Plants..whats viable secondary?

The_Warpact

For me one of the main considerations here is the ability to do good AoE damage after Seeds to get defeat credit for the mobs that are defeating themselves.  Do you want them to defeat each other faster?  Rad -def debuffs will improve their chances to hit one another.  You might get a fraction less rewards.  Want them to defeat each other slower so you can do proportionally more damage?  Ice does decent AoE and will slow down their attack rate.  I suppose you could throw Dark in here but it does not have good AoE IMO.

Savage is a strong secondary and a good pairing with Plant as well.  Mine is Plant/Ice and I love it.  If I were going to make another Plant/ Dom I'd probably go with either /Savage or /Psi.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, carroto said:

For me one of the main considerations here is the ability to do good AoE damage after Seeds to get defeat credit for the mobs that are defeating themselves.  Do you want them to defeat each other faster?  Rad -def debuffs will improve their chances to hit one another.  You might get a fraction less rewards.  Want them to defeat each other slower so you can do proportionally more damage?  Ice does decent AoE and will slow down their attack rate.  I suppose you could throw Dark in here but it does not have good AoE IMO.

Savage is a strong secondary and a good pairing with Plant as well.  Mine is Plant/Ice and I love it.  If I were going to make another Plant/ Dom I'd probably go with either /Savage or /Psi.

I wold recommend something with decent AoEs -  Thorns and Dark assault. 

I don't know how you can say Dark does not have good AoE.  
Engulfing Darkness is as good as any AoE available to Dominators, and the area is huge. 

It's one of my main weapons to clear maps.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Fire will be a staple as you can proc out the damage aura. Another vote for /rad as you can slot in -res due to the -def debuff and Atom Smasher does a bunch of damage.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

2 hours ago, Voltak said:

I don't know how you can say Dark does not have good AoE.  
Engulfing Darkness is as good as any AoE available to Dominators, and the area is huge. 

Because it has a long recharge and if you have a second AoE you can use while it's recharging, you'll do a lot more damage.  I agree it's a great PBAoE power.  If you don't like cones then the set compares decently with others.  You might want to look at /Energy, because it has a mechanic that allows you to use its PBAoE twice in a row.

But if you also use the cone in a set that has one, then /Dark falls way behind.  The cone of Night Fall is so narrow that you have to pull back to its max range to get mobs in the widest part of the cone if you want to have your best chance of getting them.  If you use Seeds, then back up for NF, then move in for ED, that time spent repositioning is time you're not doing damage.  If you enjoy that play style have at it.

In my opinion Night Fall is inferior to other cones, and it knocks /Dark down a peg in my personal rankings for AoE.  That doesn't mean it's a bad set nor that you or anyone else shouldn't play it.

59 minutes ago, carroto said:

Because it has a long recharge and if you have a second AoE you can use while it's recharging, you'll do a lot more damage.  I agree it's a great PBAoE power.  If you don't like cones then the set compares decently with others.  You might want to look at /Energy, because it has a mechanic that allows you to use its PBAoE twice in a row.

But if you also use the cone in a set that has one, then /Dark falls way behind.  The cone of Night Fall is so narrow that you have to pull back to its max range to get mobs in the widest part of the cone if you want to have your best chance of getting them.  If you use Seeds, then back up for NF, then move in for ED, that time spent repositioning is time you're not doing damage.  If you enjoy that play style have at it.

In my opinion Night Fall is inferior to other cones, and it knocks /Dark down a peg in my personal rankings for AoE.  That doesn't mean it's a bad set nor that you or anyone else shouldn't play it.

I have played dark assault extensively and done many things, from easy to extremely difficult.  The AoE of dark assault is great and there is no problem at all with recharge. 

Watch the video.  After you watch it, tell me if there's any problem with the recharge of engulfing darkness. 

You are also contradicting yourself 

This is you

1. "... Dark in here but it does not have good AoE IMO."

2. " I agree it's a great PBAoE power"

As someone who has played it and used it to clear mobs in groups, it is indeed a great AoE power just like you said.  PBAoE is still AOE.  

Watch the vide, please, it's vs lvl 54s and the power is exactly as YOU SAID -  a great power. 

So dark has two AoEs, one is a cone and one is a PBAoE.  

• Thumbs Up 1

They likely mean Consume but it's a clicky, if it's anything like Soul Mastery's Dark Consumption then yes it procs very well.

I made my /Rad into a ST machine with all those achilles procs in the attacks along with Energy Transfer, she hits real hard, but it's more of a singularly focused character.  

Not sure I'd go with /Rad.  It's a very slow animating set.  It hits hard but it's more ST focused and slow.  Likely wouldn't pair well with Plant.  I'd look for something else, Fire is always a good fallback, when in doubt go Fire.   Also, I wouldn't expect much aoe from Energy, Whirling Hands is meh.   If you go Soul Mastery you can pull lots of great aoe from that pool so your Secondary can be adaptable to what you might like.  

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Voltak said:

What damage aura are you talking about in Fire Assault ?

Help me out, please 

I blame not playing the set in a decade plus. I also swore it had Fireball before looking at it today. Damage auras have long DoT times on them so maybe Combustion's long DoT also led me to think it was a damage aura as well. 

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

/Energy

Solid single target, I cant remember if Total Focus holds or stuns but its effected by Domination and knocked out bosses

PowerUp for longer holds/confuse/extra damage

Ok AoE at a reasonable level

Knockback from that one Twirly Blast Thingy is annoying but nothing a KB>KD didnt fix

Only regret is that I personally didnt have enough slots to procup tentacles

• 2 weeks later
  • 3 weeks later

I have had some fun with my Plant/Thorn/Psi Dominator, mostly because of the excellent synergy between Plant/Psi's Confuse and all the -Speed and AoE out of Thorns.  It's not perfect (no self heal, chasing perma-dom and endurance/recovery leaves some defense/damage on the table) but there's some beautiful chaos to be had there.  It's not unusual to have an entire floor's worth of mobs fighting each other in one 25' circle, getting beaten to death by their friends and some Creepers.  

• Thumbs Up 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

• 1 month later

Gonna swoop in and suggest the - possibly obvious - plant/psi/ice. Permadom'd from 22 with soft s/l and 32%ish on ranged (before incarnate), can farm (s/l only)/ normal content fine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

A lot of it is playstyle and Style.  There are a lot of viable choices.  Suggest trying several different toons to get a feel.

I tried out several AT's and ended up doing a final build using Plant/Savage/Ice.  Savage does decent damage.  It has Builder and Consumer powers kinda like Water Blast.  This mechanic is easy to use and you don't need all of the Builder powers.  It's more melee oriented but has a Teleport and has several ways to mostly stay out of melee.   You need to study the powers and plan for a damage rotation. 

• Thumbs Up 1

May be worth adding that Plant does enough damage to be viable on a Controller and still deal pretty serious hurt. Storm, Poison, Kinetics and Trick Arrow and a few other sets all perform monstrously well with Plant Control, if that's the direction you'd prefer. Plant is an S-Tier set on either archetype.

• Thumbs Up 2

Plant/Psi maybe.  I have 2 dogs with Psi melee, one high build and 1 cheap, both are perma Dom.  The high end dark/psi can fear, immobilize, (couple of procs in them), fly in, drain to get 13 end / 120hp a sec hp regen, than spam Psychic Wail (forget the name, between the short PBAOE and the long recharge nuke).

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer