Character max level is usually 26 to 30 now (for me)

Diantane

Under level 30 or so, every additional power is exciting and new.  It's like being a little kid and opening your Xmas stocking and getting toys and candy.

Over 35 or so, every additional power is helping you round out your character, probably with additional survival skills.  It's like getting pairs of socks in your Xmas stocking.

The question is:  are you the type of person to get mad that the socks aren't candy, or are you the type to say, "You know, I really do need a new pair of socks!"

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Over 35 or so, every additional power is helping you round out your character, probably with additional survival skills.  It's like getting pairs of socks in your Xmas stocking.

Powers are *nice* but slots are divine! Slots are like getting socks for Christmas, but finding them stuffed with little bottles of whiskey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

image.jpeg.3548b7cdf9c2a0aa136375c391653a22.jpeg

• Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

7 hours ago, Snarky said:

I am almost the exact opposite.  Unless it is a “project” with specific low level goals I farm a toon to high 20s to low 30s.  Then I respec them frontloaded for exemplar activity.  Then I start Posi 1,Posi2, Synapse, Tarikoss,…. You see the pattern.  This allows me to enjoy the toon on PUG teams, learning the powers as they come in.   I earn some merits and have  fun. Fun….like all the world is Saturday morning cartoon time!

• Get a couple application of 2x xp Booster after tutorial.
  • Run DFB. If this does not get you to level 8 then run the first mission from Matthew Habashy. 
  • Run Posi 1. This should get you past level 11
  • Run Posi 2. This will likely push you past level 20.
  • Run Synapse. Likely you will be around 24 or so.
  • Run Yin. Likely you are now level 26 or so.

No wasted time with farm and Task Force Commander is halfway done.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Under level 30 or so, every additional power is exciting and new.

I would say this varies drastically by AT or even powerset - many armor sets, for instance, have "boring" powers, that while useful in that they are necessary to keep your character on their feet, aren't visually impressive or "cool", whereas on something like a blaster, every new attack is an opportunity to beef up your attack rotation or pull off some impressive feat...

• Like 1

Aristicats!  Love it!

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

58 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

• Get a couple application of 2x xp Booster after tutorial.
  • Run DFB. If this does not get you to level 8 then run the first mission from Matthew Habashy. 
  • Run Posi 1. This should get you past level 11
  • Run Posi 2. This will likely push you past level 20.
  • Run Synapse. Likely you will be around 24 or so.
  • Run Yin. Likely you are now level 26 or so.

No wasted time with farm and Task Force Commander is halfway done.

Lol.  Enjoy your way.  I enjoy mine.  
1) I have extra slots to throw at level 1-15 powers which make thrm useful for Posi

2) if I start the TF run at low 30s and do all red/blue I pretty much 50 just doing content i would do anyway

3) even with farming nerf hammered it does not take long to get a toon to high 20 low 30s

• Like 1

Also, I encourage everyone to use my strategy of farming through the lower levels then running content.  

The recent changes make clear the Devs are not pro farm.   So, it is everyone’s responsibility to farm as much as they can.

Immanentize the Eschaton

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/20/2022 at 12:08 PM, Diantane said:

I do get some characters that I really like to play to 50 and beyond, but most of them used to get to 35 or 38 and be abandoned (especially with sentinels because their "epic" powers are more like noob junk). With the new power change, this abandonment level is now 26 to 30 (depends if I really want the last secondary power or not). This means that in two days from creation, the fun is over for that character and have to look for a new one (currently have 99 alts on my server). 

OK, so what's the "fun" of the character to you? Is it just powers? Are yours not *characters* you play with others - or solo - to get their own story, reactions, etc? Is this lower-level "finished-ness" a problem to you? Or are you just musing?

Just for a different perspective - Those of mine that get to 50 are the ones that "happen" to, basically. I enjoy them as *characters,* not powersets or numbers of slots or whatnot. Some stall out because they sort of belong in an area, or aren't just brought out as much. (More "guest stars" to the main storylines I have going. Or remakes of older characters that I already "know" and am redoing mostly for nostalgia, but since not everyone they were tied to are here, they level much more slowly.) Basically, for mine, 50's just a number they'll eventually reach. It's rare I have any sort of drive to get there (one was getting concentrated on *specifically* to do the incarnate mission arc in Cim, because who and what's fought there just fit her.)

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

interestingly worded as always, though i do actually agree

in my view CoH the game ends in the late 20’s.  in the lower levels powers matter, ATs have some definition and teamwork is often required to complete missions and TFs

after that it breaks off into 20 levels of button mashing where success is guaranteed, just get 8 people to mash those buttons

i have two 50’s which i have played a crazy amount over the last three years on high level content which has been really fun, but nothing beats that old school CoH feel

Edited by MoonSheep

On 12/20/2022 at 2:54 PM, Mayaedits said:

I guess I'm missing something other than your dislike for Sentinels? Is this a vent? Is this a suggestion for change?

Sentinals get a bad rap, personally i prefer a blaster but to each their own

Edited by Rahabina

• 2 weeks later

Its a trade off. The blaster does more damage, but they're more like a glass cannon. Whereas the sentinel can sit back surrounded by its defenses and built in mez protection.

Let's tally this up. I've got 6 blasters and 38 sentinels. None of the blasters made it to 50 and a few sentinels did. Which do you think I like better?

Doing more damage with a character doesn't matter if you play on teams. The bad guys are going down no matter what.

Edited by Diantane