A Picture of the Future

AyamSirias

1 hour ago, Fire Chief said:

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

No matter how many times you say it, that is not the definition of insanity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

13 minutes ago, roleki said:

No matter how many times you say it, that is not the definition of insanity.

No, it is not the regular definition of the word "insanity".

Einstein's witticism refers instead to the world of quantum mechanics where in fact you can do the same thing many times and get different results. Einstein initially had a rational view and didn't believe in the inherent unpredictability of the world. He found his sanity challenged until he accepted not everything could be neatly determined. Einstein Insanity is insanity from a different context, still related to madness or going mad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Digirium said:

No, it is not the regular definition of the word "insanity".

Einstein's witticism refers instead to the world of quantum mechanics where in fact you can do the same thing many times and get different results. Einstein initially had a rational view and didn't believe in the inherent unpredictability of the world. He found his sanity challenged until he accepted not everything could be neatly determined. Einstein Insanity is insanity from a different context, still related to madness or going mad.

And in that context, that would be a valid way to view it, except Einstein never uttered this quote, leading to the TRUE quantum insanity:  people continuously posting that quote with the misattribution, then my reflexive repudiation of it, followed by the inevitable third party reinforcement of the misattributed quote, followed by my repudiation of that reinforcement, with this transaction inventory tacked on at the end.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

33 minutes ago, roleki said:

And in that context, that would be a valid way to view it, except Einstein never uttered this quote, leading to the TRUE quantum insanity:  people continuously posting that quote with the misattribution, then my reflexive repudiation of it, followed by the inevitable third party reinforcement of the misattributed quote, followed by my repudiation of that reinforcement, with this transaction inventory tacked on at the end.

Rolecki: "No matter how many times you post that quote Einstein didn't F-ing say it!"

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Rolecki: "No matter how many times you post that quote Einstein didn't F-ing say it!"

It's not exactly Catch-22, but it's from that family: everything about the quote is so wrong it actually affects me physically, like nails on a chalkboard, to the point I compulsively MUST try and slay it on sight, but no matter how many times I do, it always resurfaces and it always will, thereby proving the quote is actually correct and I'm the insane one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, roleki said:

It's not exactly Catch-22, but it's from that family: everything about the quote is so wrong it actually affects me physically, like nails on a chalkboard, to the point I compulsively MUST try and slay it on sight, but no matter how many times I do, it always resurfaces and it always will, thereby proving the quote is actually correct and I'm the insane one.

I believe (and I make things up as I go along) my “quoting” you was in the same family of “thats not what he said but his meaning was similar” 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I believe (and I make things up as I go along) my “quoting” you was in the same family of “thats not what he said but his meaning was similar” 

Heh, I appreciated the paraphrasing.  I'll never know what it's like to be a misunderstood genius, but I'll accept any effort towards my not being a misunderstood idiot.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Don't watch that, watch this!  This is the heavy heavy monster sound!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Why do i play red side?

Because I'm EVIL 😈

• Like 2

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

4 hours ago, roleki said:

You know the one that really bothers me?

"You know what happens when you assume, don't you?"

I absolutely hate it when people say that, double hate when they say it in that &$%((# up sneering voice, as if somehow that ancient word game is some kind of nugget of wisdom instead of the messed up line of utter stupidity that it really is.

• Thumbs Up 4

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

44 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

You know the one that really bothers me?

I absolutely hate it when people say that, double hate when they say it in that &$%((# up sneering voice, as if somehow that ancient word game is some kind of nugget of wisdom instead of the messed up line of utter stupidity that it really is.

Ugh, never been a fan of that one, which is hollow enough rhetoric if left to stand on its own, but even moreso if the person using it goes on to state THEIR view of things.... based on assumptions they have made.  

As long as we're here, another one I hate is "It is what it is."  It's just empty calories, noise to make noise.  Though, it would be mildly funny as a placeholder amongst taxonomists.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Well, then, change the situation.

spacer.png

• Haha 8