Battle Royale

dtjunkie

So all your alts immediately find themselves transported to an area specifically designed for this scenario and for plot reasons have to fight to the death. Who is walking out of the fight alive and why?

For me, I think my lower than 50 alts all get wasted in the initial lore pet judgement spam fest. That leaves 24 lvl 50s fighting it out:

7 Tanks, 2 Scrappers, 1 Defender, 3 Controllers, 2 Blasters, 8 Brutes, and 1 Sentinel.

Much like a WWE Royal Rumble everyone turns on the big guy (in this case my nigh unkillable Stone/Ax Tank) and eliminates him first. Atom Slicer (Rad/BS Tank) and Atom Gunner (Beam Rifle / Atom Manipulation) are the same character (Atom keeps waking up in front of Ms. Liberty  at lvl 1 with at least one radiation powerset the second he dings 50), and so if they are in the same spot at the same time it creates a temporal paradox that erases both of them from existence.  I think things are really going to go bad for my endurance heavy alts, because my Electric Blast / Electric Armor Sentinel is like a AV level Sapper / Super Stunner and my Kinetics/Sonic Attack Defender brings that same pain with transference.  In fact I think the Controllers, Sentinel, and Defender team up to take out the Melee Toons, but in the process only the Sentinel and the Earth/TA controller make it out alive without getting critical'ed by the scrappers or a rage + fury + knockout blow one shotted. Unfortunately, as they stumble away from each other, readying themselves for the final confrontation, they fail to notice that the AR/DEV blaster has quietly setup a giant trip mine field.

General Zaroff (based on the same named character in the Most Dangerous Game - it's public domain!) gets the W.

Follow-up questions:

1. Same scenario but with the Freedom Phalanx

2. Same scenario but with Arachnos

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I've got too many tanks to pick a victor.  I do know most of my tanks would crush the fire farming and EM/EA brutes in my stable, however.  Snark, we should meet in the arena and see if an Inv/SS or a Stone/SS could hang with your DM/Inv Broot...  Might just come down to a draw, as neither would be killable and neither could dish out enough damage to matter...

• Haha 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

That actually sounds like a fun PvP scenario. Of my 117 lvl 50s, the stalkers start Assassin Striking the Squishies, and for some reason the scrappers are trying to go toe to toe with the tanks and brutes and just exchange blows (silly melee), while the 11 blasters team up and start spiking everyone else and then turn on each other targeting those without max HP, and great mobility. They whittle each other away over the course of a a couple of days of intense fighting and at the end as the dust clears there's only one survivor left standing....

My Ice/Plants Blaster "Kill Steal".

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guessing my Fort or Stalker. Fort has Confuse in ST and AoE form, AoE Hold, Psy damage, Hidden, and can fly. I don't have a level 50 Dom which could lock down any and everything, or a level 50 Tank, but again, that Fort is an issue.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

1 hour ago, PLVRIZR said:

I've got too many tanks to pick a victor.  I do know most of my tanks would crush the fire farming and EM/EA brutes in my stable, however.  Snark, we should meet in the arena and see if an Inv/SS or a Stone/SS could hang with your DM/Inv Broot...  Might just come down to a draw, as neither would be killable and neither could dish out enough damage to matter...

I never PvP (except on chessboards). And the rules are different for PvP. (I do not know them) but my logic is simple enough: Brutes are 80-90% as tough as Tanks but do a lot more damage.  Simple math equation there.  Of course things are never that simple 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I never PvP (except on chessboards). And the rules are different for PvP. (I do not know them) but my logic is simple enough: Brutes are 80-90% as tough as Tanks but do a lot more damage.  Simple math equation there.  Of course things are never that simple 

This assumes your target is willing to stand there letting the Brute to build Fury. A Tank could pop in and out to counter that and make it a stalemate as other characters hang out and beat on them from a distance. In PvP, Psy damage at range is a problem.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

3 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

In PvP, Psy damage at range is a problem.

My Psy/MC blaster has a build that is specifically built just to cheese out people, since not only is the damage a problem, but the -rech makes fighting them suck major beans. Especially since Burst of Speed is just ANOTHER combat teleport, so you can just NOT be places you dont want to be, and Inner WIll is literally just a Dominator Button for Blasters I can trigger whenever im under 50% of either of my bars. Theyre not like, a mega super top tier ubermensch but they ARE really fucking annoying to fight. Good luck ranging out 100ft base range, with yet more range enhancements.

But to answer OP, Hamidon. Hamidon wins. 

• Like 1

Resident certified baby

20 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

This assumes your target is willing to stand there letting the Brute to build Fury. A Tank could pop in and out to counter that and make it a stalemate as other characters hang out and beat on them from a distance. In PvP, Psy damage at range is a problem.

again, i dont understand PvP much but unless the tank superspeeds across the map a Brute can still keep attacking with cheesy inherent ranged attacks and epic ranged attacks, enough to build fury.  The Fury change back on live made getting and keeping Fury much less an issue for Brutes, but clipped off the extreme end of it that had them outdamaging Scrappers.  But yes, tactics would start to play.  

However I would like to point out that since the solution seems to be "The Tank needs to run from the Brute" the writing is on the wall....

42 minutes ago, Snarky said:

However I would like to point out that since the solution seems to be "The Tank needs to run from the Brute" the writing is on the wall....

I don't think either are honestly fighting each other unless they are the only ones remaining. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

I don't think it would be my melee characters, though I've some I've been playing since full-instance herding was still a thing in 2005.  The one thing I couldn't predict would be taunt, as I've not really done PvP here.  And there's the whole matter that its a battle royale and I've 6 variations on ice characters, not to mention other controller sets, enough to hold all melee while the range strikers do their thing as an opening move.

If I had to guess, it would boil down to my ill/storm controller, dark/dark corrupter, or even the fire/ice blaster (who has reached face-melting status lately), each of which is good at staying out of melee range, and has some sort of control power to lock down opponents while burning them down.

Huh... that was interesting, given that they are both PvE builds, neither was softcapped. But it seemed like once followup started landing, the sr/claws brute was doing better and might have had a chance to win. Also seemed like the sd/nrg was never going to land enough hits to get the job done through the sr's scaling resists.

On top of that, in a real fight, the sd/nrg would have dropped darkest night and been spamming ageless to keep her end up, while the sr/claws would have been cranking rebirth regen. Soooo yea... they would have fought until the heat death of the universe.

• Like 1

Having actually done a fair amount of PvP with melee classes:  Tanks aren't nearly as unkillable in PvP as they are in PvE, and they still do garbage ST damage, so in general I find that they tend to lose to the other melee classes.  Sometimes they draw, with neither side able to kill each other.  Exceptions I've seen have been Fiery Aura tanks and Rad Melee tanks that can abuse broken proc mechanics on burn and irradiated ground.

That said, my PvP is fairly scrubby, and things might be different among really serious PvPers.

But blasters own them all.

Edited by aethereal

47 minutes ago, aethereal said:

That said, my PvP is fairly scrubby, and things might be different among really serious PvPers.

Pretty sure I stopped with PvP after my ice/em tank got nerfed all to hell and back apart from helpin SG mates with badges. Been a LOT of changes since then.

3 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

That actually sounds like a fun PvP scenario. Of my 117 lvl 50s, the stalkers start Assassin Striking the Squishies, and for some reason the scrappers are trying to go toe to toe with the tanks and brutes and just exchange blows (silly melee), while the 11 blasters team up and start spiking everyone else and then turn on each other targeting those without max HP, and great mobility. They whittle each other away over the course of a a couple of days of intense fighting and at the end as the dust clears there's only one survivor left standing....

My Ice/Plants Blaster "Kill Steal".

Yes! My two scrappers would immediately do what they always do... run in and start wailing on the biggest baddest dude in the mob. Whereas my blaster is just gonna hang out, stealthed, in the back, waiting for just the right moment.

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

again, i dont understand PvP much but unless the tank superspeeds across the map...

I see Super Speed more in PvP than I do anywhere else. It's actually super obnoxious, since people have it even if they dont need it, because powers go off when youre close enough to execute them? So like... If im NOT a brute, say, Im a tanker, then zipping around with SS doesnt save you from my Jab. My Jab is clicked, you entered range of Jab, no amount of distance you put between us will STOP it from going off... It's like, really trying to min/max the benefits of regeneration effects, since if youre NOT next to me, you may be able to avoid any follow ups...

But if we're BOTH melees, and I dont bother chasing you, you STILL need to come BACK and fight me, and the benefit of the range you established with SS now benefits ME in the EXACT same way, except IM not spending resources on the toggle... what I think it is is that SS is probably the most obnoxious FX for a travel power, so you get the benefit of potentionally melting your opponents PC by stacking FX until they either lower their settings (useless against one such as I, who plays the game on minimum graphics as god intended) or they sacrifice their PC for that VITAL PvP win that'll FINALLY, at LONG LAST, unlock the secret "Play as Null the Gull" mode...

• Haha 1

Resident certified baby

10 hours ago, dtjunkie said:

Who is walking out of the fight alive and why?

All of them, except maybe whichever poor schmuck tried to make a buncha supers fight to the death when they didn't wanna.  Superheroes (and supervillains, really, dammit) are all about beatin' the odds.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Snarky said:

I agree with Snarky.

However .... I would love to put my Ice tanker to a friendly test.

She does have an endurance drain, 2 holds(1 ranged and 1 melee).

But I am not much of a PVP person, awful experience during Live

Edited by JasperStone
  • Thumbs Up 1

/e poofgone

Over here, if we were using the PvE rules. I suspect that it would come down to a cat-fight between Semnai (regen monster BS/Bio Brute) and Okuri (Well-nigh unhittable Night Widow), who would end up eventually wearing each other down in a battle of a million paper-cuts... 

At which point the ACTUAL winner (Kaikara/White Thorn, the KM/Bio Stalker with all the damage bonuses, who hits like a sack of bricks and would have been watching the entire mess from a safe distance, in Hide. waiting for an opportunity-) would pop in and absolutely flatten the battered survivor before they knew what hit them.

Because sometimes having a clever, if shifty, plan is the best super power. 

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Haha 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

19 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

I don't think either are honestly fighting each other unless they are the only ones remaining. 

Yep. If you’re targeting a tank or brute in a PvP free for all match, you’ve already lost. That’s what we call a complete waste of time.

• Haha 1

Most of my characters are at 40, and I can't think of any of them that can punch ten levels above their weight class to touch my 50s. So it's down to my five level 50s:

Cosmic Cow, Beam Rifle/Energy Manip Blaster

Tomb Spider, Bane Spider
Kilauea, Earth/Fire Dominator
Colmilla, Street Justice/Super Reflexes scrapper

Peyote Patrol, Spines/Fire Farm Brute.

Now, order starts to really matter for two particular reasons:

1) Peyote isn't really designed to exist outside of a fire farm. Like a deep-sea organism living in a volcanic vent on the seabed, she's too specialized for a general brawl like this. By sheer coincidence, there actually is one opponent spewing fire that she's got a winnable matchup with, Kilauea. 

2) Cosmic Cow is a hoverblaster with very good ranged defense. Tomb Spider has a long shot at using Web Cocoon to bring her down into mace range (and Peyote has an even longer shot with Impale), but Colmilla simply doesn't have a good counter to jetpack. Being mez vulnerable and susceptible to -fly, though, she's got real reason to be worried about Kilauea.

If Kilauea goes down, Cosmic Cow has a really good chance of running away with a victory, since she can focus Tomb/Peyote/Colmilla down from the skies.

So, the question becomes, what if that *doesn't* happen? If Kilauea realizes she needs to burn down Cosmic Cow, and either can get someone to screen for her or if someone senses weakness and targets Peyote all on their own, then CC and Peyote Patrol probably drop first. From there, Kilauea is fighting a pair of hard-to-hit, mez-resistant enemies that get up in melee range, and drops. It turns into basically a coinflip as to whether Tomb Spider or Colmilla prevail at this point; and I might give the edge to Tomb Spider due to having the stealth strike mechanics and placate on his side.

So, probably Cosmic Cow or Tomb Spider, but with some interesting kingmakers in the mix.

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

I only clicked this thread because I saw Crasical's icon and wanted to check to see if I was seeing it right (I was).  

But since I'm here.  Flaming Doom Monkey (Shield/MA tank) is going to easily be the last monkey standing... but I'm pretty sure the arena, the city, and a good portion of the county this showdown takes place in will be destroyed in the process.

• Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow