Has there been talks about a "classic" server

gronbek

There's another server out there... I want to say it was called Rebirth, or something like-... that runs a version closer to "old school" City. 'No clue which issue they're on, or what the population is like. I've been content with Homecoming, so haven't gone exploring myself.   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

That was actually the goal of SEGS as I understand it, but their progress at this point has not been updated recently as far as I can tell.

SEGS 10/7/2020 Update

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

1 hour ago, gronbek said:

Meaning, CoH issue 1? Or maybe any other issue that was regarded as the "best" in the CoH history. 

Issue 1 would be akin to self inflicted cardboard cuts. There were so many quickly patched things. Issue 3 would be the earliest, and then we would still lose tons of great stuff. Like pistols and blades.

Edited by SwitchFade
  • Like 1

Will never happen.  The only source code available is for the Issue 24 beta.  The developers would have to spend so much time and effort rolling everything back that they could spend on other things, like new endgame content that is desperately needed. Then you have the issue that no one will agree on what the “best” issue was.  Plus it would further fragment what is left of the CoH population.

• Thumbs Up 5

9 hours ago, Apparition said:

Will never happen.  The only source code available is for the Issue 24 beta.  The developers would have to spend so much time and effort rolling everything back that they could spend on other things, like new endgame content that is desperately needed. Then you have the issue that no one will agree on what the “best” issue was.  Plus it would further fragment what is left of the CoH population.

Not to mention, it would be very unfun.

The game is much more fun now, than before.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SwitchFade said:

Not to mention, it would be very unfun.

The game is much more fun now, than before.

Yep.  I've seen some clamor for an Issue 4 server.  That sounds about the definition of unfun to me.  No red side, no Brutes, no Masterminds, no Corruptors, no Stalkers, no IO enhancements, no Faultline revamp, half of the power sets would be gone, no Croatoa, no Rikti War Zone revamp, no Rikti mothership raids, and Hamidon raids now require 200 people again with dive bombing Illusion Controllers?  No thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I played on live from the start of Redside.  Classic. Hmmmm. Have you played without the inherent fitness powers and having to unlock a travel power by building up to it?  I ran many Brutes that way.  You say classic, i say pain in the ask me more details. I know many things that made the game so tedious back then

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Marine X said:

That was actually the goal of SEGS as I understand it, but their progress at this point has not been updated recently as far as I can tell.

SEGS 10/7/2020 Update

Followed a couple of those links and came across a Tweet that gave a link from 3 months ago. Still not the newest info, but it's something: https://github.com/Segs/SegsEngine/wiki/Current-status-of-4.1.0

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

5 hours ago, TombTyrant said:

I can't imagine giving up what we have, the developments are so much a core part of this game's experience.

Ehhh, yes and no. It really depends. For some it's more the fact a Scrapper (for instance) can be wildly different from another Scrapper, as opposed to other games where you're just "fighter #12098734" with maybe an armor difference, or you haven't picked up the same sword at level 309 as everyone else yet, and a lot of the developments are more a distraction than anything else. Or even seen negatively (see the discussions - or arguments - over IOs, incarnates, perma-ing and capping everything, etc.)

If the game were *modular,* I'm sure we'd see some interesting combinations - like SO-everything, but everything else is here, or pure COV where you also... I don't know, get Alpha at level 10, Interface at 20, Lore at 30, Destiny at 40 and Lore at 50 and just have to unlock Hybrid or something. But we don't have earlier versions of the code, so aside from some things being able to be enabled/disabled, we can't really have an "issue 3 server" - it'd be like taking the current mid-engine Corvette and saying "ok, I like some of this, but I wish I could make it a '63 split-window." Not really able to "just" be backdated...

• Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Ah those rose colored glasses. Even if the code was available such a server would never have a large population.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

Yeah, this wouldn't go anywhere.  You can just look around at various kinds of challenges people are doing and see they aren't being done by very many people.  A handful each really.  We just tried this recently with an SO-only challenge and got only a few people interested so far. 

Speaking of which, you go most of the way back to a classic feel of the game just by doing that: Skip IO sets.  You don't need a new server.  No other single thing really changed the game as much as that did since probably Enhancement Diversification. It not only put some things ED took away back in play (e.g. Perma-Hasten) but it allowed ATs to get things their powersets couldn't normally provide such as mez protection, soft-capped defenses, resistance, regen/recovery, etc.     What you find if you stick to SOs and play only with others on SOs is that you rely more on each other.  The main problem we face is not having enough people doing it to really get that old balance back.  To see if the game really is "balanced around SOs" like people keep saying it is.

I should point out that after much sound and fury from a vocal forum minority, a much larger and better-supported MMO got a "classic" server.  It took less than a year for the nostalgia to be crushed by just how objectively AWFUL said game was back then, and the population dropped like a rock.

Edited by Black Zot
  • Haha 1