Game's Development

Weegyboard

Is the game still in active dev by the players? i've been searching through the patchnotes and such and it seems like a yes, but i want to ask the more veteran members of the community. the game's really catching my interest but i don't want to get invested in a revival thats not going to be updated in a few months. so yeah. just wondering if the games still having content added onto it/a roadmap is around to see whats in stock for us. cheers!

• Like 1

You might want to have a look at the patch notes forum under announcements. That can give you an idea of the changes Homecoming have made and continue to make to the game. 

They have introduced new story arcs and a new strike force. However they are volunteers who work on this around their own day jobs, so you have to be realistic about what you can expect. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

There has been a continuous stream of updates by the Homecoming team since the game was relaunched in the 2 1/2 years since it's been relaunched.  Short of legal action by NCSoft shutting the game down, or the burn-out of the all volunteer development team, neither of which seems imminent right now, I'd trust for additional updates to come.

• Like 3

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

^This

My computer died and owing to a variety of real life issues such as Covid-19 haven't been able to log in game in 18 months or so.  In that time period I've missed 2 major updates (i26 and i27) as well as several other patches.  Frankly I'm amazed an all volunteer staff has managed what they have and the quality overall the community sees in their work.  I'm confident it'll be there (and more) even if it takes another several months for me to get back into the game.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Weegyboard said:

and how much story content i should expect to find ingame! forgot to mention that. 

If you don't blow off the first 50 levels there is tons of content.

Not enough game content for you?

use the AE and make your own in-game content for yourself and others ... or just play other people's AE missions.

1 hour ago, Weegyboard said:

the game's really catching my interest but i don't want to get invested in a revival thats not going to be updated in a few months

Uh, it took months for updates to happen before the sunset ... with paid DEVs.

Updating doesn't happen every month in most games.

Yeah, it's going to be a couple of months before another set of big updates.

I don't want to be rude, but you seem to be a bit of a "flash in the pan" player.

You are going to ... oh, look over there!

Something shiny. You like shiny, don't you?

You better go hurry and check out that shiny thing!

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I read the post more like he didnt want to get involved if the dev team is gonna quit in a few months,  not that if it takes a few months for an update.  Text is so poor for communication so ill reply as if its the former.

The team has been working on moving the game forward for several years now and just a few days ago released another major content update.  Major updates tend to have a slightly longer period of time between them over paid games but the team takes time to release tested and polished content.  They are a small and volunteer team so if course there are the occasional bugs that slip through.

There is a huge amount of content in the game already but it requires reading the mission dialogue.  Even at maximum level,  its possible to replay most of the content from lower levels and for the very few things that arent (a few alignment missions i believe) you can team with someone who is playing it.  And if you ever manage to finish all the content in the game then you havent because players can create missions too and there are some with even better writing then the main game.  There are literally thousands of player created missions with more added every day.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Devs have already mentioned Page 4 if not 5 so I don't expect work to stop for some time. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

2 hours ago, Weegyboard said:

and how much story content i should expect to find ingame! forgot to mention that. 

I've been playing since I5 on Live many many years ago and I still have yet to play all the content. Hell there is stuff in this game that I didn't even know about.

• Like 2

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

10 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

I've been playing since I5 on Live many many years ago and I still have yet to play all the content. Hell there is stuff in this game that I didn't even know about.

I found out about the Vanguard Sword this past weekend. Their sorcerers were a rude awakening.

• Haha 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

3 hours ago, Weegyboard said:

Is the game still in active dev by the players?

As this forum's hypercritical jerk who frequently gets blasted (and not always without merit) for criticizing the developers, let me just say: yes. This game is very much in active development. In fact, the Homecoming developers have been adding more bug fixes and quality of life up updates to this game that was often the case on the retail servers. Plus they're adding new power sets and actual new mission content.

Welcome home, Weegyboard! May you enjoy many many hours in Paragon City.

• Like 3

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 hour ago, Zhym said:

This has to be a troll post, right?  I mean Issue 27 Page 3 dropped just last week.  And OP wants to know if the game is still in active development. :classic_laugh: 

Short answer: Yes.  Yes, it is.  And welcome home.

Just think what we all thought the day before it was announced CoH was closing down. This situation is different, but the devs behind this are volunteers on a pirated piece of software. Lets not get too cocky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

Just think what we all thought the day before it was announced CoH was closing down. This situation is different, but the devs behind this are volunteers on a pirated piece of software. Lets not get too cocky.

That's the answer to a different question though.  "Will Homecoming be around for a while?"  Who knows?  It's been open to the public for over two years now and seems to be going strong, but a lot can happen.  All the devs could get bored and wander off.  The players could get bored and stop donating (and playing).  The rights holders to CoX could decide they want to shut the server down.  And yes, those of us who were there for the shutdown know that nothing is certain.

But "Is the game still in active dev?"  The answer to that is obvious.   

Edited by Zhym
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheZag said:

I read the post more like he didnt want to get involved if the dev team is gonna quit in a few months,  not that if it takes a few months for an update.  Text is so poor for communication so ill reply as if its the former.

The team has been working on moving the game forward for several years now and just a few days ago released another major content update.  Major updates tend to have a slightly longer period of time between them over paid games but the team takes time to release tested and polished content.  They are a small and volunteer team so if course there are the occasional bugs that slip through.

There is a huge amount of content in the game already but it requires reading the mission dialogue.  Even at maximum level,  its possible to replay most of the content from lower levels and for the very few things that arent (a few alignment missions i believe) you can team with someone who is playing it.  And if you ever manage to finish all the content in the game then you havent because players can create missions too and there are some with even better writing then the main game.  There are literally thousands of player created missions with more added every day.

This is exactly what i meant, i don't mind longs periods between updates, i just want to know i'm not waiting for nothing, or get invested in a storylines thats been started then never finished. thank you for the response!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Hehe, yeah and they have the same To Hit buff (+30%) as the new Relentless challenge settings.  Minus the rest of the buffs fortunately 🤫

I did notice the constant stream of damage coming my way. The first was the lack of recharge on my powers and then end to use them. First fight the layout forced me to take on more than one mob. Still haven't died to them, but lots of running away and rethinking how to handle them has happened.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

Originally pirated but now partially tolerated by the owner of the game IP, let's not forget the talks between the HC team and NCSoft, and things like the lift of the ban on streaming, the public intent of support from the players towards charity events, and even the redesigned logo and exclusive game client, Homecoming has the most solid foothold if we are ever going to be allowed to continue and develop, I would worry more if i was in one of the other servers.

Edited by Albion
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

2 hours ago, Albion said:

Originally pirated but now partially tolerated by the owner of the game IP, let's not forget the talks between the HC team and NCSoft, and things like the lift of the ban on streaming, the public intent of support from the players towards charity events, and even the redesigned logo and exclusive game client, Homecoming has the most solid foothold if we are ever going to be allowed to continue and develop, I would worry more if i was in one of the other servers.

Yes! See my signature!

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

3 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Yes! See my signature!

That was nice!, didn't saw it before. Thanks!

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.