The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

No Fun Builds?

Cyrickain13

1 hour ago, DougGraves said:

ice/time controller

You turn on Arctic Air from ice and Time Juncture from time.  You can also drop ice slick from ice and distortion field from time.

The enemies can barely move or act and spend their time just slipping and falling.  But you have no END to use for anything else and just slowly plink away at them.

It is a no fun build

Pfft, my Ice/Time didn’t even need Ageless.

I'm in debate if my FireMelee/Rad scrapper is fun. I love her concept, but am not entirely sure if this was a good pairing, not good for this AT, or what.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

On 8/15/2021 at 11:33 PM, Cyrickain13 said:

Hey all long time CoH player. Looking for any builds that anyone has played that has not seemed enjoyable or extremely hard. I will be able to level any build but want to see if anyone has any challenging builds out there?

IE: I have a Broad Sword - Shield Scrapper that I am not particualrly fond of. 

Well...have you considered relying solely on the rng to slot your character, avoiding the use of merits and the AH? That will make even the best of AT/powerset combos weep uncontrollably. 
But, thinking back, my reliance on set bonus IOs has made most characters fairly simple to play. But there was a poison/ice defender that I deleted at level 11; it was horrible. Granted, I only solo'd with it, but it was not enjoyable. The DPS was ...well, instead of DPS, I had to go with DPH, because there wasn't enough damage to make the per second part of the stat count. Surviving for even a minute was difficult at +1. 

That and dominators. I did manage to enjoy a grav/earth dom, and an earth/earth dom - and am trying to play a plant/earth, but my experience with mind/psi dom was just brutal. I swore off of them, and it took me a year to give myself permission to retry the AT. Could be a playstyle thing, tho. I much prefer ranged characters. 

A fire scrapper will test your patience, too. Nice dps, but there's no taunt aura; you have to waste a power on provoke, and it's got a stupid animation. So, you spend some time chasing the odd mob down, unless you've worked in the new teleport pool. And even then, the fact that you have to waste a power pool on that is annoying because you can only have 4 power pools. 

18 hours ago, DougGraves said:

ice/time controller

You turn on Arctic Air from ice and Time Juncture from time.  You can also drop ice slick from ice and distortion field from time.

The enemies can barely move or act and spend their time just slipping and falling.  But you have no END to use for anything else and just slowly plink away at them.

It is a no fun build

I can imagine.  I ran an Ice/Sonic Resonance controller.  Teaming was fine, good even.  But solo this was pre Inherent Fitness and good lord did it destroy its end bar trying to kill anything.  3 even con minions was a challenge to defeat as my end bar disappeared tickling them to death.

Edited by Doomguide2005

16 hours ago, arcane said:

Pfft, my Ice/Time didn’t even need Ageless.

I'd love to try Ice/Sonic again with all the changes to the game since I ran it on Live.  Thinking it would be far less painful solo particularly on the blue bar.  Things missing --> Inherent Fitness, don't recall if sets were around but don't recall slotting the Miracle etc., but that's likely just because I barely made it past 20th.  Ditto for getting the accolades.

32 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

I'd love to try Ice/Sonic again with all the changes to the game since I ran it on Live.  Thinking it would be far less painful solo particularly on the blue bar.  Things missing --> Inherent Fitness, don't recall if sets were around but don't recall slotting the Miracle etc., but that's likely just because I barely made it past 20th.  Ditto for getting the accolades.

My Grav/Sonic/Sorcery needed both Cardiac AND Ageless (excessive) to feel ok about running 4 pricy ally toggles on top of the rest, but ultimately Incarnates will render endurance a non-issue on any character. Characters with multiple damage auras, Storm MM’s, any character. So there’s just no reason besides exemplaring for that to be a fun killer anymore.

Edited by arcane

On 8/16/2021 at 12:11 PM, Uun said:

Dual Pistols/Ninja Training Blaster - not hard or outright bad, just decidedly "meh". I took it to 50, but didn't pursue incarnates.

I quite enjoy mine, thematically, but it's not breaking any records in the synergy department.

Who run Bartertown?

For a challenge, I'm running a thugs/thermal mastermind with no pets. It's a challenge all right.

Group I play with has also been running "Iron" toons, where a KO means you delete your character and start over (at least pre-50). It adds some legit fear to the game 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ninja/Trick Arrow Mastermind.

I had one on live, because I thought it would be fun to be an archer ninja commanding other ninjas.

It's incredibly painful and slow to level. No heal, no real boosts to keep your ultra-squishy pets alive, they just get roflstomped while you try and desperately mitigate things with your arrows.

So, I wouldn't call this bad, cause I actually tend to have a good time playing it, but Mercs Trick Arrow MM. It's best played chaotically in my opinion which is usually a very bad thing to do on a Mastermind. If the pets die? They die. Whip the phone back out and call in more. With Procs shoved into arrows you'll likely be the major damage source of your little army. This isn't my build, though I did make modifications to it. The old one is probably better but I saved over my copy of it. ( I wanna say the old one had flash arrow in place of burst. Which is probably smarter but I had a theme I wanted to roll with that needed an assault rifle)

I really wanna credit the original build maker but unfortunely I can't find their post. I REALLY had a good time leveling this toon. I think playing this without the damage procs could be a challenge however.

EDIT!- Two other warnings 1. The pets like to knock stuff out of your debuff patches. embrace the chaos  2. EMP arrow is just a bad Faraday cage at the moment. Well, not bad, but it doesn't actually do anything to enemies and with the long cooldown on it you won't be able to move the EMP point conveniently. Still, can have uses vs AVs.

My Version of the build: 

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.5.9
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Mastermind
Primary Power Set: Mercenaries
Secondary Power Set: Trick Arrow
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Soldiers -- SprCmmoft-Rchg/PetAoEDef(A), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg(3), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), TchofLadG-%Dam(5), AchHee-ResDeb%(7)
Level 1: Entangling Arrow -- EnfOpr-Acc/EndRdx(A), EnfOpr-EndRdx/Immob(7), TraoftheH-Dam%(9), ImpSwf-Dam%(50)
Level 2: Burst -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11)
Level 4: Glue Arrow -- ImpSwf-Dam%(A), Slow-I(17), Slow-I(17)
Level 6: Equip Mercenary -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Maneuvers -- RedFrt-EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(19), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(19), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(21), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(21), RedFrt-Def(23)
Level 10: Ice Arrow -- Lck-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(A), Lck-%Hold(23), ImpSwf-Dam%(25), NrnSht-Dam%(25), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(27), UnbCns-Dam%(27)
Level 12: Spec Ops -- EdcoftheM-PetDef(A), CaltoArm-+Def(Pets)(29), HO:Nucle(29), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprMarofS-Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprMarofS-Acc/EndRdx(31)
Level 14: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Poison Gas Arrow -- LthRps-Acc/EndRdx(A)
Level 18: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(33), StdPrt-ResKB(33)
Level 20: Acid Arrow -- Ann-ResDeb%(A), PstBls-Dam%(33), JvlVll-Dam%(34), ShlBrk-%Dam(34), TchofLadG-%Dam(34), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(36)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), LucoftheG-Def(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 24: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(37), Rct-ResDam%(37)
Level 26: Commando -- ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(A), SvrRgh-PetResDam(39), HO:Nucle(39), SprMarofS-Dmg(39), SprMarofS-EndRdx/+Resist/+Regen(40), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg(40)
Level 28: Disruption Arrow -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 32: Tactical Upgrade -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 35: Oil Slick Arrow -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(43), TmpRdn-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(43)
Level 38: EMP Arrow -- Lck-%Hold(A), Lck-Acc/Hold(43), Lck-Acc/Rchg(45), Lck-Rchg/Hold(45), Lck-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(45), Lck-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(46)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(46), LucoftheG-Def(48), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 44: Web Envelope -- GrvAnc-Hold%(A), GrvAnc-Immob/EndRdx(46), DblAct-Stun%(50)
Level 47: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A), HO:Cyto(48)
Level 49: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 1: Supremacy 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(13), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(13)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(15), PwrTrns-+Heal(15)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 1: Soldier 
Level 26: Commando 
Level 1: Medic 
Level 12: Spec Ops 
------------

Edited by Botzoman
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/17/2021 at 4:59 PM, Krimson said:

I have an AR/Ninja Blaster that is fun to play but flawed. For one, I originally took Munitions which really is not worth it. Last night I started changing the build, so I should have something substantially more survivable without sacrificing DPS. 

I just started one of those and was looking at Munitions, but I've never taken it before, so this would have been an experiment for me, if nothing else.  What didn't work for you?

I'd also be interested to hear what you end up swapping it out for!

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

8 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I didn't mind the set but the Auto armor wasn't really feeling that effective. The grenade was great. I loved the Long Range Missile but the thing could be interrupted if you looked at an NPC wrong, and it was extremely difficult to use it effectively in a team situation, particularly those where the mob is dead before the animation is finished. I am swapping it out for Mace Mastery, but only taking the Scorpion Shield, and then I think I added Assault and Maneuvers. 

That all makes perfect sense, thanks!

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝