What got you into playing Dominators?

Voltak

I never had a perma-dom preshutdown. I have several now.

Oh and the ability to tank as a dom was just too good.  It's like being a controller, but having an iota of damage outside of outliers like Illu and /Storm. And fire I guess but it's fire 😛

• Haha 2

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Something Evil, on live I would lead full teams of Dominators as the SGL of World Domination Inc. Showing others how to taking turns as Domination came and went. Allowed World Domination Inc. to steamroll Longbow and put AVs down. Good times....good times.

Now I just randomly play one of my 32 different Dominators. Favorites are Dark/Dark, Dark/Thorny, Plant/Thorny, Fire/Psi, Mind/Ice, Fire/Icy, Earth/Earth, Dark/Energy, Earth/Energy so far...

Orbis Non Sufficit

• Thanks 1

I had a hard time with a lot of the villain AT's back on live; namely because I was just a dumb teenager with parents who thought the internet and the game were evil, so I didn't know about things like going to forums for help. Doms were especially hard for me.

Fast forward to rediscovering the game in 2020, I made a point to actively learn about the AT's and visit the forums to better try and understand all their roles. So I wanted to try doms again because they're such an interesting amalgamation of powersets. I'm still not an elite player by any means, but even as an average player, once I started reading about how to properly play a dom, they have become infinitely more fun. Once domination gets going, man is it fun locking down a spawn and then whaling on them with your secondary. Feels a bit like playing a controllery blaster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Given how versatile and how potentially fragile doms are, thoughtful choices when building them and strategic thinking when playing them are well rewarded and quite satisfying.  

Basically, I was drawn to playing doms pretty much as soon as they were released with City of Villains on live and that feeling hasn't changed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i don’t really play anything other than my mind/fire/ice, it’s such an incredibly powerful AT/combo it makes everything else feel a bit dull

it’s only when you try to play something without mez controls that you realise how great permadom is

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Playing my first red AT , a bots/bubs was torture solo when they first came out and i was on Defiant which was pretty dead the hours i played as i worked nightshifts. Luckily there was a few US players on the euro servers and i found myself teaming with a mind/fire/levi domi who knew what he was doing and let me tag along just keeping him bubbled. Honestly i didn't have a clue what was going on but when he dropped waterspout i was like 'wow' that powers awesome i have to make a dominator right away. Turns out mind/fire is no. 1. Who knew.

• Like 1

Rolled a Mind/Psi "bear" toon that got swiftly generic'd and rightfully so, at CoV launch. However, the WIN button of Domination had a lot of allure, and they felt more like scrappers than any other villain AT did - also, I finally got to play Control sets without having to hate life as a support player. Got an Ice/Fiery Demon and Fire/Icy menopausal mutant (my mother's idea when she found out about the game) - Both with macro's for transformation on Domination... never could afford a Perma-dom build on Legacy, though.

Rediscover the game just prior to the drama explosion, get playing after once HC went live - instant new project to level 1 toon of each AT on the "wrong" side, chose Dark/Psi for concept, new control set, and not a repeat of previous dominators. Giggle-fest to 50, first blue 50 in HC, and finally perma-Dom. More giggles ensue.

Once I finish my Scrapper project (1 of each primary to 50), I'll pro'ly move to either Stalkers or Dominators next.

Death is the best debuff.

35 minutes ago, Errants said:

Rolled a Mind/Psi "bear" toon that got swiftly generic'd and rightfully so, at CoV launch. However, the WIN button of Domination had a lot of allure, and they felt more like scrappers than any other villain AT did - also, I finally got to play Control sets without having to hate life as a support player. Got an Ice/Fiery Demon and Fire/Icy menopausal mutant (my mother's idea when she found out about the game) - Both with macro's for transformation on Domination... never could afford a Perma-dom build on Legacy, though.

Rediscover the game just prior to the drama explosion, get playing after once HC went live - instant new project to level 1 toon of each AT on the "wrong" side, chose Dark/Psi for concept, new control set, and not a repeat of previous dominators. Giggle-fest to 50, first blue 50 in HC, and finally perma-Dom. More giggles ensue.

Once I finish my Scrapper project (1 of each primary to 50), I'll pro'ly move to either Stalkers or Dominators next.

This is an amazing story, a real pleasure to read.

Edited by Voltak

21 hours ago, Krimson said:

I never played one. I decided I needed one. I made one. 

It's Dark/Martial Assault and my only dedicated villain because of Frenzy. I think I'm at Vet Level 30 something with it.

Aptly so, the villain is the DARK Dominator... very thematic 

21 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I chose Martial Assault first because I was trying to make a ninja. 

Kudos for the implementation of the concept: 
Ninja and Villain

Dark/Martial Dominator.  

Very very nice. 

40 minutes ago, Krimson said:

Maybe one day I'll make one of those farming Dominators once I find something to pair with Plant/.

Not Fire. 

Before the LIVE servers shut down, I was farming the Battle Maiden map with Plant/Thorns, the AoEs were nice to clean the groups quickly. 

But Plant/Psi
Plant/Dark
come to mind now with incarnates to T4.

On 6/27/2022 at 6:31 PM, Voltak said:

Simple as that.  I want to hear your narratives or stories.  Simple or elaborate, I don't care. 
I want to know , curious to know what drew you into playing them ?

As a scrapper, I enjoy mitigation with the ability to punch/claw/whatever enemies in the face. Dominators sorta fit that role. Not nearly as well as scrappers, of course, but it's the same mindset. The only difference is the time I have to spend creating the sphere of mitigation before I get to punch things in the face. This means that the AT itself is still lower in the pack after scrapper/brute/tank/sentinel.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

As a scrapper, I enjoy mitigation with the ability to punch/claw/whatever enemies in the face. Dominators sorta fit that role. Not nearly as well as scrappers, of course, but it's the same mindset. The only difference is the time I have to spend creating the sphere of mitigation before I get to punch things in the face. This means that the AT itself is still lower in the pack after scrapper/brute/tank/sentinel.

That reminds of me of the player who made an Ice/Savage just so he can run in, confuse and use aura of confusion as well, and get to work.  

I can't remember where he posted the build, but he even farms with that.  

I had never played a dominator on live but I had played a lot of controllers. The first one I tried on HC was Plant/Martial, which I liked a lot even if Martial has some issues. I've since taken Earth/Earth, Mind/Psi (for a themed team) and Dark/Dark to 50 (all +4 incarnate). 

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

2 hours ago, Uun said:

I had never played a dominator on live but I had played a lot of controllers. The first one I tried on HC was Plant/Martial, which I liked a lot even if Martial has some issues. I've since taken Earth/Earth, Mind/Psi (for a themed team) and Dark/Dark to 50 (all +4 incarnate). 

The sounds and visuals, as a combo, is probably the best in the game

for that Earth/Earth Dominator you played

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/30/2022 at 11:02 AM, Armaaz said:

I always wanted to try out the fabled permadom. Ended up with a toon I really enjoyed playing. Dark/fire/ice. Feels like the baby of a controller and hover blaster.

Dark control is a true monster.  Fire assault is well, FIRE !  Super powered indeed !