VidiotMaps for Issue 24 and Beyond

Brickstown.jpg

This is what I see when I go to Brickstown, all other zones seem fine and up to date. Have re-downloaded twice and replaced the files, weird.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

This is what I see when I go to Brickstown, all other zones seem fine and up to date. Have re-downloaded twice and replaced the files, weird.

Try reinstalling the VM first, then the update and see if that helps. Make SURE to overwrite files as it asks.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Brickstown similarly broke for me at some point between Thursday night, when I got all the exploration badges/history clickies, and this morning. Other zones I visited worked fine. My first thought is it's related to the Windows update I installed last night.

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

Brickstown similarly broke for me at some point between Thursday night, when I got all the exploration badges/history clickies, and this morning. Other zones I visited worked fine. My first thought is it's related to the Windows update I installed last night.

What's the date and time stamp you have for the "map_city_04_02.texture" file on your computer?

What's the date and time stamp you have for the "map_city_04_02.texture" file on your computer?

7/4/2019 11:02 AM

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

That's strange. The stamp for the file in the download is 6/11/2019 6:12 PM. Try downloading the file separately with this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2ch3yuec88d5dp/map_city_04_02.texture?dl=1 and overwriting whatever is in the "..\<CoH Game folder>\data\texture_library\MAPS\static" folder.

That's strange. The stamp for the file in the download is 6/11/2019 6:12 PM. Try downloading the file separately with this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2ch3yuec88d5dp/map_city_04_02.texture?dl=0 and overwriting whatever is in the "..\<CoH Game folder>\data\texture_library\MAPS\static" folder.

That fixed it, thanks.

@Blondeshell If you will change your dropbox links from this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2ch3yuec88d5dp/map_city_04_02.texture?dl=0

to this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2ch3yuec88d5dp/map_city_04_02.texture?dl=1

It will automatically start the file download without visiting the dropbox site.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

That fixed it, thanks.

Glad you got it to work!

@Blondeshell If you will change your dropbox links from this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2ch3yuec88d5dp/map_city_04_02.texture?dl=0

to this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2ch3yuec88d5dp/map_city_04_02.texture?dl=1

It will automatically start the file download without visiting the dropbox site.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've updated them accordingly. Please let me know if there are any other issues.

i give up, I've tried everything, and cannot get this to work. Is there another resource for us to find out where the badges that were moved have gone?

There are a few threads in the Badges forum that talk about RWZ, Faultline, and other zone changes.

Before you completely throw this out, though, can you please let us know what you've done so far? Did you download the original VidiotMaps collection first? Have you gotten *any* of the maps to work or just not certain ones? Have you looked to see what folders have been created on your computer? (The ideal folder structure should be "..\<CoH Game Folder>\data\texture_library\MAPS\..etc..") Have you searched for where any *.texture files have ended up?

That's strange. The stamp for the file in the download is 6/11/2019 6:12 PM. Try downloading the file separately with this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2ch3yuec88d5dp/map_city_04_02.texture?dl=1 and overwriting whatever is in the "..\<CoH Game folder>\data\texture_library\MAPS\static" folder.

I've downloaded the above map/texture to that folder, letting it overwrite the old one, and my Brickstown map still looks like the other guy's post. All the other maps (at least all the other zones I've been to) look fine. Any ideas/suggestions?

I've downloaded the above map/texture to that folder, letting it overwrite the old one, and my Brickstown map still looks like the other guy's post. All the other maps (at least all the other zones I've been to) look fine. Any ideas/suggestions?

If nothing else, simply deleting the Data folder and then following the steps should work. There's no reason it shouldn't UNLESS your files are being corrupted during download (more than rare).

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you. The Vidiot Maps crew have been doing a great service for the CoH/V community. With Homecoming, they (assuming Blondeshell isn't doing this solo.) continue their service. It is greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Just some background on me. I'm a mostly casual player who considers himself a badge hunter. But, I'm also a "purist" in that I play games without any add-ons. Until now. I've looked at the posted Vidiot Map images for years. Flipping back and forth between windows, and reading the hints from the Wiki. Even after shutdown, I'd go look for old times sake.

But, Today I've downloaded and installed Vidiot Maps and the More Maps update. I reread the direction like 20 times to make sure I did it right. All went well. Logged onto a toon in Perez Park and.. Voila! All the badges and plaques are right there. Awesome!

Once you turn your Path to the Darkside, forever will it dominate your Fate... and you get Dental. - Dark Acolyte, Warcraft III

This is where I've extracted the update to. Yet, when I visit Echo; Atlas Park, no overlay. Please help?

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I still had my system set up from live, so I don't know exactly how a computer that's only used Tequila for Homecoming might be laid out.

That being said, your screenshot seems a little weird to me. The folder that starts the \data\texture_library\etc... path should be the one that contains your CoH .exe file and a \piggs folder. Traditionally, that target folder would have been ..\<somethingsomething\Program_files>\City of Heroes\, so I don't know how accurate the "\download\" portion of your suggested location is. Judging by your report, I'd guess not very.

It is possible to do it correctly, as Sylvar Panda (posted directly above here) can attest to. Speaking of...

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you. The Vidiot Maps crew have been doing a great service for the CoH/V community. With Homecoming, they (assuming Blondeshell isn't doing this solo.) continue their service. It is greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Just some background on me. I'm a mostly casual player who considers himself a badge hunter. But, I'm also a "purist" in that I play games without any add-ons. Until now. I've looked at the posted Vidiot Map images for years. Flipping back and forth between windows, and reading the hints from the Wiki. Even after shutdown, I'd go look for old times sake.

But, Today I've downloaded and installed Vidiot Maps and the More Maps update. I reread the direction like 20 times to make sure I did it right. All went well. Logged onto a toon in Perez Park and.. Voila! All the badges and plaques are right there. Awesome!

Welcome to the club! I'm glad you enjoy the maps. Yeah, the VidiotMaps "crew" has been just me since mid-2012, but I'm okay with that. I just had to get brushed up on my techniques after some time away from it. Please be sure to post any other feedback/suggestions/corrections that you might have here so I can address them.

5 hours ago, Some Random User said:

Can you add a screenshot of what the in-game map would look like?

This is an example of the new Echo: Atlas Park zone map. There are close to 100 maps in both the original download and the More Maps collection, and all have similar layouts and information.

map_city_01_05.jpg

• Thanks 2

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:00 PM, Shandirra said:

This is where I've extracted the update to. Yet, when I visit Echo; Atlas Park, no overlay. Please help?

Extraction_Snip.PNG.627e087a0e39afaeda3b4bed33cc2021.PNG

Per the HIGHLY recommended installation guide, I begrudgingly suggest you change your installation to match accordingly. Having the game itself in your downloads folder is a bad idea in general.

For the game:

You have it like this: C:\Users\C\Downloads\homecoming

Where you'll have better luck with this: C:\Games\homecoming

This way when you install Any add-ons they'll end up here: C:\Games\homecoming\data

If you don't do this now and they start adding to the game (or more add-ons are created/found), then you're going to keep having a headache.

6 hours ago, Blondeshell said:

This is an example of the new Echo: Atlas Park zone map. There are close to 100 maps in both the original download and the More Maps collection, and all have similar layouts and information.

This is very good. I would like to recommend you add a side-by-side, of an unenhanced map and the enhanced map, to the original post (or the immediately following post) so users have some idea of what the advantages really are in-game.

15 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Per the HIGHLY recommended installation guide, I begrudgingly suggest you change your installation to match accordingly. Having the game itself in your downloads folder is a bad idea in general.

For the game:

You have it like this: C:\Users\C\Downloads\homecoming

Where you'll have better luck with this: C:\Games\homecoming

This way when you install Any add-ons they'll end up here: C:\Games\homecoming\data

If you don't do this now and they start adding to the game (or more add-ons are created/found), then you're going to keep having a headache.

I run the game out of downloads just fine, no problems, I use these maps and the Icon fixes.

Running the game in downloads is not different than running from any other HD location.

How is it, in any way, a 'bad idea', at all?

HD space is HD space until you start talking about inner and outer platter speeds or something...

What 'headache'?

15 hours ago, GadgetDon said:

Still can't figure out where to put them on my Mac install? I'd love to have VidiotMaps back, as well as restore some old AE files

Had you tried downloading the original Mac installation yet? If so, what kind of results did it give for a suggested location? (I can't test the Mac version, myself.)

4 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

I run the game out of downloads just fine, no problems, I use these maps and the Icon fixes.

Running the game in downloads is not different than running from any other HD location.

How is it, in any way, a 'bad idea', at all?

HD space is HD space until you start talking about inner and outer platter speeds or something...

What 'headache'?

While, yes, the program doesn't care what sector or platter it's running from, I think what WA was trying to get at (please correct me if I'm wrong, WA) was that it's best to use standard organizational practices when installing programs. That way when you have a need for troubleshooting (as in this thread) the people trying to help will have some consistent frame of reference for their suggestions. When you use an uncommon and potentially confusing installation method (i.e., putting programs in the Downloads folder), it can create a need for extra time and clarification before a solution can be found.

Now, all that being said, the "..\<program location>\data\texture_library\etc..." structure mentioned in the original post still applies to your installation. You just have to navigate deeper into your file system to get to the proper location.