Are Brutes just obsolete?

Wuuren

I am reading through the threads and from what I can gather it seems fruitless and pointless to play. Which is very disappointing to read because I main  a Brute on live .. 

Across the board in damage, resistance,  survivability,  and viability they are bad ( from what I gather from reading in these forums).

So no too be rude , what is the point of playing a Brute if they are a Jack of Nothing? 

I want to know I am contributing on a team , not a pity spot  like when issue 7 was released with Recluse strike force.

1 hour ago, Wuuren said:

I am reading through the threads and from what I can gather it seems fruitless and pointless to play. Which is very disappointing to read because I main  a Brute on live .. 

Across the board in damage, resistance,  survivability,  and viability they are bad ( from what I gather from reading in these forums).

So no too be rude , what is the point of playing a Brute if they are a Jack of Nothing? 

I want to know I am contributing on a team , not a pity spot  like when issue 7 was released with Recluse strike force.

They are between Scrappers and tankers in both survival and damage. You can build them more survivable or more damage orientated, it is up to you.

Don't believe everything you read on the forums. Issues come from players trying to make them Tanker survival, then the damage takes a big hit or the other way around. Just accept their position of Scrapper>Brute>Tanker damage or Tanker>Brute>Scrapper survival and move on.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

If you solo all the time, then your brute is a weak scrapper with slightly better HP or it's a weak tank with slightly better damage.

Teamed is a different story because teams bring buffs. On a team, your brute can become as tough as a tank (thanks to the same resist caps) with slightly worse HP with damage output nearing scrapper levels due to the much higher damage cap, when you've got big damage buffs coming in. If I ran around with a dedicated team that wanted one melee taunt bot, I'd bring a brute... unless it was a team of 7 blasters.

That said, yea, I have more tanks these days than either brutes or scrappers because not ever having to waste time being dead makes up for the slower kill speed.

Regardless, chasing fury can be its own reward not that it's all that difficult to chase it these days.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

No, Brutes are not obsolete. They are on the whole sturdier than Scrappers/Stalkers and generally deal more damage than Tankers. Yes, there are exceptions to that on either side and depending on circumstance, but there are places where Brutes do better in the overlap realm too. 

As to being needed, no AT is. I did Tanker Tuesday last night where there were only Tankers teamed together. I have done all ranged groups, even all Blaster groups and it turns out no individual AT is necessary for a group to do well. So do not worry about your Brute's contribution, the Brute is contributing in a way that only Brutes can. 

• Thumbs Up 2

No, Brutes aren't obsolete. As the others said, they sit in the middle between Scrappers and Tankers. The former does more damage but has less survivability, the latter has better survivability but less damage. 

On the whole, CoV ATs are more hybridized than their CoH counterparts so their overall usefulness is skewed when it comes to min/max (Which is exactly what most forum discussions are centered around). Reading the forums gives you a particular viewpoint on performance at the top level, not necessarily what most players or teams are doing "in the wild."

So, if you want a Brute, roll a Brute. The worst performing AT is the one you don't have fun playing...or a Sentinel...definitely a Sentinel 😝

• Like 2

You wanna play Peacebringer?😒  Fine, but at least check out this guide first: Peacebringers STILL SUCK!!! (v. 1.1)

7 minutes ago, Wuuren said:

Well , I appreciate everyone's input . I just want to clarify it just felt  like gloom and doom for them . Thanks again.

Glad you got good responses.

I was torn between:

Broots are very effective, fun and playable.

-vs-

"Are Brutes just obsolete?" Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha good one.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Scrappers are not that far ahead of Brutes. They are if certain combos are taken but it means being locked into those choices. But once the casual player wanders from that path? No, not really.

Pylons just skew things so much that even Brutes (and not just certain power set combos) are sneered at. In the meanwhile Trapdoor tests between Scrappers and Brutes are 30 seconds apart.

Brutes are in a very good place midway between tanks and scrappers.  This make them very versatile.  You can build them in the middle, you can build them toward damage, or you can build them toward tanking.  Use all three builds slots, General Gameplay, Full Procced Offense, and Full 801 Tank build.  Personally I'd build that as three different characters, but if YOU want to build all three on only one frame, then the Brute using all three build slots is a really good pick.

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

Is something which can solo at +4/x8 obsolete? Asking for a friend.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

5 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

If you can't just snap your fingers when you enter a map and defeat everything you're obsolete.

More seriously, is there any AT which cannot solo +4x8 at this point?

10 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

Yes. But it just shows how obsolete everything is because power creep from the devs provided us a game where the max diff is obsolete and the playerbase demands no nerfs and only buffs so that it might as well be a fucking I Win button unless you're playing a petless merc/ta mastermind unless you choose to play the new ultra-diff level TFs of which there will eventually be two. And people never choose to play them.

Edit: Damn, I sound jaded as all get out.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

More seriously, is there any AT which cannot solo +4x8 at this point?

Do note, I feel like soloing +4/x8 has a bit of an asterisk with it. Yes, I have a brute who can do it, and even pre level 50, BUT, there are certain maps which are all sorts of "Hell no." This says nothing about can it be done at a tolerable rate as well. Sure, you could if you wanted to do that setting with a Ice/ff controller, but dear lord why?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

18 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

Do note, I feel like soloing +4/x8 has a bit of an asterisk with it. Yes, I have a brute who can do it, and even pre level 50, BUT, there are certain maps which are all sorts of "Hell no." This says nothing about can it be done at a tolerable rate as well. Sure, you could if you wanted to do that setting with a Ice/ff controller, but dear lord why?

There are definite differences in difficulty depending on where your character's weak spots are. I suspect nobody has trouble with The Council. For my primary brute Carnies are only dangerous if multiple Master Illusionists are involved that can override his mez protection and drive detoggle him. But Arachnos are deeply unpleasant because he spends so much time blind they can nickel and dime him to death. Crey, Malta, and Nemesis aren't big problems. For others brute build I am sure the difficulty spread would be different.

9 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

There are definite differences in difficulty depending on where your character's weak spots are. I suspect nobody has trouble with The Council. For my primary brute Carnies are only dangerous if multiple Master Illusionists are involved that can override his mez protection and drive detoggle him. But Arachnos are deeply unpleasant because he spends so much time blind they can nickel and dime him to death. Crey, Malta, and Nemesis aren't big problems. For others brute build I am sure the difficulty spread would be different.

That's when you bite the bullet and take Focused Accuracy, and add a Rectified Reticule +perception on top of.

I found the RR +perception was not enough in Trapdoor once the blinds got stacked.