Temporary Powers Challenge

Delta

After finishing leveling up my Slot Machine Random Challenge character to level 50 (and incarnates), I decided to work on a challenge that I felt would be challenging to even those who have experience with the game. Called the Temporary Powers Challenge, there are a few rules to go by:

1. You can only damage opponents using temporary powers (i.e. Revolver, St. Louis Slammer, etc.). You can use the Origin power that your character receives at character creation. 

2. If your character Primary/secondary has a build up/aim power, you can use it to help with accuracy or to give your temporary attacks more power. 

3. You can use your secondary powers (or primary if using a Tanker) as long as they don't do damage to the enemy.

4. Any temporary powers that you get from missions are fair game (Warwolf Whistle, EMP Glove, etc.)

You can add optional rules like Ironman rules, or no using the Action House, etic. to make it even more challenging. 

So far, I have made it to level 17 on my character, going with STJ/Nin Scrapper as Ninjutsu has several powers that aid my character (Stealth, Endurance Recovery and Heal specifically). It was a bit of a challenge early on, but after getting Seishinteki Kyoyo, my endurance problems were mostly solved. 

Have anyone else tried something similar and if so how was the experience?

• Like 1

Haven’t tried this, but did have a character called Jon Poole who used just Pool Powers. This might be interesting to do with a devices characater, or maybe Regen in order to carry the stamina load.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

31 minutes ago, cranebump said:

Haven’t tried this, but did have a character called Jon Poole who used just Pool Powers. This might be interesting to do with a devices characater, or maybe Regen in order to carry the stamina load.

Named after legendary Wildhearts bassist, Jon Poole, of course! I believe he worked at Waterstones on Oxford Street.

Edited by Herotu

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

2 hours ago, Herotu said:

Named after legendary Wildhearts bassist, Jon Poole, of course! I believe he worked at Waterstones on Oxford Street.

Of course. Or he could be the name of a director with whom I did community theater.:-)

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Nifty concept!

I have a character who is a former millionaire who spent all his money on training and temp powers, and I must say some of the temp powers are surprisingly effective. Everyone knows Envenomed Dagger is great vs. AVs, but Plasmatic Taser is under-rated for lesser threats.

Don't forget to run all the Mayhems via Lord Schnauser (Schweitzer?) for those temp powers, too!

Sounds fun, good luck!

Edited by DoctorDitko
'cause
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

What you're chasing makes me think of the old "MAN" builds that were stripped of as much "super" as possible and (typically, but not everyone exclusively) used only pool abilities for the bulk of its build. I did a Traps/* Defender with Boxing, Kick, and Cross Punch as my primary attacks with an occasional funsies baseball bat, pistol, or what-have-you. The Temporary powers don't hold up well the further into the game a character goes though, especially as difficulty ramps up and their poor accuracy starts to effect you against tougher enemies. On the Traps side I only used Caltrops, FFG, Poison Trap, and Acid Mortar.

He is Fully slotted 50+4 and capable of taking down an even-con AV.

Interesting!  I'd look for a lot of +to hit buffs, +damage buffs, and as much mitigation as you could find.  My first thought is a Plant/Rad controller.  Four available non-damaging powers in the primary, of which three provide mitigation.  Seven great debuffs in the secondary, of which many (all?) are auto-hit.

Who run Bartertown?

I got one better (or worse) for all you masochists: No training challenge. I started some a few months ago, ones that stuck are Katana/WP and Savage/Bio Scrappers. No training, so you're stuck with T1/T2 primary and T1 secondary + Brawl, Sprint/Slide, Health, and Stamina with just one slot each. No P2W.

4 hours ago, Six-Six said:

I got one better (or worse) for all you masochists: No training challenge. I started some a few months ago, ones that stuck are Katana/WP and Savage/Bio Scrappers. No training, so you're stuck with T1/T2 primary and T1 secondary + Brawl, Sprint/Slide, Health, and Stamina with just one slot each. No P2W.

Totally doable with inspirations and specialized solo AE missions. Raise the stakes a bit to level 6 cap and this is essentially the old CEBR challenge! Achieve a solo level 50 in four hours without ever going beyond level 6.

2 hours ago, Six-Six said:

Specialized missions??? Don't be a wuss.

Well to be fair I was specifically thinking of the CEBR mission which was designed to front load clusters of spawns with multiple triggers. It would start off with about four groupings, then those would each trigger an ambush, and then there would be two more ambushes after that (roughly, it has been like a decade). The whole process could be cleared in like... five minutes? It relied heavily on abusing inspirations going in, and the settings were most definitely +4/x8, so that's not exactly "wuss" territory, it was just very specifically executed.

There are a few maps in the wild that occur with events like this, they're just not so tightly timed, so you could repeat this exercise without AE, it just takes a lot longer 🙂