Can you make money running missions only?

desarix

I know this is going to sound so petty but I was looking at the price of the recipes and IOs and almost had a heart attack especially when I looked at the set bonus one. I looked up a few videos that talk about buying converters and converting some recipes you craft with cheap ingredients and converting them to rare enhancements and making money that way. Is that conversion random and within that set or can it convert to something else entirely meaning another set altogether.

Fine I get you can do that but I am not very sure what sells because I don't play other classes but even then I wonder can I get to 50 and play not bleeding edge stuff but may be +2 or 3 X 2 or 4 and enjoy myself with the generic crafted IOs, the common ones. I know you're going to say you should get the set bonuses for the resiatances but I just want to play my MM alts and not crack my head too much about making money. Yes it sounds awfully lazy but I was quite discouraged when I saw the prices of ingredients and the set recipes. I may get lucky and get some recipes but overall I just hoped I can make do with the generic IOs.

Long time ago getting single origin was considered a big thing. 

Will first off, just playing at level 50 you will begin to earn inf just through play, drops, etc. Enhancement Catalysts drop often and are worth 1.25 million at the low end. So do not despair. An average casual night of missions can typically net me 6-20 million.

If you run a Hamidon or Mother Ship Raid, those are good for 40-120 merits. Convert to unslotters or converters, make lots of inf.

Converters are random, either in set (for 3 converters) or out of set in the same category (2 converters)

Some basic, good sellers for the market:

Luck of the Gambler

Red Fortune

Pet uniques

Healing uniques

+Defense resistance uniques

+Resistance  defense uniques

Basilisk hold set

• Like 1

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

I'll add this, I don't work the market. I just sell drops and turn merits into converters and unslotters, and still I've been able to kit out about 15 incarnate characters, have hundreds of millions in pocket, and probably one 

billion worth of enhancements in storage. 

You really don't make good inf until 50. 

If you are on everlasting, more than happy to get you some starting inf and IOs.

Edited by Force Redux
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

2 hours ago, desarix said:

I may get lucky and get some recipes but overall I just hoped I can make do with the generic IOs.

Welcome Home.

There are a great many missions in the mid level ranges that will net 30-50 merits each.  Once you store up 100 merits, buy a bunch of Enhancement Boosters and put them on the market for something less that what you see the selling rate.  Honestly you can usually just put them up for whatever and they'll sell on the order of 1m per booster.  Keep an eye out for people advertising a "WST" Task or Strike force.  These "Weekly Strike Targets" will net double merits the first time a toon completes one in a given week.

Use that as your initial influence haul and go from there.  Don't sweat recipe and salvage prices all that much.  Crafting can be completely bypassed if it is not your bag.  If it is your bag then crafting/converting/flipping per instructions found around the forums is extremely lucrative once a player gets going.  I'm too lazy so I just buy (mostly attuned) IOs on the market and sell all recipes (at trash prices) and orange salvage on the market to feed the crafters.

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

31 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

Welcome Home.

There are a great many missions in the mid level ranges that will net 30-50 merits each.  Once you store up 100 merits, buy a bunch of Enhancement Boosters and put them on the market for something less that what you see the selling rate.  Honestly you can usually just put them up for whatever and they'll sell on the order of 1m per booster.  Keep an eye out for people advertising a "WST" Task or Strike force.  These "Weekly Strike Targets" will net double merits the first time a toon completes one in a given week.

Use that as your initial influence haul and go from there.  Don't sweat recipe and salvage prices all that much.  Crafting can be completely bypassed if it is not your bag.  If it is your bag then crafting/converting/flipping per instructions found around the forums is extremely lucrative once a player gets going.  I'm too lazy so I just buy (mostly attuned) IOs on the market and sell all recipes (at trash prices) and orange salvage on the market to feed the crafters.

Good advice thank you

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Summer Blockbuster Trial awards an Overwhelming Force IO. These sell for 8-10M on the market.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Strictly speaking, you only get about 20 million inf from missions, including the selling of common and uncommon salvage, which for all in tents and porpoises, is practically chump change.

There are a few tricks to playing the mysterious AH such as selling off merits, craft-convert-sell IOs, etc. You also get about 80-100 recipe drops from level 10-50 just from door missions (task/strike force excluded).

One thing I noticed when I was running a char thru all missions and stopping progress to not out level anything, the lower level recipes could be cheaply made, and then converted to one of the more expensive enhancements.   Doing that causally netted a few hundred million before they were 20.

Before doing that, I never had much of an issue kitting out my chars once they hit 50.  You do earn quite a bit just playing.  You won't be able to do a full out kit on the first 50 for a while, but it will happen.  And if you have alts, you start just building up extra enhancements, etc... playing the game and after awhile, you just raid your storage, maybe do a bit of conversion, and have a full outfit.

I tend to just have generic 50 IOs in my 50s until I take the time to do a full on build.   And sometimes I do the full on build because I don't have room in my storage racks because they're completely full and I need room.

18 hours ago, desarix said:

Thanks for tips. I feel relieved.

Thanks for the offer I just wanted to see how far I can manage on my own.

If you just convert your merits to enhancement boosters and list those for 1 inspiration each (Yes, you read that correctly- I said "1") you will easily make enough influence to slot your character with lvl 25 basic IO's.  A lot of people play with just basic lvl 25 enhancements until lvl 50, then they begin using accumulated inf. to buy sets.

It's fairly cheap to outfit a character with lvl 25 IO's.  At lvl 22, I can usually do this for a mere 2 or 3 million influence.

@desarix,  I don't farm and I don't buy recipes or "big-cost" IOs off the market.  (I may buy some of the cheap ones, though.)  By running normal content, I get all my AT enhancements or Winter set enhancements through merits.  And I min/max each build with purples, AT sets, Winter sets, and PvP IOs - and I get all these without farming.  I prefer running TFs and Trials to get merits - and you also get good money too, especially if you run at +4.  Look for completing the Weekly Strike Target TFs/SFs/Trials as you get double merits for the first time you run one that week.  

Story arcs give really good merit rewards too.  Run any that you missed through Ouro.  Run them multiple times too, if you want.  Plenty of merits to be had there.

Someone above mentioned the nightly Hami Raid and converting merits to inf.  I prefer keeping them as merits as you can generally get more IOs that way and you don't have to worry bout fluctuating market values.  1 raid (3 hami kills per raid) which takes roughly 30 mins of time total, and you can walk away with 160 merits.  Do the second raid that night and get another 160 for 380 merits total in 1-1.5 hours' time.  That is 3 purples, or 3 AT IOs, or 3 Winter Event IOs (each cost 100 merits) + 80 merits leftover to add to the next night.  Or run a TF to get over 100 more merits for a 4th purple/AT/Winter IO.

Crafting, Converting, and selling the recipe drops you get will also get you money too, as others have mentioned.  Just look at the market to see what is going for what.  You'll eventually get to know what sells for good prices and what doesn't.  As long as you make money (even just a little bit) from your crafted IO, you're golden.  

But you can easily get what you want for your builds by running normal content and not having to farm.

I read every mission because I enjoy the writing especially the one in Praetoria. Believe it or not I actually scroll up to read the NPC's comments too and the villains/heroes/loyalist/resistance remarks before they try to kill you. I even read them even when I have done it a few times because I just enjoy going through a story arc properly. It takes time but I solo with my pets but I do join groups when I can. 

I will keep in mind all the points you have kindly shared and will make some level inroads soon I hope. I did try to make a recipe that dropped and I didn't need from buying the ingredients and made about 700k selling the completed enhancement. Some the ingredients for the dropped recipes were too insanely high and not worth making I just vendored the recipe as the going price for them were like 10. I enjoyed making that money.

Edited by desarix
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Common IO recipes - Vendor
Uncommon/Rare IO recipes that don't require Rare salvage - Craft, list if recent is over 1million, otherwise convert in category to Rare enhance, list if >1million, convert again as Rare if not

Uncommon/Rare IO recipes that DO require Rare salvage - Craft if I have the Rare and follow above rules, otherwise compare recipe AH list vs vendor - sell to best one (usually vendor)

Common/Uncommon Salvage - sell all on AH at lowball lists

Enhancements - Sell

Using 2xEXP (no influence gain), SO slotting (especially with the new system to refresh all at once), and those market rules - I've managed to keep two alts self-funded from level 1 up to 40ish so far (distracted with other games), both having a full set of ATO's (Spider and Stalker). Run arcs, turn merits into converters, bid low on buying converters, and have patience, the spice money will flow.

Death is the best debuff.

I run the "The Burden of the Past TF"  repeatedly when I really want the goods.  Takes me  about 11 minutes to run the whole TF (4 per hour @about 15 minute Turn around total) with my bots/dark MM. I get 2 Empyrean merits per run, which I convert to reward merits.  Just this week I decided to replace a full set of  Stupefy I had slotted in Howling Twilight with a set of Absolute Amazement. I ran the TF ~20 times,  ( had some a couple of Empyrean merits already, and gained a vet level badge which awarded me 20 more) converted the 60 Empyrean merits into 600 reward merits, bought the recipes. Running the TF also rewarded me with a few of the salvage needed to craft, a few Enhancement Catalyst, another purple recipe , a bunch of recipes, regular enhancements, and enough inf to craft, buy all salvage needed,  and catalyst for attuning. Afterwards I had enough inf left over that I was above my starting level.

I also used this method to grind out my incarnates, by selecting the random incarnate roll instead of the Empyrean merit at the end. It is by far the fastest/easiest way I have found outside of running an AE fire farm toon to get the things you want.

My main goal when playing is to decide on a build by level 30, at level 30 respec into the slotting for the build I want, and start picking up the I/O sets that I can afford. As I play regular content I buy something as soon as I can afford it, buy cheap stuff first to increase the number of bonuses you gain. I buy Attuned versions of everything, unless I can only afford to craft. then I attune as I loot enhancement catalyst. By time I hit level 50 I was 75-80% complete with my build. I finished out the rest really quick using the methods above.

Rikti raids are also a good source to get vanguard merits which convert to reward merits at 30 to1. you get about 1000 per raid.

it is relatively easy to get the stuff you want, you just have to put in a little work. but its fun work 🙂

Edited by jeolman1
  • Like 1

The advice so far has been scattershot, so I thought I'd contribute a little to the chaos, specific to:

• Masterminds, not at level 50
  • Who want to run missions
  • Who aren't 'tricked out'

In my experience: a mid-level MM (say 20s, 30s) who has the low-level powers slotted (especially henchmen) can build up their 'bank' by running blue-side missions like Aaron Thiery's in Atlas Park and mid-arc duck into Perez Park to street sweep Hellions. The drops from the Lts and Bosses are quite good, and the exemplared henchmen can handle the Hellion spawns (with effort). This is NOT as quick or painless or rewarding as simply leveraging the auction house but it can be a fun distraction, especially if you want to work on some defeat badges (including Doorbuster).

On 3/26/2022 at 2:30 PM, desarix said:

I know this is going to sound so petty but I was looking at the price of the recipes and IOs and almost had a heart attack especially when I looked at the set bonus one. I looked up a few videos that talk about buying converters and converting some recipes you craft with cheap ingredients and converting them to rare enhancements and making money that way. Is that conversion random and within that set or can it convert to something else entirely meaning another set altogether.

Fine I get you can do that but I am not very sure what sells because I don't play other classes but even then I wonder can I get to 50 and play not bleeding edge stuff but may be +2 or 3 X 2 or 4 and enjoy myself with the generic crafted IOs, the common ones. I know you're going to say you should get the set bonuses for the resiatances but I just want to play my MM alts and not crack my head too much about making money. Yes it sounds awfully lazy but I was quite discouraged when I saw the prices of ingredients and the set recipes. I may get lucky and get some recipes but overall I just hoped I can make do with the generic IOs.

Long time ago getting single origin was considered a big thing. 

It sounds like this is your first main character.  Although eventually inf falls from the sky in this game, it's tough to bootstrap your first character without playing some market tricks.  But if you don't want to play market tricks, here are a few thoughts of mine:

-- In general, you can vendor every enhancement drop you get (unless you want to slot it), vendor every common, uncommon, and rare recipe you get (unless you want to craft it or it looks really valuable in which case put it on the /AH), vendor every piece of white and yellow salvage, and sell every piece of orange salvage on the /AH.  You don't need to hoard anything for later.  Even if you decide you want to start crafting things later, you can always buy the salvage you need.

-- You can really go completely without any enhancements slotted up until level 15 or so.  And then an SO build will suit you just fine unless you are looking to run solo TFs at +4/x8.  There is a button you can press on the enhancement screen that will upgrade all your SOs to +3 -- it's expensive to do that every level but every three levels is doable.

-- I wrote a guide on "essential" IOs and when to slot them.  I can't link to it right now but you can find it in the Guides section of the forums.  that should help you get a feel for what non-SOs you should look for and to save your inf towards.

-- See my signature if you are interested in some start-up funds.

Don't stress and have fun.  By the time you are in your mid-30s you should be generating positive cash flow.  And honestly, if you just post in Help that you need something people will almost certainly be kind and generous.

Who run Bartertown?

On 3/26/2022 at 2:30 PM, desarix said:

Yes it sounds awfully lazy but I was quite discouraged when I saw the prices of ingredients and the set recipes.

You don't need set IOs or even IOs for that matter to play through the content (either solo or on teams).

If you are new, just use SOs. SOs are fine.

If the content seems too difficult, you need to change your playstyle or set the difficulty down by changing your notoriety. (click on the little bubble on the right side of the chat entry window)

Once you get to level 50, you will start getting a decent amount of influence and you can think about slotting up with other stuff at that point.

don't forget ::

- Yomo's Give-Away -

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/20275-yomos-whizbang-potpourri-extravaganza-of-a-giveaway/

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.