I need some help and a few answers

savair

I don’t remember  cpu specs, but it shouldn’t be much - this is an old game after all.

Heres a link to get you started.  You will download the installer, which will then be used to initially download the game, and start it up anytime you want to play.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/53-getting-started/

and welcome!  Hope you enjoy!

Edited by Ghost
  • Thumbs Up 3

1) First, you have to register for the game (free). I mention this specifically because a few people in the past have confused registering for the forums as the same as the game.
2) download the launcher. You can play on Windows, mac, and some have even done so on Linux.
3) fire up the launcher. If it's your first time, the launcher may take a while to download what it needs. IIRC, it'll eat up about 4-6GB of disk space. If you meant RAM when you asked for memory, then bare minimum will still work. (I play on a "vintage"--as my local technicians refer to it-- computer with 4GB RAM)
4) once the login screen is up, enter your user name and password from #1
5) pick a shard (Homecoming's term for server) to play on
6) create your character and knock yourself out.

I can't really go into "how" to actually play the character you created because that will be your own play style and idea of fun. But the basics are fairly standard. Use your keyboard and mouse to move around and interact with the environment, and click buttons to use your powers. The game itself loosely guides you through it in the early levels, but it's quite easy to pick up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just to clarify, you also don't need an optical drive (per huang3721's image).  Those specs are from the days when games were still shipped on compact discs and came with printed manuals, and downloading a 4-6GB game could take up to 3 days on a typical dial-up modem.

*sniff* I miss those days.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, TheOtherTed said:

Just to clarify, you also don't need an optical drive (per huang3721's image).  Those specs are from the days when games were still shipped on compact discs and came with printed manuals, and downloading a 4-6GB game could take up to 3 days on a typical dial-up modem.

*sniff* I miss those days.

“56K warning”

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TheOtherTed said:

downloading a 4-6GB game could take up to 3 days on a typical dial-up modem.

I remember when I had a dialup connection, and the ballpark figure I used was ten minutes per megabyte for download times... and now it's "20Mb file? I've got a minute; sure, I'll take a look"...

• Like 1

Ok first I need to explain the reasons for the post in the first place. I have a nephew who well I had the fortunate experience of bonding with him by letting him play and to this day he says this is the greatest game experience he has had in his childhood. So finding this is for his benefit. I told him about what you guys were doing and he has a few concerns or rather he had a few logical questions that I feel are only fair that get answered so here goes:

1. Is the sourcing legal

2. How do you stop the site from being hacked

3. How do you stop it from being free reign for tracking bots and trojans

4. How do I know if the download link is reputable and uncontaminated 

Sorry for the list but I want my nephew to play without anxiety

The game is not officially legal. The Homecoming team has talked to the publisher numerous times to enable what you see as being a thing. There are other groups of people doing similar. As long as these are done for non-profit, the publisher has no qualms with what is being done.

There is a team behind this site and effort and it is their responsibility to make sure 2-3 go smoothly. Honestly, I'm not sure I have seen a spam post, or at least one in ages.

I've used the download link three times across different computers including a work one, so yeah, I trust the link. Thousands of people have downloaded this version of the game. Roughly 1k of people play on the most popular server on a daily basis.

The biggest impact for playing the game will be having a dedicated graphics card. You can do so without, but certain maps and situations will raise issues if you are using an integrated card.

• Thumbs Up 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

5 minutes ago, savair said:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by not officially legal?

By running this game without permission from the IP owner the Homecoming team could be sued by the IP owner. That's not likely to happen though because the IP owner has known about Homecoming for years now and said nothing.

However, neither you, nor your nephew, can get in any trouble whatsoever for playing this game. If you're in the United States that is. If you're not in the US then I have no idea, you should talk to a lawyer who lives in your country.

And, just to clarify a few other things:

1 hour ago, savair said:

The Homecoming team uses Firewalls and professional network security software to prevent these from becoming an issue. Also, you'd be downloading the software from the same servers that the games are run on.

Short version: it's just not an issue.

Edited by PeregrineFalcon
Added another thought.
  • Thumbs Up 4

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 hour ago, savair said:

Ok first I need to explain the reasons for the post in the first place. I have a nephew who well I had the fortunate experience of bonding with him by letting him play and to this day he says this is the greatest game experience he has had in his childhood. So finding this is for his benefit. I told him about what you guys were doing and he has a few concerns or rather he had a few logical questions that I feel are only fair that get answered so here goes:

1. Is the sourcing legal

Sorry for the list but I want my nephew to play without anxiety

1. The sourcing is not legal. There has been "talks" (see my signature) regarding making it so, but that's where it's at currently. Not a legal expert, so take that with a grain of salt. It's the internet too, so who knows!

2. The forums are secured and so is your information, which amounts to an email address you link to the forum account (which also becomes your in game account, so don't share that information). The Homecoming volunteer team has volunteer developers, volunteer game masters, and volunteer staff to keep the lights on, all volunteering to volunteer their voluntary time. (Notice a theme)

3. The servers that the Homecoming folks use have security software to prevent these things. When you try to download the game, some times your security software will identify it as a trojan virus. It's not, and I'm not an expert to explain why, but I've played this game for three years and I'm still playing. 

4. Since everyone here is a stranger to one another, it's basically trusting strangers. But I'll tell you I haven't been let down at all in the past three years of playing and I've donated multiple times because it's a great team who cares about the community. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

10 hours ago, savair said:

1. Is the sourcing legal

Not really the right question.  The right question is, "Can I get in any trouble by playing this game?"  The answer is no.

10 hours ago, savair said:

The game is run by volunteers who do this kind of stuff for a living.  They adhere to professional standards and use professional security products.

• Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Hehehe, I remember being concerned about using a hot spot for an internet connection on my then ~4 yr computer.

Then an SG mate reminded me the game was created in the era when dial up was still a thing.  Ran as smooth if not smoother than my then state of the art 2012 era computer did back in the day

Computer died, the game lives on! 

Have fun and welcome to the game be you hero, villain or neither.

On 9/29/2022 at 1:46 AM, savair said:

How much memory is required to play the game and also how do you play it I just see a forum not a link to play the actual game.

If you're talking about hard drive space, it's about 7GB.  If you're talking RAM, then while the original specs are fairly low, (512MB IIRC), I'd recommend having at least 4GB, plus a dedicated graphics card with a further 1GB or more.  You can play the game only with integrated graphics, but it'll run very poorly, (there is a launch parameter you can use to improve performance, but it drastically simplifies the graphics quality in doing so).  I would suggest starting here regarding how to create a game account, get the launcher, and other relevant questions you may have.