The Future...

Glacier Peak

Just like everybody who plays, I enjoy that the game is back (almost three years now!!). And I want to be clear that there is no rush to make things happen and I am happy with the state of the project. So the point of the post is that I am curious about what's next for the Homecoming community (not specifically content). Something like the updates we've received in the past about the state of the project / future direction.

Seeing as how its a volunteer project, I don't have any expectation that there would be an update from anyone any time soon, but I support long-term stability like most folks and these types of announcements are usually how that approach has been taken in the past on Homecoming.

Last major announcement was posted in April 2021:

On 4/27/2021 at 2:14 PM, Jimmy said:

The Future

And what's next for Homecoming? Well... here's a sneak peak of a few things we've got in the works...

[...]

And that's not all - there's plenty more that we're not quite ready to show off just yet.

• Thanks 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Here's what I believe will happen over the next year:

1. Challenge Mode will be proliferated to all Task Forces and many level 50 storyline missions.
  2. A major rework of Sentinels will make them not suck.
  3. Assault Rifle will have some 'fixes' applied, but will still suck.
  4. Mercenaries will be fixed and no longer suck.
  5. Scrappers will still not have Super Strength.
  6. Tankers will still not have Energy Aura.

Edited by PeregrineFalcon
Whoops!
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Personally, I'm hoping for some new story arcs. Maybe somewhere in the upper 30's to 40's. Leveling takes quite awhile on higher levels so you spend a bit of time there in that range. Hoping for more Praetoria too. Also would like a sentinel rework (hoping for more damage personally). 

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah that is interesting speculation. I'm more curious about the state of the project-type of update. Like "here's what we've accomplished/here's where we are headed." Though again, I have no expectation this type of announcement would be made any time soon. Only basing my post on past updates from the HC Team.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Just like everybody who plays, I enjoy that the game is back (almost three years now!!). And I want to be clear that there is no rush to make things happen and I am happy with the state of the project. So the point of the post is that I am curious about what's next for the Homecoming community (not specifically content). Something like the updates we've received in the past about the state of the project / future direction.

Seeing as how its a volunteer project, I don't have any expectation that there would be an update from anyone any time soon, but I support long-term stability like most folks and these types of announcements are usually how that approach has been taken in the past on Homecoming.

Last major announcement was posted in April 2021:

Do we have a community manager representative or whatever? if not, should we vote one?

• Haha 1

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

1 hour ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Here's what I believe will happen over the next year:

1. Challenge Mode will be proliferated to all Task Forces and many level 50 storyline missions.
  2. A major rework of Sentinels will make them not suck.
  3. Assault Rifle will have some 'fixes' applied, but will still suck.
  4. Mercenaries will be fixed and no longer suck.
  5. Scrappers will still not have Super Strength.
  6. Tankers will still not have Energy Aura.

7. Regen will get nerfed.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Marshal_General said:

7. Regen will get nerfed.

I never saw that one coming.   🙄

• Haha 4

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

A yearly update come April when be a good thing to start doing annually.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I think many of us have made some great suggestions over the years. But I am not sure what the Devs plan to do or make. I will be brutally honest and say I am not a huge fan of the direction in some areas.

This game is old. It went away (for most of us) and now it's back! Thanks to the HC team! This is a chance to make some new content and make some huge changes. We've loved and played this game for years and have great memories and so on. It seems like the current Dev team wants to continue in the same stylistic manner as the Live Devs. This is fine but I will say I am not loving it. It's a lot of stuff that's way too familiar.

I will say the Aeon SF shows us things can be different but we got hit with a lot of looks and characters that have been around...for a long time.

Please don't take this as a complaint. It's not. I wanted to provide feedback. Devs can't read our minds so I just hope they'll get really creative and, if need be, look at some of our ideas in the Suggestions forum. I understand they're the Devs and make the decisions but I feel it might be a good idea to consider the players that play and some of their ideas. 

Anyway, thanks for listening and see ya out there!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheZag said:

You can only see the future after hitting 88 miles per hour.  I also hear that lightning is involved.

Seems like you would have to line things up and time it correctly.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

3 hours ago, TheZag said:

You can only see the future after hitting 88 miles per hour.  I also hear that lightning is involved.

Depends which series DeLorean you're using.  The base model you will need lightning yes.  The added features model would require you just to have Iranian contacts with a stash of plutonium.  The full features model has leather bucket seats and runs on banana peels.   

4 hours ago, TheZag said:

Wait does that means the future of CoH somehow involves our mom getting frisky on us?

• Haha 1

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

Would love to see the situation with NCSoft finally put to rest. 

My personal wish would be an instanced Hamidon raid, like the MSR one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

In a low Snark moment....  I am very grateful to have the game, and the community, back. I am not only happy but quite impressed with what the HC Devs have done in regards to clean up and new material.  

If you are like me you are pretty set in your ways. You jump in and do similar activities day after day, month after month.  Then find yourself saying "I have never done the RWZ storylines...."  My point in saying this is that there is probably content in this game you have not done. That you might like. Could be worth a few topics on what is good and why to guide each other to the best older content.  The game has depth, some of it probably unexplored by many.  I was impressed with both First Ward and Night Ward.  I never did them live. I did all 1-20 Gold a few times and was glad to leave.  But the stories in First and Night are much better in my opinion.  After I 50 my current story arc project (maybe 2 weeks...?) I will start on RWZ 35-50 content.  I might like some of it....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dazl said:

Would love to see the situation with NCSoft finally put to rest. 

Honest question, how many rogue/pirated pieces of software were eventually made official?

• Thanks 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

• Lead Game Master

HC's operation philosophy is one of careful consideration and getting things right. We had a few things lined up for the last page that weren't 100% done, and getting them there would have delayed the update past New Years, so they were tabled for the moment (hopefully to be done on the next update).

Which is why we keep things close to the vest and have shied away from making announcements until something is pretty much good to go.

Similarly, we've had ideas for additional community involvement/contests/etc, but nothing that's far enough along to make any promises on, let alone discuss.

That said, I'll see if I can get an answer as to whether we're planning any announcements or updates in the near future 😃

• Thumbs Up 5

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

34 minutes ago, GM Impervium said:

HC's operation philosophy is one of careful consideration and getting things right. We had a few things lined up for the last page that weren't 100% done, and getting them there would have delayed the update past New Years, so they were tabled for the moment (hopefully to be done on the next update).

Which is why we keep things close to the vest and have shied away from making announcements until something is pretty much good to go.

Similarly, we've had ideas for additional community involvement/contests/etc, but nothing that's far enough along to make any promises on, let alone discuss.

That said, I'll see if I can get an answer as to whether we're planning any announcements or updates in the near future 😃

I'm really not looking at/for content promises, specifically for the reasons you mentioned. My post is more focused on the HC project itself, something like a roadmap update. Content is always superb, I can wait and test and enjoy when that comes - I was more curious about the whole direction of the HC project. At the same time, I am cognizant of this being an all volunteer venture and I shouldn't expect anything. I am just basing my expectation/hopes on past examples of quarterly/semi-annual updates on the 'State of the Project' we had seen in 2019, 2020, and 2021.

Edit: Oh and please don't trouble yourself/the team with getting updates for updates for updates. I can be patience! I am not making any demands! I know it probably sounds like I am asking for when an update will be made, and the easy answer is "when it is announced." I suppose my intent for this thread was more as an observation. 

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour