Windows 11 Verdict

KC4800

Yes or No? Compatible with game and Tequila launcher? HC launcher?

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

I'm usually pretty heat-seeking, but I still haven't seen any upsides (for me) to 11.

• Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

29 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

I'm usually pretty heat-seeking, but I still haven't seen any upsides (for me) to 11.

How about that within a year or so it will be the only consistently supported OS?

I'd be much more interested in a list of what might be hard downsides. What might trip up those of us who don't have the luxury of hacking along in an increasingly obsolete OS with ever-eroding support for high-end, $$$-relevant apps?

(The short answer is that I haven't seen any, other the reduction of max-end game performance due to virtualization. I'll happily trade greatly increased malware management and security for 20% of a theoretical FPS rate.)

• Thumbs Down 2

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

7 hours ago, KC4800 said:

Yes or No? Compatible with game and Tequila launcher? HC launcher?

Waited for the first patch so it wouldn't have the scheduler/performance issue with AMD CPUs. I updated one PC (my laptop) to it. The game works and runs fine with it. It's not a major change as far as the OS and software's concerned. I didn't need to reinstall anything for it to work.

Usage wise... eh. I gave the somewhat revamped start menu as much time as I could, then dropped Start11 on it for a less annoying menu. I've got a couple of other systems that could run it, but I'm waiting a bit. Honestly, as far as everyday use is concerned, it feels like they just slapped a new coat of paint on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I'm running the Edu version of 21H1, and as far as MS knows, I'm still under 13 years old, (to minimize data collection).

I may be a corner case, but last I heard it was supported 'till fall of 2025.

• Like 1

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I don't have 1st hand experience with Windows 11, but I have worked with a couple people who have it (I do Tech Support)

It seems they have this native mode that only allows you to get software from their store. It blocks downloads from other locations.  I may be wrong about this, but it was at the heart of the issues I saw.  It can be turned off, which is a pain to do.  I can see that it might be an upside for PC noobs, but if you are an experienced user, this mode is worthless.  For example, my company uses Chrome - We couldn't find it on their site (it might be there, but I didn't see it).

For my 2 cents, I'm waiting for at least 1 update, probably 2 or 3, to see how it works for others.

I also realize that eventually I will be forced to upgrade (if I continue to use Windows).

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Rishidian said:

It seems they have this native mode that only allows you to get software from their store.

MS products always have marketing-driven crap loaded into the front end, the defaults, the toolbars etc. It amazes me how many people bitch loud and long about such things when I can't think of a one that can't be removed, disabled or bypassed in about five minutes. I consider it standard to install, for example, a new MS Office setup and spent a half hour 'de-marketing' it into a useful set of tools. Annoying perhaps, but everything comes with some default that most users will have to/want to customize.

As for the endless annoyance of the ever-changing Start menu/panel/pane/system... I just don't use it. End of problem.

(And if you want a locked, sealed, guarded and downright snotty 'walled garden,' well... 😛  )

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

1 hour ago, Shenanigunner said:

I can't think of a one that can't be removed, disabled or bypassed in about five minutes.

Another good reason to wait, for me at least.

Give the community at large a few years to figure out what all the new stuff does, and how to make it stop!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

VERY basic testing when it was in Beta, I found it to run well as an OS on (pretty old) intel hardware. There are times that something spikes the CPU, but I've yet to have it feel any worse than Win10 so far. I roamed around Atlas a bit and didn't notice anything drastically different than any other time when running Win7/Win10 on the same hardware. Again, not a true test, but I do think that after some of the UI mods I plan on using (and getting truly compatible hardware) I'll likely switch to it.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

2 hours ago, Rishidian said:

It seems they have this native mode that only allows you to get software from their store.

By default, even Win10 sets "Install from store only", but that's actually pretty easy to change (they give you a prompt even when trying). You just have to change it to something else like "Ask Always" or "Allow always". I've not had to do that in my testing though, so I'm not sure where the setting is off hand for Win11.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

26 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Another good reason to wait, for me at least.

Give the community at large a few years to figure out what all the new stuff does, and how to make it stop!

I really don't want to be in the position of defending MS, but very few of these unwanted features need patches or hacker knowledge... just following through to MS's own off button.

The only really nasty, persistent, ha-ha-catch-me bit of this kind was the banner telling users that Office 2010 was EOL. Not only was it embedded in DLL code, but MS apparently kept moving it around so that hacks could not remove it for long.

But for everything else... It's like buying a car and complaining because the seat is too close to the steering wheel, the A/C is set too high and the radio is tuned to a country station.

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

I may be a corner case, but last I heard it was supported 'till fall of 2025.

Yes, October 14, 2025 to be exact.  So just under 4 years, or a bachelor's degree in years, if you want to think of it that way.  No need to rush into Windows 11.

In my not-so-humble opinion.  With ONE caveat, I would wait for AT LEAST the SECOND (I'm conservative, so I'd wait for the third) quarterly patch for Win11 before seriously considering it anything even CLOSE to stable.

Might it work fine BEFORE then?  Maybe.
Do I TRUST Microsoft?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!  Are you nuts?

Now, I mentioned ONE caveat.
And this caveat is for new-built systems.
If you're looking to build or buy a new system with an Intel 12th-gen processor, go Win11.
With the new segmented core architecture, you benefit from the Win11 process scheduler FAR more than you would Win10.
However, if you're on any Intel generation PRIOR to 12th-gen, or are running AMD, stick with Win10 as I advised earlier.
You gain precisely NOTHING.  And the Win11 scheduler currently is NOT optimized for the fairly powerful AMD CPUs.

• Like 3

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

17 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

'd be much more interested in a list of what might be hard downsides. What might trip up those of us who don't have the luxury of hacking along in an increasingly obsolete OS with ever-eroding support for high-end, $$$-relevant apps?

When windows 10 came out, Microsoft and Toshiba said my computer was compatible for Windows 10, so I upgraded and my system totally crashed 3 or more after having Window 10 installed for less than a week in most cases.

After going through the pain-in-the-butt re-installs of windows 8 to 8.1 to Windows 10 all those times, suddenly Microsoft and Toshiba say my computer isn't compatible with Windows 10.

So I have windows 8.1 installed at that point, but my hard drive is screwed.

So I have to change the hard drive out (I put a second one in) and go through the whole process of reinstalling Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 again.

And, after all that, Windows 10 apparently damaged my laptop graphics card. It would no longer play games that it used to play.

It will load up and try to run City of Heroes and then die.

Yep, Windows 10 damaged my computer. Any compensation from Microsoft or Toshiba ... forgetaboutit.

So yeah, I wouldn't be rushing to install Windows 11 on a machine that had Windows 10 running on it.

I fact both my Windows 10 computers are saying that they are incompatible with Windows 11.

I'm in no rush to buy a new computer simply to have the new operating system. But I'm not going to move to Windows 11 until I buy a new computer that where Windows 11 is native.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

10 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I’m not even sure what this means, but heck yeah that’s what I want!

Right over there. All the coddling, curation and preselection you could wish for.

6 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I fact both my Windows 10 computers are saying that they are incompatible with Windows 11.

... which may be an issue of it considering hardware as "too old," or just not having TPM enabled in the bios, because apparently that's a thing now.  (And you can get around both, apparently. I'm not bothering.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

Would be nice if the people held them to task. Remember when they said that Windows 10 would be the last Windows? I for one am tired of being told that something will be the last, just for them to keep on going.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Would be nice if the people held them to task. Remember when they said that Windows 10 would be the last Windows? I for one am tired of being told that something will be the last, just for them to keep on going.

I don't know of anyone who actually believed that. Or that they'd do more than "technically" hold true, while renaming it to ... I don't know, Microsoft DoorOS 1.0 afterward.

Sounds like a hard no to me, thanks for the inputs. Waiting here.

• Like 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

9 hours ago, Greycat said:

I don't know of anyone who actually believed that. Or that they'd do more than "technically" hold true, while renaming it to ... I don't know, Microsoft DoorOS 1.0 afterward.

They did the same thing with DvD's, they said it would be the last thing movies would be played on. It was how they got us to let go of all our VHS collections. Next thing you know, not long after, here comes BlueRay. Sigh...maybe I am just getting old, but it sure is getting very tiring trying to keep up with technology.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

They did the same thing with DvD's, they said it would be the last thing movies would be played on. It was how they got us to let go of all our VHS collections. Next thing you know, not long after, here comes BlueRay. Sigh...maybe I am just getting old, but it sure is getting very tiring trying to keep up with technology.

"Guess I'll have to buy the White Album again."

Since nearly all media has gone wholly digital, without any physical media, the hard-tech changes are likely at an end. (The thing to fear now is not software/codec/etc. changes, but such changes that pull freely available access behind hard paywalls. It's already happening on streaming.)

(And if the market had been smart enough to choose HD-DVD instead of Blu-Ray... well...)

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

And besides... I still have about 100 DVDs even though I give public seminars on streaming. 😄

They still work just fine. And there will be something of a resurgence with 4K Blu-Rays, since uncompressed bandwidth is prohibitive.

• Thumbs Up 1