Unisex Hairstyles

Vorandril

The title I think hits it but for clarity:
Is there a reason we have not been able to cross over the hairs to allow them to be unisex? Being able to play a female model with the Barbarian hair style or being able to put Serrated Sugar on a guy could do a lot for people's character expression in the game.

Simple and straightforward suggestion: Can we combine the hairstyles into a single unisex list?

• Like 10
  • Thumbs Up 5

I'm probably being stupid saying so, but this seems it would be easy, low-hanging fruit to reach for, yeah.

• Like 3

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

But just think of the amazing hair-metal band of heroes we could put together, PF!

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I have to admit, I'm having a hell of a time seeing why someone would /jranger this idea...

We're in serious need of some new variation when it comes to the hair we have and this seems like it would be an easier way to get that than trying to introduce entirely new parts. Yes, a lot of the styles we have are a butt-ugly hot mess, but it would be worth it to get access to the handful of descent ones across the board. None of my guys would wear a Beehive, but I'd definitely get some use out of  some of the longer hairstyles on them... and yes, I can think of a few of the gals who I would use Barbarian and other styles from the guys' side on if they were available. 

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I only make women characters, so every single male hairstyle would be brand new to me. I wholeheartedly support this idea. 

• Like 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

• Naomi changed the title to Unisex Hairstyles
On 2/6/2022 at 1:18 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

I'm probably being stupid saying so, but this seems it would be easy, low-hanging fruit to reach for, yeah.

You tempt the code demons... 🙂

4 minutes ago, Crasical said:

People would make really obnoxious characters with this. But that’s on them, and cool people might get some good use out of it, so signed. 

But on the other hand, people make really obnoxious characters *now,* so... 😄

Anyway... yeah, I mean, I don't have any use for some of the hairstyles *now,* crossing over could have some possibilities. *shrug* We no longer have the dev from live who was absolutely adamant that "this is for this gender only, men can't have shoulder kittens!" after all.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 2/6/2022 at 2:18 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

Male, Female, and Huge all have different head shapes, so every ported hairstyle needs to be modified to fit right on the new head. If you want to do it right, you also need to then check the hairstyle against every other head detail, shoulder option, and torso option to make sure no major clipping issues occur and fix those where they do. Not very low-hanging at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Male, Female, and Huge all have different head shapes, so every ported hairstyle needs to be modified to fit right on the new head. If you want to do it right, you also need to then check the hairstyle against every other head detail, shoulder option, and torso option to make sure no major clipping issues occur and fix those where they do. Not very low-hanging at all.

See? Bad idea, moving on.

You can make this City of Manbuns over my dead body!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Vanden said:

Head shape is one thing, but what now, no allowed clipping unlike all the clipping I see already with stuff like the bubble helmet, and just about anything else you put on a toon's head?  A certain amount of clipping has been allowed since day one. 

Go have fun!

11 hours ago, arcane said:

You can make this City of Manbuns over my dead body!

Nope, we're going to retro-actively re-hair all of your toons, and any toon you make in the future WILL HAVE a manbun.  Get used to it.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Go have fun!

2 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Head shape is one thing, but what now, no allowed clipping unlike all the clipping I see already with stuff like the bubble helmet, and just about anything else you put on a toon's head?  A certain amount of clipping has been allowed since day one. 

Why do people think like this? Just because the track record hasn't been perfect in the past we shouldn't make an effort to avoid it where possible?

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Why do people think like this? Just because the track record hasn't been perfect in the past we shouldn't make an effort to avoid it where possible?

Because it wasn't taken for a failure previously.  It was allowed and seen as "not a problem."  That's it.  Sheesh.  That's how I think, it's not rocket science believe me.

Go have fun!

Minor clipping and the huge body type has kind of a hunchback thing going on where long hair would stab into the upper shoulders and reemerge somewhere in the middle of the back are 2 different things.  Some hair might move over no problem but others will take alot of work to fit properly on that frame.

• Like 1

I want to make a new toon, probably claws, called "TragedyOfClipping" now.

clipping.jpg

Go have fun!

The game was built in 2004 and closed nearly a decade ago. I know everyone would like a polished, no clipping wonderland but I don't think that hurdle is a valid reason to avoid making it an option.
Let people who would use it despite the downsides use it as such if it's too much work to do it pretty.
If it's worth doing pretty, then fantastic.

But just a meme and "no manbuns in muh vibeo gayme" isn't constructive. Please keep that in mind.

Is there anyone who might be able to provide feedback to how much would have to go into making the hair options unisex?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

I get the idea behind this but I would much rather the dev's time and effort be spent elsewhere... there are already plenty of hairstyles for all head types.

I don't think this will be as simple as you believe it will, and I am a hard NO on more clipping just to make it happen. If it is going to be done I want it done well, not half-ass.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Ratchet Dog (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Sleep Doctor (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute), Red Gloom (Dark/Pain Corruptor), Marble Marbina (Thugs/FF Mastermind)