Movement Suppression

srmalloy

Movement suppression was added to the game to address the problem of jousting -- queueing up an attack power, then zipping past your target to get just close enough to it to activate the power, and continuing past the target one the attack finished animating to get out of range of a return attack, thereby making the attack with no risk. Some time after it was implemented, though, essentially all hostile NPC mobs were given at least one ranged attack (some of which outrange a Range Boosted snipe), and since mobs aggroed by an attack can respond instantly, running away isn't a defense any more. Which has led me to wonder whether movement suppression still has a useful purpose in PvE. In PvP, since players can't respond at the speed of the server, it still restricts the viability of jousting, but I don't see that it continues to serve a purpose in PvE with the changes that were made subsequent to its rollout. So I'm throwing this out for comment, to find out if there are things other people see that I'm not.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

Movement suppression was added to the game to address the problem of jousting -- queueing up an attack power, then zipping past your target to get just close enough to it to activate the power, and continuing past the target one the attack finished animating to get out of range of a return attack, thereby making the attack with no risk. Some time after it was implemented, though, essentially all hostile NPC mobs were given at least one ranged attack (some of which outrange a Range Boosted snipe), and since mobs aggroed by an attack can respond instantly, running away isn't a defense any more. Which has led me to wonder whether movement suppression still has a useful purpose in PvE. In PvP, since players can't respond at the speed of the server, it still restricts the viability of jousting, but I don't see that it continues to serve a purpose in PvE with the changes that were made subsequent to its rollout. So I'm throwing this out for comment, to find out if there are things other people see that I'm not.

Interesting discussion point. Before others begin the "PvP caused this nerf..." fallacy, I want to note that movement suppression is turned off by default in the Arena and in PvP zones. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

13 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Interesting discussion point. Before others begin the "PvP caused this nerf..." fallacy, I want to note that movement suppression is turned off by default in the Arena and in PvP zones. 

It didn't use to be that way though. I have only PvP'd on live and the entire time I played, there was still suppression in PvP. Not that I want to rehash that argument or anything. 

Personally I want suppression to be removed. It makes combat a lot more smooth and awesome feeling if you have high unsuppressed movement speed.

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

I don't see that it continues to serve a purpose in PvE

It reminds me to turn off endurance-hogging travel powers in a mission, sometimes quite abruptly.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Movement suppression is dumb and I hate it in every game that I encounter it in.

Whenever people are shooting at me IRL I'm always able to run way faster than when they're not. In some games my actual vehicle moves slower when idiots are shooting at me too, which makes even less sense.

Movement suppression is dumb now and it was always dumb.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

... I still joust without any real issue, even (especially) on melee. Makes the Protean fight in Adair's arc insanely easy, for instance.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Movement suppression only happens on travel powers correct? 
Powers like Speed Boost, Siphon Speed, etc maintain their speed even in combat?

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

My point is you could try slotting for movement speed to make your character faster in combat. Can sprint take the new run enhancements? Also there are quite a few unique IOs that benefit run speed. For example there is one from an endurance mod set if I recall. Also there are set bonuses. 

Also you could use sets like Kinetics or Super Reflexes to increase your run speed.

I wonder how fast you could name your character with the above options?

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

24 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Sprint I'm pretty sure doesn't suppress either.

That’s correct. I think if you wanted a speedy character the options we’ve highlighted will go a long way! 

Also if you want in combat speed as your super power, it makes sense to me that you need to slot for it! (Otherwise what’s the point of all the bonuses you can get)

Retired, October 2022.

5 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

Movement suppression doesn't affect the Flash, Quicksilver, or Synapse, so why does it still exist.

This fits squarely into the trope of "gameplay and story segregation";  Think about how common healing, buffing, hard control, and rez powers are in CoH, but how they're barely present in comics - Doomsday kills Superman - "No big deal, anyone got a rez!?" - Bane breaks Batman's back?  Just hit him with a clear mind, a fortitude, and a heal other, maybe a little recovery aura just to be sure...

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

Movement suppression only happens on travel powers correct? 
Powers like Speed Boost, Siphon Speed, etc maintain their speed even in combat?

I've noticed that it at least feels as if Athletic Run is applying it inappropriately, too -- flying characters with Athletic Run on seem to be slowed to unslotted Hover speeds.

Edited by srmalloy

So let’s see if I got this straight: all these characters (suppressed) running around aren’t Godlike enough that we need them now to be not only unkillable but also untargetable?

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

1 hour ago, cranebump said:

So let’s see if I got this straight: all these characters (suppressed) running around aren’t Godlike enough that we need them now to be not only unkillable but also untargetable?

That's honestly more of a PvP issue to consider - the computer-controlled enemies can pretty much react instantly...

On 3/7/2022 at 12:09 PM, PeregrineFalcon said:

Whenever people are shooting at me IRL I'm always able to run way faster than when they're not. In some games my actual vehicle moves slower when idiots are shooting at me too, which makes even less sense.

In real life there would be a penalty to accuracy for the superhero cruising in at top speed to take potshots, as well as a penalty to accuracy for anything targeting that hero (excepting AOEs).

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

I don't like movement suppression.  I agree it doesn't make much "comic book" sense.  I actually do consider suppressed movement speed on my builds because I enjoy using movement and geometry to reduce incoming damage.  There's already a penalty for using movement powers which is their large endurance burn so why have them suppress as well?

That said, I'm ok with the status quo.  I just think a change could be a little better.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Wait a second... waaaaaiiiiitttt a second.   Are you guys telling me than when I auto-follow a targeted mob with superspeed on and it forces me into a slow-motion bionic man montage, that it doesn't actually have to be that way?   🤔

If so, please fix this, I beg you.  🙏

• Haha 1

As a retired pvper, I used to love jousting, hell it looked like my characters were literally bouncing off the walls hitting targets from what seemed like three directions at once on occasion.

I would entirely be fine with jousting in PvE again, however note that some of us have reaction speeds that actually break the constraints of the time space continuum so yes we can react faster than the server and might end up causing the people not skilled in jousting to mapserver in awe of our awesomeness.

Jokes aside it would re-introduce a slight skill curve into the PvE game which isn't a bad thing by any means, but could cause some people to end up complaining about people jousting all around the map. It's bad enough I get people complaining when I use whirlwind on a character.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MHertz said:

In real life there would be a penalty to accuracy for the superhero cruising in at top speed to take potshots, as well as a penalty to accuracy for anything targeting that hero (excepting AOEs).

Sure, and I'd be fine if they added that.

But Movement Suppression as it currently exists in game doesn't make IRL sense, doesn't make comic book sense and doesn't even make sense in the game itself. There's literally no reason for Movement Suppression to continue to exist.

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

3 hours ago, Cancrusher said:

Are you guys telling me than when I auto-follow a targeted mob with superspeed on and it forces me into a slow-motion bionic man montage, that it doesn't actually have to be that way?   🤔

I'm not saying I'm in favor of travel power suppression, but the devs did include powers like hover and sprint, which do not suppress while in combat, so you could always try slotting up swift and sprint if you wanted faster movement speed while in combat...

5 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

There's literally no reason for Movement Suppression to continue to exist.

Let’s be honest, though — there’s no reason for high-speed travel powers to exist either. The proliferation of pop-up portals, long-distance teleporters, team teleport powers, shortcuts, consolidation of train lines, and AE missions, we hardly ever have to travel distances at speed like we used to.

• Thumbs Down 1

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.