Windows 11 Verdict

KC4800

First computer game I ever bought was the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

For my c-64.

Good times.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

• 1 year later

Windows 11 does offer a more modern and visually appealing interface, along with potential performance improvements, but it's crucial to consider game and launcher compatibility. Not all games and software might be fully optimized for Windows 11 yet. Before making the switch, it's a good idea to check with the game developers and the specific launchers you mentioned to see if they officially support Windows 11 or if there have been any reported issues.

And if you ever decide to go with Windows 10, check out windows 10 pro key. It's always useful to have alternatives.

Edited by Norkure

48 minutes ago, Norkure said:

Windows 11 does offer a more modern and visually appealing interface, along with potential performance improvements, but it's crucial to consider game and launcher compatibility. Not all games and software might be fully optimized for Windows 11 yet.

Essentially Windows 11 offers nothing but a semi-functional interface upgrade.
If you are running any sort of even remotely customized UI (including such basic things as "Taskbar on top" and the like, Windows 11 just CANNOT DO THAT.  You'll require UI hacks with 3rd party tools to do it.
Using NVSurround and other screen fusion is an exercise in self-inflicted pain.

Edited by Hyperstrike
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Damn, I like having my task bar up top.  >:/

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

15 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Damn, I like having my task bar up top.  >:/

Same, there are apps that do that (I think?), but I've not migrated to it beyond just messing around. Now it does have that sorta cool Android app thing, but unless the app you want is old AF or a game (everything comes from the AMZ app store?), then it's probably useless to you. Personally, I use it to load up that old Fallout FM app for when I'm toying around. It has some other things that you used to need 3rd party apps for as well, but there's as much up as down I guess.

• Like 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On 2/3/2022 at 5:48 PM, DoctorDitko said:

First computer game I ever bought was the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

For my c-64.

Good times.

Heh, back then I was a Pinball Wizard  (not really) 😛

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

48 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

Same, there are apps that do that (I think?), but I've not migrated to it beyond just messing around. Now it does have that sorta cool Android app thing, but unless the app you want is old AF or a game (everything comes from the AMZ app store?), then it's probably useless to you. Personally, I use it to load up that old Fallout FM app for when I'm toying around. It has some other things that you used to need 3rd party apps for as well, but there's as much up as down I guess.

There are things like Start11 that do.
Just be aware that it generally requires restarting Windows Explorer to make it work right.
AFTER EVERY REBOOT.

I prefer to have my taskbars on the left hand side, vertically. With landscape monitors, horizontal screen real estate is plentiful, while vertical is rare and precious.

My new work PC came with Winders 11. Which I promptly moved to the hard drive (Thanks, Clonezilla!) and installed Fedora* to the SSD. I pretty much only boot W11 for monthly patching, but the inability to move the taskbar to the left side irks me every time. I would have just deleted Winders entirely, but then Microsoft would have won by getting paid for a license that was wasted.

And I might want to play a game at work sometime, after all.

* Because I'm a Red Hat CentOS Rocky Linux admin.

Edited by DoctorDitko

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

20 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Worse.

At least ME more or less worked (ish).

Hey, at least it's not running the (new at the time) system restore, eating up all your disk space. 😛

10 hours ago, Snarky said:

The verdict is guilty. The punishment is a slow and painful death!

tickling on Tumblr

This is the appropriate kind of foot fetish...unless you're on the receiving end. 😛

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 3:17 PM, Hyperstrike said:

Worse.

At least ME more or less worked (ish).

Yeah, but is Windows 11 worse than Windows VISTA?

• Haha 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

On 10/23/2023 at 11:44 PM, PeregrineFalcon said:

Yeah, but is Windows 11 worse than Windows VISTA?

The main problem with Vista was that it was a massive change in UI.

Win8 did it worse.  And Server 2012 (WHO THE 8LEEEEEP18 PUTS A HALF-ASS TABLET INTERFACE ON A SERVER?) still worse.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hyperstrike said:

The main problem with Vista was that it was a massive change in UI.

Win8 did it worse.  And Server 2012 (WHO THE 8LEEEEEP18 PUTS A HALF-ASS TABLET INTERFACE ON A SERVER?) still worse.

*Quietly changes HS's command line interpreter to PC DOS v1*

• Haha 1