Vampire movies, powers, themes, and my Nicolas Cage resentment...

Snarky

I've been thinking about a concept that is not strictly "vampire" canon, but is the most "steal your powers and add to my own."  I'll have to think about this some more after coffee.

I'm a little played out on Dark Armor for the moment.  It's great, and it fits a lot of concepts, but I've been relying on it a little too much.  For example, if I want to make a swashbuckler who uses his foul odors to debuff his enemies and call him Epee LePew, that's great, but I already have a katana/dark armor at 50.  No desire for repeating.

• Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

Snarky you seem to have a real Stake in this matter 

• Haha 2

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

Hmmm...let’s see...At their core, Vamps must drain victims to gain energy, so...

Ah ha! Roll up an MA scrapper, jump onto teams, scrapperlock them to death, then feed off their tears and angst! Mission accomplished!

...what, this isn’t real life?

• Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Off topic, but on topic...

Best Vampire books I have read are Brian Lumley's Necroscope series and Dan Simmons' Carrion Comfort .

Both offer excellent writing and plot that make each much more than just vampire novels. They involve the Cold War and Nazi Parapsychology respectively and are truly creepy.

Salem's Lot was very good as well ( the book) but I suspect you are familiar.

Wetbones by John Shirley links Vampires, The Elder Gods, and a psychic serial killer and is a very brutal evil insane novel.

• Like 1

Also off topic, but on topic...

Many traditional accounts of vampires describe them as having arithmomania--the compulsion to count things. A traditional defense against vampires is to go to the grave of the suspected vampire (during the day) and spill something like a bag of rice on it. When the sun goes down and the vampire emerges, it will stop and start counting each individual grain of rice--hopefully until it retreats the next morning. Perhaps the best modern example of this.....lives on Sesame Street.

• Haha 1

Alucard from Hellsing and D from Vampire Hunter D are prime candidates to emulate for vampire backstories or a vampire character. They both wield guns but also are able to seduce and control others, and can wield darkness.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

Off topic, but on topic...

Best Vampire books I have read are Brian Lumley's Necroscope series and Dan Simmons' Carrion Comfort .

Both offer excellent writing and plot that make each much more than just vampire novels. They involve the Cold War and Nazi Parapsychology respectively and are truly creepy.

Salem's Lot was very good as well ( the book) but I suspect you are familiar.

Wetbones by John Shirley links Vampires, The Elder Gods, and a psychic serial killer and is a very brutal evil insane novel.

David Weber's Into the Light (Book 2 of Out of the Dark series) has a different take on vampires involving alien technology.

• Thanks 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

White court vampire = Martial arts or Street justice or katana or broadsword or dual blades scrapper/tank/ brute/ stalker with invuln will power or SR defense sets with a shiny sparkly aura

Black/red courts vampire Dark melee with regern willpower or dark armor melee archetype

Edited by catsi563

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

When I made my vamp (Nosfera-too), I went with Kin/Dark, on a defender.  Actually, my first ever 50 on Live.  All the kinetics drains (Transfusion, Transference, Siphons) fit thematically and way back then, didn't have many choices, so Dark Blast was the best fit...

image.png.ba823b5fc678978792f99de2b5dc7c33.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

7 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Stephanie Meyers' vampires are Street Justice/Willpower Scrappers with a sparkle aura.

You know, that's not the first phrase I would use to describe them...

The White Court and Red Court are from Jim Butcher's Dresden series, just to say.

He used to play CoH, and got genericked for playing... Harry Dresden. I think it worked out after he explained it.

Does he know we're back?

I enjoyed Fred Saberhagen's Dracula apologia. Buffy's vampires were pretty straightforward. And then there was Underworld... What were we saying again?

• Like 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)