is so small and so hard to find enough players or players leading villain task forces and what not.

Perhaps if there was an unofficial "RED" server then there could be a higher population through condensing the existing villain player base.

I know "crazy talk", "he's bonkers!", "out of this mind".

Undoubtedly, there would still be more heroes on the server but what do you villians care about that anyway?!

I would suggest the unofficial PVP server. There isn't much traffic there. Should be good for connection speed, plus if you are a villain and want to beat up (player character) heroes, well ... isn't that where you would find them anyway? 

Just more mad rambling on my part, because, you know, that's what I do.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Excelsior. Because it has the most players on. And therefore the most redside players.

• Like 2

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

When you brought this up in the Excelsior shard forum a few months ago, it was pointed out to you that every shard is the red shard.  This game is both City of Heroes and City of Villains, not one nor the other.  There should be a red side population on each and every shard.

Just because you don't like red side and only consider this game to be City of Heroes doesn't mean that red side players should be sequestered off to one shard.  Please stop it with this nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Apparition said:

Just because you don't like red side and only consider this game to be City of Heroes doesn't mean that red side players should be sequestered off to one shard.  Please stop it with this nonsense.

? who is this this pointed it at?

I guess it is just a general villainous reply.

44 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

I keep hearing talk on and off about how the villain population is so small and so hard to find enough players or players leading villain task forces and what not.

Perhaps if there was an unofficial "RED" server then there could be a higher population through condensing the existing villain player base.

So I'm wondering how getting more villains to together to be able to team up with one another is somehow showing hatred of villain characters.

Confusing, but I guess villains are like that.

My supervillain group is on Torchbearer. Not that I play them that often. Not that I so much play ANY character that often. I'm too busy switching characters.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

5 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Sounds like segregation to me.

seg·re·ga·tion
/ˌseɡrəˈɡāSH(ə)n/
noun
the action or state of people gathering to enjoy something that the group enjoys doing.
"the segregation of gamers on game nights"

I think that's Orwellian doublespeak.

3 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

seg·re·ga·tion
/ˌseɡrəˈɡāSH(ə)n/
noun
the action or state of people gathering to enjoy something that the group enjoys doing.
"the segregation of gamers on game nights"

I think that's Orwellian doublespeak.

seg·re·ga·tion
/ˌseɡrəˈɡāSH(ə)n/
noun
the action or state of setting someone or something apart from other people or things or being set apart.
"the segregation of pupils with learning difficulties"

"the segregation of villains to a separate server"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

So which server IS the "RED" server?

We have unofficial RP and PVP servers.

We have the highest population server.

We even have a european server.

If you're going to try to advocate for a "red" server, then what I want to know is...

Which server do you consider the "blue" server? What about the "yellow" server?

There's a host of players all over the place. I switch sides constantly and I don't really care to be on a "red" server if I'm playing villains - only thing that matters is that I'm where the folks I enjoy playing with are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I don't see any reason to get upset about a suggestion, but I also don't think this would help anything.   Redside population, even on live, seemed to be no more than half blueside at any given time.  At least after the novelty of CoV's release wore off.

Almost nobody would move to this hypothetical villain server from any of the more populated servers.  There is simply more to do blueside than redside and it's always been that way.  Going Rogue was pretty much the nail in the coffin of any hope that redside would ever be brought up to parity on content.

7 minutes ago, ZemX said:

I don't see any reason to get upset about a suggestion, but I also don't think this would help anything.   Redside population, even on live, seemed to be no more than half blueside at any given time.  At least after the novelty of CoV's release wore off.

Almost nobody would move to this hypothetical villain server from any of the more populated servers.  There is simply more to do blueside than redside and it's always been that way.  Going Rogue was pretty much the nail in the coffin of any hope that redside would ever be brought up to parity on content.

It's a harmful suggestion intended to segregate the player population.  On top of that, it was brought up months ago and thoroughly shot down.

FWIW, I exclusively play red and gold sides.  I do not play blue side.  There may be more blue side content, but I find the vast majority of it extremely dull and boring with some exceptions, (mainly the Faultline and Croatoa story arcs).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you want it, do it.

Start organizing villain events. Do it on regular times.

Get villain groups together to run VG things at regular times.

Advertise it. Put the work in to make it happen.

For instance, start planning and advertising. Tuesday? Nope. BROOsday - redside brute bruising (ok, the others can come along if they want.)  Wednesday? Widsday... Widows (and SOA,) go through the arcs, missions, whatever. Thorn Tree Thursdays. Friday, take a day off. Saturday is shatterday - get those radios in, get as much mayhem going as possible. (I'd also suggest, if doing this, you get backup in case you can't show up, because this can burn one person out quick.)

Edited by Greycat
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

"the segregation of villains to a separate server"

Yes. Somehow making a suggestion on how people can get together to game in a way they mutually enjoy  must be segregation. That is what segregation is all about.

Obviously my suggestion somehow forces all villains to migrate to the "Red" server against their will.

Obviously the "Red" Server is intended to be a concentration camp to purify the other servers of the villainous PCs in order to bring about Heroic Utopia on the other servers.

It must be an ... what should we call it? A villainous plot to move cage all the villains into one Shard ... and then destroy that Shard completely to remove all villains from the City of Heroes so it can truly be what it is meant to be.

I feel sad for all the RPr's that segregated themselves.

So horrible that Tankers are segregated on Tanker Tuesdays!

And the PVPrs must really beat themselves up about their self imposed segregation.

Not to mention the Europeans segregating themselves simply because the server is in Europe. Horrible. It must be stopped!

Friends should also feel bad about playing with each other as that is true segregation in its highest form!

How dare people that are friends spend more time with each other than anyone one else?!

Down with friendship, getting along, and enjoying other people's company. Horrifying.

Best part of it is, while they are busy homogenizing into bland uniformity I can simply take over the market and make millions. Millions. And then Robots of course. Lots of robots.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arli said:

Which server do you consider the "blue" server? What about the "yellow" server?

You might have a point about those yellow guys, but they don't complain about not having anyone to team with.

Blue server? Ha. Heroes aren't complaining about anyone to team with either. Heroes get together to game with each other on every server.

It's always the mopey villains complaining about not having anyone to team with. How they are so cool, but no one wants to game with them.

"I'll turn on you and steal you blind in an instant! Why won't you be my friend? Here have a cookie. I promise it probably isn't lethal poison. No. Not that one. Take the one with skull and crossbones on it."

Even try to say something that might be to their advantage and they attack it.
It is what villains do. Can't help being villainous.

Carry on with your bad selves in self imposed isolation.

Villains are people too.

That's meant to be only -slightly- tongue-in-cheek here.  

The REAL answer is:  Every player has a legitimate play experience, so long as they are doing no harm to other players.

Besides, Everlasting is the Redsider Shard, clearly.  Excelsior may occasionally have more individual players on Redside, but Everlasting has the highest ratio in favour of villains.

(Again, going tongue-in-cheek here, to be clear.  Players get to be Villains everywhere, and SHOULD be Villains on every Shard.  Especially if any of the many requested gameplay features to enhance Redside agency are ever implemented.)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ZemX said:

Almost nobody would move to this hypothetical villain server from any of the more populated servers.

Then as the 2nd poster suggested the villains could congregate on (one of the more) populated servers (Excelsior or Everlasting).

Characters can pretty easily move from one server to another (other than the naming issue which isn't always an issue).

I don't know if I would move either.

1 hour ago, ZemX said:

Redside population, even on live, seemed to be no more than half blueside at any given time.  At least after the novelty of CoV's release wore off.

At this point, most of the time and every day the villains have 1/5th the population on any given server.

Oddly enough, right now Indomitable has 60 Heroes and 24 villains. Go Figure.

38 minutes ago, Greycat said:

If you want it, do it.

Start organizing villain events. Do it on regular times.

Get villain groups together to run VG things at regular times.

Advertise it. Put the work in to make it happen.

If you want it, do it.

Start organizing what you enjoy and bring in other by advertising special events.

Set up regular game nights and play times when and where people can find you to enjoy what you enjoy doing.

Create posts about it. Use the Clubs and Calendar options about under the browe menu.

But for the love of Stan Lee quit complaining about not having other/enough villains to game with and then complaining when people try to help you organize larger groups of like minded gamers.

Also, just in case anyone in this thread hadn't seen it yet, or wants a refresher:   https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/19655-weekly-discussion-53-how-to-increase-villain-population/

There's a WEALTH of ideas to improve Redside population by implementing gameplay ideas which deliver on the original promise made by Cryptic way back in 2005:  Villains Act, Heroes React.

With @Cobalt Arachne mentioning that they're adding a trigger to launch a Nemesis Invasion, it's clear that the possibility exists for the likes of:  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/17554-make-red-side-great-again/

So, come on Devs!

Add content to Redside which triggers content Blueside.

Something for everyone, but incentives for Redside in particular.  On EVERY Shard.

If you build it, we WILL come!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

So is this a new suggestion thread (but in the General Discussion sub forum?), a rant about villain population, or just a collection of previously posted suggestions that did not receive the adjudication that the original poster wanted? 

Yes.

It is also a low budget attempt at mind control.

It is a new water flavoring system.

It is a farmer named Hank.

It is the platform for a run for President of Zimbabwe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

43 minutes ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

Also, just in case anyone in this thread hadn't seen it yet, or wants a refresher:   https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/19655-weekly-discussion-53-how-to-increase-villain-population/

There's a WEALTH of ideas to improve Redside population by implementing gameplay ideas which deliver on the original promise made by Cryptic way back in 2005:  Villains Act, Heroes React.

With @Cobalt Arachne mentioning that they're adding a trigger to launch a Nemesis Invasion, it's clear that the possibility exists for the likes of:  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/17554-make-red-side-great-again/

So, come on Devs!

Add content to Redside which triggers content Blueside.

Something for everyone, but incentives for Redside in particular.  On EVERY Shard.

If you build it, we WILL come!

They should make it so that when you complete the LRSF it'll spawn his henchwoman Ghost Widow and the bunch into AP at the bottom of the steps alongside those newly minted heroes.  Or if you defeat Hamidon in the Abyss he'll spawn on top of Mis Lib.  It'd be funny to realize the police drones are the most OP npcs in the game when they one shot Hamidon.

Edited by Mezmera
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

They should make it so that when you complete the LRSF it'll spawn his henchwoman Ghost Widow and the bunch into AP at the bottom of the steps alongside those newly minted heroes.  Or if you defeat Hamidon in the Abyss he'll spawn on top of Mis Lib.  It'd be funny to realize the police drones are the most OP npcs in the game when they one shot Hamidon.

Nah.  Have Hamidon spawn on the second floor of the Atlas AE building.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

The flaw in this thinking is the presumption that most "red" players play villains exclusively.  Most players I know and interact with play both sides (some even play gold), and for the most part they like to keep their characters on the same server as each other.  So while there are some players who consistently play "red," I don't think you can claim there is a such thing as an "existing villain player base," or at least that if there is, it's a smaller portion of the whole.

Trying to push all who play villains to one server would mean either 1) players separating their hero and villain characters to different servers, which I expect most will not be willing to do, or 2) many "red" players bringing their "blue" alts over as well, boosting the "blue" population on that server and more or less maintaining the existing ratio; i.e., an exercise in futility.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Several years ago, in World of Warcraft, there were a few PvP servers that essentially 100% Alliance, and a few that were essentially 100% Horde, because people hated to lose in PvP and kind of gravitated away from servers were they were being walloped, and over TO servers where they could more safely wreck face.  Which led more and more players to self-select into servers that favored "their" faction until there was no longer any point. 

I believe Blizz probably took some steps to address that with cross-server queues for battelgrounds, or something.... memory gets fuzzy after X years. 

That's probably less a concern for CoH, since we don't have truly open-world PvP rules.  Heroes simply can't gang-rush Cap Au Diable and start killing quest NPC's, etc. 

But I do think it makes more sense to go by player activity, than by player faction.

Also, what @Blackbird71 said.  I prefer Gold over Red over Blue, but I enjoy all of them, and I wouldnt transfer my characters off Excelsior unless I was going to mass-transfer ALL of them off Excelsior.  I have no interest in temporary transfers. Many people enjoy that and it's cool, but I prefer to remain on one server at all times.

1 hour ago, Blackbird71 said:

I don't think you can claim there is a such thing as an "existing villain player base," or at least that if there is, it's a smaller portion of the whole.

There are certainly people who play almost exclusively blue or red, but I kind of wonder how many people really do that.  I would think most people would want access to content from both sides.

Have the devs ever posted alignment stats like they've done for ATs and powersets?