Marketplace and Rare Salvage

Rahabina

Greetings,

Not sure who is buying rare salvage and resubmitting on the MP for 1m+ on Excelsior server.  

Lots of people don't farm and can't afford these ridiculous prices.

Please show some fellowship with your peers in-game and not mark-up things so high.  I think 500k is fine, 1m is stupid expensive. You're going to make farmers like myself hoard whatever we have so you cant buy these out and be greedy at other player's expense.

Thank you very much!

v/r,

Bina

• Thumbs Up 1

You should be aware that the HC dev team seeded the AH with all tiers of salvage and put a cap on prices. If you bid 1M on any rare salvage, you definitely should get it almost immediately, barring some crazy server lag/latency issues. 

I do agree - 500k is a reasonable price, and most people I know simply use brain storm ideas from the winter packs until their inventory is full and sell them at 1 inf to mitigate such foolishness. 
The issue could be that someone has 200 "slots" or spaces to place a bid on inventory, and each slot/space can hold a bid for 10 of each type of salvage, so we need to be selling 200*10 pieces to fully satisfy the bids that person has in place, plus the bids you want. That's an awful lot of clicking on brain storm ideas. 

I suggest you bid on 5 of each rare in the tier you're wanting to work in , and just leave them in the AH for when you need them, and re-order at the 500K mark when you pull them out. 
Just have to be patient. 

• Like 1

Rares go for 400-600. Any deviation is the result of,

UI glitch

An accidental bid too high

A single impatient person

Salvage is not manipulatable in such a fashion that it would distort equilibrium price. Bid the normal 400-600 you usually do. You'll get the salvage.

45 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

Rares go for 400-600. Any deviation is the result of,

UI glitch

An accidental bid too high

A single impatient person

Salvage is not manipulatable in such a fashion that it would distort equilibrium price. Bid the normal 400-600 you usually do. You'll get the salvage.

This is wrong I bid 500 and 600 and nothing, there was tons of stock.  I am not the only person this has happened to.  And it's not all rare salvage just certain ones.  

This also happened yesterday.  I would prefer it to be a glitch though don't get me wrong here just that your solution wasn't fixing it

Edited by Rahabina

12 minutes ago, Rahabina said:

This is wrong I bid 500 and 600 and nothing, there was tons of stock.  I am not the only person this has happened to.  And it's not all rare salvage just certain ones.  

This also happened yesterday.  I would prefer it to be a glitch though don't get me wrong here just that your solution wasn't fixing it

All rare salvage is in the same bucket, so if you bought one type but didn't buy another at the same price, that means that there were no more to buy at that price by the time you switched to the second type of rare salvage.

This is a player-driven market, meaning that if you want to buy an Alien Blood Sample at 600k, and you bid there and you don't buy it, it's because at that moment no one is offering one there.  Someone else may have bought all of them for offer before you got there.  You can put in a bid and wait and sooner(tm) or later someone will come in to sell some more, hopefully at or below your bid price.

The devs seeded 10mm rare salvage at the price of 1mm inf.  You can essentially always be able to buy a rare salvage for 1,000,000.  Anything less than that, you are relying on someone else coming in and offering them.

My advice is to bid whatever price you feel is appropriate and then wait.  Work on your costume.  Run a mission.  Read a book.  If you have a good bid (600k will probably be good enough to fill in less than 30 minutes, maybe much less).  If you want to buy it instantly, bid 1mm.

Also, you can always run AE missions for Architect rewards.  540 tickets can be traded for a rare salvage of your choice.

• Like 2

Who run Bartertown?

1 hour ago, Rahabina said:

Not sure who is buying rare salvage and resubmitting on the MP for 1m+ on Excelsior server. 

37 minutes ago, Rahabina said:

They're not wrong to tell you all salvage of a certain quality (common, uncommon, rare) is in the same bucket. It is. If the price "went up" from one bid to the next, you happened to get the last of what was listed at a certain point.

Also making it harder for people to do anything like that is the fact the market isn't server based. It's spread across all five servers.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

42 minutes ago, Rahabina said:

It's not wrong, it will work.

I guarandang-tee you that there are some available for a smidgen over 500k now.  I just brainstormed some and put them up for a little over 500k, just so there's some supply.

Still unsold.

Edited by Hedgefund

I had heard salvage was seeded in the Market.  I always assumed that 500k was the point the Devs had a gajillion rare salvage loaded at.  I usually buy reare at 425-475 and once in a while at 500k.  I was seriously shocked (and pissed!) that prices climbed to the 600-1m mark this weekend.  I craft and sell and most of my stuff goes for around 3 million.  That is after crafting costs, salvage costs, the converters I burn and then market price.  It is not a huge margin.  I just want to move the stuff and like to keep the community in low priced Perf Shifters, Numinas etc.  But if the price of rares go up I may end up changing my ways.  (I tend not to change back once I alter my behavior) so that would be a few hundred enhancers each week that are NOT on the Excelsior market anymore.  It takes a bit of work to craft all that crap and I can earn more farming.  The recipes i can burn at this price and make more money.  

image.png.216465f711c383368158e652b1dfd026.png

I listed these for 6 influence. This just proves that the market isn't evil. It's the players that don't understand the market -and the seeded prices that max at 1M are at fault. I have no idea who overspent and I'm sorry - I listed at 6 inf to cut you folks a break. But, my piggy bank thanks you for your ignorance. 

• Like 2

the auction house is linked across all the servers.  post something on excel and someone can buy it on torch.

also salvage of the same rarity are all combined.  if i post one rare for 600k and you bid 600k on a different rare,  that item is changed to what you bid on and i made a sale.  the same goes for different levels on recipies and attuned or not on enhancements.

so nobody on a single server is manipulating prices on a single server,  its all combined across all servers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

The devs seeded 10mm rare salvage at the price of 1mm inf.  You can essentially always be able to buy a rare salvage for 1,000,000. 

So the devs are the evil marketers.  And apparently you their puppet advertising their wares.  I mean really 1 mill.  What are they spending all this influence on?  I demand answers!  : )

4 minutes ago, RageusQuitus2 said:

So the devs are the evil marketers.  And apparently you their puppet advertising their wares.  I mean really 1 mill.  What are they spending all this influence on?  I demand answers!  : )

Evil or not I just know the Rare prices spiked.  So I am rethinking my entire crafting strategies.  i can farm for the amount of time I craft and make equal or better cash.  So, the price spike is just the kick I needed to stop crafting.  so, count my few hundred weekly drop of perf shifters, numinas, and various other little i/o out of the market.  I can sell the rares and use the merits to do other things to make money, no doubt either making the same or more for much less time investment.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RageusQuitus2 said:

I'm getting a 5% cut.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Who run Bartertown?

As much as I’d like to eat popcorn and poke the bear, let me tell you what’s happening.

Someone is apparently (I’m away from the game, but I’m going off what I see in the last few posts) bidding on a lot of rares at 500,000.  I don’t know how many; I can’t see the # bidding.

@Ukase offered rares at 6, which means that they will trade to the highest outstanding bid >= 6, which is 500,000.  There appear to be a lot of bids there.  @Hedgefund has offered some above 500,000, let’s call it 550,000.  They haven’t traded so either no one has bid at or above that level or (more likely) someone is offering rares at a lower price, like 525,000 and those are trading.

Just because someone pays 1mm for a rare doesn’t mean that you have to pay 1mm for the next one.

tl;dr either wait for the person who is buying at 500k to buy all they want or need and then your lower bids may fill, or bid higher than 500k to get higher in the queue than them.  You may not be able to buy them tonight, but rares will trade below 500k again at some point.  I guarantee* it.

* not a legal guarantee.

• Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

I've never understood complaints about high prices. The market is a two-way street. If rare salvage goes for a million, then when you get a rare salvage drop, boom, you just made (almost) a million. I remember in the old days, a PvP recipe drop could mean I just made a billion.

So unless you want to buy off the market without actually playing the game, it evens out- higher prices means higher income, lower prices means less income.

The biggest mystery to me is how people love to complain about outrageous prices, yet they're complaining as they pay them. Why pay them? The game has more than one way to get what you want. 
Salvage? AE Tickets will get you there easily. (assuming you have a farmer - and nowadays, if you don't have a farmer that really is your own fault) 

• Like 1

One other possibility here is that sometimes the market is a bit slow to respond to bids.  If you get impatient and cancel and relist you go to the back of the bid line and you have to wait for the server to get to you, so you get impatient and rebid higher. Rinse, repeat, you are now bidding way over what the going rate is.  Patience is a virtue.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

The biggest mystery to me is how people love to complain about outrageous prices, yet they're complaining as they pay them. Why pay them? The game has more than one way to get what you want. 
Salvage? AE Tickets will get you there easily. (assuming you have a farmer - and nowadays, if you don't have a farmer that really is your own fault) 

Americans (and that is mostly what we got) are conditioned to have a certain market mentality.  Bread is always X, gas is always Y.  If the prices change dramatically over a short period of time "Dark forces are at work"  I am a victim of this type of thinking but I am aware.

The prices spiking for me this weekend were just a catalyst to change the way I handle recipe drops.  I spend too much time crafting and converting garbage to get 3 mil a enhancer, which works out to a little more than two million after market fees. And how many converters did i burn to get that 2 mil?  Plus the LOOOOONG time investment.  Time is money.  I/O prices have been on a steady march down.  This is where I get off.

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

The prices spiking for me this weekend were just a catalyst to change the way I handle recipe drops.  I spend too much time crafting and converting garbage to get 3 mil a enhancer, which works out to a little more than two million after market fees. And how many converters did i burn to get that 2 mil?  Plus the LOOOOONG time investment.  Time is money.  I/O prices have been on a steady march down.  This is where I get off.

And this is what "they" were after! "They" being what I deem the "ebil marketeer". I kind of hate that phrase, because there's no such word as "ebil". I'm sure it's a typo that got carried over for reasons that escape me. And "this" being people getting out of the craft/convert/sell space. When people leave the space, prices WILL creep back up. So, by all means, take a break - but save those converters for your own characters, lest you feel the bitter sting of what happens when there is no competition. (or very little) 

The market is all about competition. At least, that's what we're told in school. There's a slight distinction between Capitalism and Free Enterprise, but they overlap in so many areas, the lines can blur. Make no mistake, with the seeded salvage, this market is neither. At least, not in the definitions I understand. (College was a long time ago! I was never a great student, either) But we have to remain competitive, albeit with smaller margins, in order for the consumer to win. 

Isn't this something we want?  Look at it this way.  If there are players with enough inf to buy now at well above "established" prices then we are in a good place.  Doesn't it also mean there are a lot of players making alts or new players making their first character?  Again a good thing.  In the past these spikes have always settled out because there are certainly some of us that are crazy enough to list salvage for 5 inf when we just want rid of it.  Spread that over all the servers and things will eventually even out.  I get it.  We are unfortunately used to how the market seems to work in the real world.  Once the price of something goes up it rarely if ever goes back down.  Not true in HC.  Just gotta ride out the sheeple wave as the herd rushes to "OMG! I gotta buy NOW because the price is going UP UP UP and I don't want to have to spend 4 bajillion inf tomorrow when I can spend 3.5 bajillion now".  There are too many other avenues for supply for this sort of market blip to sustain itself for long.

35 minutes ago, iBot said:

Isn't this something we want?  Look at it this way.  If there are players with enough inf to buy now at well above "established" prices then we are in a good place.  Doesn't it also mean there are a lot of players making alts or new players making their first character?  Again a good thing.  In the past these spikes have always settled out because there are certainly some of us that are crazy enough to list salvage for 5 inf when we just want rid of it.  Spread that over all the servers and things will eventually even out.  I get it.  We are unfortunately used to how the market seems to work in the real world.  Once the price of something goes up it rarely if ever goes back down.  Not true in HC.  Just gotta ride out the sheeple wave as the herd rushes to "OMG! I gotta buy NOW because the price is going UP UP UP and I don't want to have to spend 4 bajillion inf tomorrow when I can spend 3.5 bajillion now".  There are too many other avenues for supply for this sort of market blip to sustain itself for long.

I quote this and put a sentence in bold to point out that I can list an item on Excelsior, or any other server and any other player on any of the other shards/servers - Torch, Everlasting, etc, can bid on it and buy it if their bid is high enough. I keep seeing people think that the market is only for the server their character is on - that is not the case.