Least favourite map?

MoonSheep

On 1/22/2023 at 7:46 AM, Snarky said:

But how many of you have experienced the time sink of the Arachnos “reactor room”.

Sweet jeebus, I'd completely forgotten about this map - and now I'm too angry and stressed to go to work.  Actually, I'm staying home because I'm sicker than two dogs (hence my spelling of "jeebus" with a lower-case "j"), but the anger and stress this map brings to mind isn't helping things.

On the flip side, though, my second most hated map is that office level where the elevator dumps you in front of a bifurcated corridor that loops back on itself, with nothing but an elevator on the other side.  No mobs, no side doors, no nothing.  I always feel deeply insulted by that one.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ulysses Dare said:

Many bad rooms here, particularly the Arcanos reactor room, but nothing tops the pain of the COT summoning portal room.

Good one!  I have had to TP people out of that room because they were literally trapped and unable to find the route back out.

12 hours ago, ZemX said:

Good one!  I have had to TP people out of that room because they were literally trapped and unable to find the route back out.

Oh yeah, those terrible CoT maps where at some point you enter a big room with like a temple inside of it, but to continue on the map, you have to go into part of the temple and then find the corridor that goes on...  I really hate those maps.

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• 5 months later

I'm surprised nobody has yet brought up that one room with several layers of water pools from the Fifth Column/Council set. I found it confusing to navigate due to the lighting making it harder to find the stairs leading either up or down, plus it's horrible for glowie hunting.

As for entire maps, I don't really like how the Arachnos bases are laid out. I don't even mind the aesthetics or the reactor room, but the fact that it's all just cramped hallways, with proper rooms only appearing as dead ends and containing nonsensical ledges with no stairs or ramps leading up to them.

• Like 1

1. CoT maps. Most likely to make me go, "So where the hell are they?" or "How do I navigate this thing?"

2. Cave maps. Because apparently making an underground fortress has to have the smallest tunnels.

3. Arachnos. I have no ideal who thought that's what a base should look like. They're so evil even they don't like them. There is a red side mission where you go in a cave which has actual spider webs and such in it, and I'm like, "Where the hell has this layout been?"

Office and warehouse maps aren't even great, but they are so above the rest it is almost like taking a breath just to see one.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

At lot of the big offenders have already been named, so I'll just add a couple more to the list!

Almost every outdoor map. I don't like them! It could be because I spend 99% of my time playing melee, but not having any structures to pull around is frustrating. There are rare exceptions, like the Mount Diable instance seen in missions like Stop Rikti Bombing.

Praetorian lab maps. The rooms are just too big. Also doesn't help that most of the time you're fighting stuff immune to herding like P!Clockwork or IDF. Solo they're mostly fine since I've learned some good herding spots, but in teams they are big snoozefests for me.

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

+1 on disliking the Orangebagel and Blue cake cave maps.

No redeeming qualities to them. Just time waster design to a completely unfair and unfun degree. Pretty sure their designer would fail a psych test.

The multi floor branching elevator Crey Lab maps are annoying, but they have *nothing* on the prior two.

• Thumbs Up 2

Have to say the one that frustrates me the most is the outdoor Factory Map that has about 8 levels of ramps on the outside and multiple levels inside. Always used for a defeat all Clockwork mission and you spend a ridiculous amount of time at the end looking for one Oscillator who is hovering 100' feet above you or a Cog who has fallen down between the ramps.

• Like 2

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

On 1/22/2023 at 4:22 AM, SteelRat70 said:

Not necessarily an individual map, but as it's clear that maps are made from joining bits together,

Way back at one of the meet&greet events at SDCC, I mentioned this to Positron -- that the mission maps were clearly stock modules stuck together -- and asked if it would be possible to get an editor that would allow players to assemble the modules into custom maps for AE; he said that the interface they had for doing that was too crude to be let out for general use, as it required absurd amounts of fiddly positioning to get the modules to connect properly. If you've ever been in a office map and come across a black wall across a corridor that you could walk through, then turn around and see the corridor you just left behind you, that's a rendering issue with the game engine that happens when the edges of two map modules aren't lined up precisely enough.

The blue caves are probably the worst but honorable mention to the Psych Ward map where you fight Sister Psych and Malaise. They took a lovely, easy to navigate office map and put ONE BILLION things in your way! I get stuck on the dam curtains constantly!

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

Grandville.

And Cake Room Caves

But mostly Grandville.  When CoV came out and I was leveling up the Munitions Mistress I was enjoying the different feel of many of the zones.  I was willing to accept big long haul maps like Nerva, or jumble ruble zones like Mercy outside the walls.

Then I arrived in Grandville and within less than five minutes I was like "I am never rolling another villain again", eff this place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 7/21/2023 at 11:36 AM, mistagoat said:

The blue caves are probably the worst but honorable mention to the Psych Ward map where you fight Sister Psych and Malaise. They took a lovely, easy to navigate office map and put ONE BILLION things in your way! I get stuck on the dam curtains constantly!

It's too bad they didn't make the curtains toss-able like the items grav powers throw.  It might get a little visually confusing then, but less of a navigation hazard.

On 7/21/2023 at 2:46 PM, 0th Power said:

Any arachnos tech map.  100000x worse than caves

If you're referring to the ones that are mostly black, I'd not been thinking of these, but yeah, I actively avoid them.  The dark-on-dark is just ridiculous.  Even my Dr. Nightlight can't illuminate them, and I tried to tune his look for bright white light.