SENTINELS !!!! SHOW THEM WHO YOU ARE !!!!

Heatstroke

/rant

To My Sentinel People... I'm tired of being in game and seeing people in chat talking bad about the Sentinel.

Its time for us to " show them who you are". 

The Sentinel as an AT is one of the most well rounded in the game and this is seriously underrated by many in the community. 

An example my Fire/Rad Sent was on a team lastnight with mostly blasters and scrappers fighting Level 54Carnies and Arachnos. And while the blasters were being stunned and held into oblivion and dying.. My Sentinel just kept trucking along.

A fully IOd and Incarnate Sentinel is something to behold IMO.  Sentinels can fill many roles. 

Damage dealer. not as much as the blaster... however the Sentinel never has to worry about being stunned, mezzed, or held so It can pump out damage consistently. And while the Sentinel Nuke doesnt do as much damage or hit as many targets, because of its reduced recharge it can easily be up at least every other mob.

The new Inherent is a solid debuff- Vulnerability

Vulnerability is Auto-Hit and ignores level differences.
Vulnerability debuffs the following:

Damage Resistance
    Defense
    Mez Resistance
    Stealth
    Resistance to Endurance, Endurance Discount, Recovery, Regeneration, ToHit, and Recharge

So we can help fill that Defender/Corruptor Debuff role a bit..

Many Sentinel builds can also take very good advantage of procs. Especially those sets that have holds. Great place for procs.

I have found often that my Sentinels are the Glue that holds a team together. 

Its Time.. SHOW THEM WHO YOU ARE..

/rantoff

Edited by Heatstroke
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

i have several Sent in different lvls,

i realy like the releaxed Playstyle, i simply dont care what enemys are comming.

Okay i am not as tough as an scrapper, and dont do as much Damage as a Blaster, but hey, i am in the middle of all.

And yes i am doing it, today i created an Assault Rifle / Willpower Sentinel 😄

We show em....

I applaud your enthusiasm, but I was fine with Sentinels even before the changes.

There are those that bad-mouth things simply because they like to to bad-mouth things; and those that bad-mouth things simply because "the numbers don't add up" - which come down to the same thing to me.

You know what? I'm playing a game to have fun and explore the system and what it can do. I really don't care if the numbers crunch to the highest possible value. I don't care if that is going on with my teammates either. I want to have fun running around with a bunch of heroes fighting together to save whoever, recover whatever, or just defeat the enemy in general (hopefully, by arresting them).

Those that feel they are L337 are going to bad-mouth other (characters, builds, archetypes, whatever) or claim how L337 they are. That is just part of being L337.

You aren't going to get rid of that by staging some kind of all Sentinel /e protest in Atlas Park (.... and, yeah, there is a history of /e protest in Atlas Park!)

Err...what date, time, and server is this protest in Atlas Park suppose to happen?!

Ghost_Widow_Emote_Protest.gif

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thanks 3

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

9 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I'd use them more if they filled some sort of niche other than "Single Target Tank Mage". I have two of them, both can survive quite a bit and one is fully Incarnate, so I have played them. But I have no idea what role they are supposed to fill. 

Like any other AT, how functional you are is dependent on power choices and your build.

For Example off the top of my head. My Fire/Rad Sentinel

Single target attacks- Flares, Fire Blast, Blaze, Blazing Bolt.

AoE attacks- FireBall, Fire Sword Circle, FireCages/Rain Of Fire Combo (I always use them together), Inferno, Ground Zero ( heavily Proc'd).  Pyronic from Incarnate

SO I can do a little bit of everything, Im not limited in my ability at all. And because I have more than One AoE, I can cycle them and always have something ready to use.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Braddack said:

i have several Sent in different lvls,

i realy like the releaxed Playstyle, i simply dont care what enemys are comming.

I started playing this game when I was 30 ish.. now im 50 ish.. I do enjoy the relaxed playstyle quite a bit !!

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I mostly find it weird that a ranged AT with low damage has a Single Target focus. It would be neat if they excelled at something that wasn't outdone by other ATs. They are easy to build up defense wise, so maybe they could handle a procced out build better. Can these things melt AVs and Giant Monsters? That might be worth testing, I make Giant Monster hunters. 

One thing I would like to know is if anyone who makes builds, and makes Sentinels, does anything unique with them in terms of slotting. Is there anything you can do with Enhancements that work better than other ATs? 

I WANT to like the AT but the lack of focus makes it difficult. 

This statement is really a microcosm of the AT itself..

because it cant do this.. or it cant to that.. Its not good..

There are MANY AT's that have trouble melting an AV or a GM solo. If thats the playstyle you are after then it makes sense to build what suits your playstyle.

But the dismissal of something as good or valuable, because it cant do something else.. seems weird to me..

None of my defenders can heal.. in fact the two defenders I play cant heal at all. Neither can my corruptors.. yet they have value because of the other things that they do.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

I have a Tanker that solos Giant Monsters. I'm not wondering frivolously. If the AT can be made to solo them then I can slot it. None of my hunters can solo Goliath War Walker, the Kronos Titan, or Seed of Hamidon but I have a Scrapper in the works. 

For a Sentinel I'd start with the easy ones: Kraken, Boomtown Babbage, and regular Eochai. 

The AT simply might not be suitable for your specific play style and that's ok.  My desire is to encourage people to play what they like,  and what they find fun rather than NOT play something because the " community " appreciate it.  The AT has advantages. Those might not fit your specific needs. And thats cool. Play what you like.

Ive never tried soloing a GM or AV.. on ANY of the 50 plus characters I have across every AT in the game ( i have at least one every AT at 50 fully IO'd, Incarnate build as that was one of my goals originally ), as that is not a play style I find interesting. I like getting on teams with people and running missions and TFs.

2 hours ago, Heatstroke said:

Yeah, I'm not standing there with a torch..

That's why I indicated /e protest instead of /e holdtorch.

I think a peaceful protest is better than trying to burndown City Hall.

protest torches.jpg

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Haha 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I had a Fire/SR Sentinel for a while, pre buff, but i scrapped it after a while due to boredom of it. Whilst it was quite survivable it took too long compared to other AT's to clear mobs making it vulnerable to more attacks. I felt a Corruptor or Defender and certainly a Blaster etc would be more effective solo or in a team.

I have recently made a Fire/Bio Sentinel and forgo any survival other than what Bio and an aggressive damage build brings. My aim is to have Blaster level dps, or close if possible but with weaker AoE due to lower targets. Bio will have heals and shields and add some dps. I could not go back to SR as it does not bring the extra dps that Bio has to an AT that is damage orientated and will compete with other damage AT's.

Will it be more effective and bring something new compared to Corruptors/defenders/Blasters in a team? probably not. The Sentinel is an easy AT to play though and hopefully it will be good enough to give me another viable choice of damage AT other than Blaster etc.  If not then i still have my Fortunata that also brings good team buffs.

Edited by Gobbledegook

Speaking as a Fire/Bio Sentinel player, there is something to be said for popping Ablative Carapace, popping Aim as you run in, and then letting lose with Inferno + Fireball once you arrive (throw in whatever aoe you might have grabbed from an Epic if you want).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Krimson said:

I have a Tanker that solos Giant Monsters. I'm not wondering frivolously. If the AT can be made to solo them then I can slot it. None of my hunters can solo Goliath War Walker, the Kronos Titan, or Seed of Hamidon but I have a Scrapper in the works. 

For a Sentinel I'd start with the easy ones: Kraken, Boomtown Babbage, and regular Eochai. 

Curious: what Scrapper combo are you using?

I find taking the fire or elec APP allows you to expand your abilities a bit by way of heal-other abilities, (doubly so if you're also rad armor).  That being said, you aren't quite tough enough and don't have the aggro management tools to be the main tank, lack the full-on support of a defender or corruptor, and may not have the all-out destruction a blaster brings to bear.  We're in the unenviable position of being "really good" but not exceptional...

Just now, Krimson said:

My Kronos buster is going to be Energy/Bio. It's only level 2 at the moment because I am still working on a farming Blaster first. I've met another hunter who claimed to be able to solo Seed of Hamidon with one and even gave me a video link, so that is the build I am going to try.

I'm not too sure about what primary I will use for the Monster Hunting Sentinel, but Rad and Dark are in the running. 

Just started my own Water/Regen Sent, and I’m loving it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2023 at 8:05 PM, Krimson said:

My Kronos buster is going to be Energy/Bio. It's only level 2 at the moment because I am still working on a farming Blaster first. I've met another hunter who claimed to be able to solo Seed of Hamidon with one and even gave me a video link, so that is the build I am going to try.

I'm not too sure about what primary I will use for the Monster Hunting Sentinel, but Rad and Dark are in the running. 

Something to consider for big game hunting might be beam rifle.  It can hit like a truck and it brings (pretty sure) Sentinel's only -regen via disintegrate.

I have a few beam Sentinel's and I'm always surprised at the single target damage they can dish out.  It does come off as a little END thirsty, so a secondary that can take that edge off might be a good idea.  Beam/bio and beam/stone can be a lot of fun if you're looking to push the damage capabilities a bit.

3 hours ago, evetsleep said:

Something to consider for big game hunting might be beam rifle.  It can hit like a truck and it brings (pretty sure) Sentinel's only -regen via disintegrate.

I have a few beam Sentinel's and I'm always surprised at the single target damage they can dish out.  It does come off as a little END thirsty, so a secondary that can take that edge off might be a good idea.  Beam/bio and beam/stone can be a lot of fun if you're looking to push the damage capabilities a bit.

Beam is good for sents, but everyone gets -regen on dis. Fenders get better -regen values(if it’s affected by mods, don’t recall),  but sents do get a nifty chain aoe thing

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

1 hour ago, Seed22 said:

Beam is good for sents, but everyone gets -regen on dis. Fenders get better -regen values(if it’s affected by mods, don’t recall),  but sents do get a nifty chain aoe thing

Just took a look and the defender version of Disintegrate has the same -regen as the others (-150%).

I only bring it up in the context of Sentinels (not comparing with other AT's) primaries and what might be good for fighting things that have enough HP to make -regen worth it.

On 1/26/2023 at 10:46 AM, Krimson said:

Can you do a DP/Bio? Cool thing about these power sets are the 6 options, 3 Primary, 3 Secondary. If debuffing is lacking, you can toss in some toxic, if control is lacking, some cold. Damage may not be amazing with DP, but could adapt a little.

Edited by Xoza

- Xoza Shadow (@Xoza)

Ordo Imperialis / Xoza.net

Everlasting / Excelsior

Arconu1MqVyK.png | Yuri'ko9E28NED.png | Xoza8lnHKLt.png | Nebulum3f2lHyL.png | NovaeZOOTsRk.png | Nebulae9sfLlss.png | ChellnFRzS1G.png | Rayn7KPkl2C.png | MendalarafBfruXW.png | TesliaHPucq9J.png | CybernetBlbsQUx.png | Teras Kasih1GKuZo.png | ArcstalkerXdnlqXI.png | Bull RushNG0EFBL.png

My Costume Archive | My Characters & CreationsMy Binds/Macros | My Club

30 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I mean, I just recently made a DP/Device Blaster which can farm at +4/x8, it's quite possible I could manage it on a Sentinel. 😄 Do you have one made already?

Yep, character is already made, around 30 or so.

- Xoza Shadow (@Xoza)

Ordo Imperialis / Xoza.net

Everlasting / Excelsior

Arconu1MqVyK.png | Yuri'ko9E28NED.png | Xoza8lnHKLt.png | Nebulum3f2lHyL.png | NovaeZOOTsRk.png | Nebulae9sfLlss.png | ChellnFRzS1G.png | Rayn7KPkl2C.png | MendalarafBfruXW.png | TesliaHPucq9J.png | CybernetBlbsQUx.png | Teras Kasih1GKuZo.png | ArcstalkerXdnlqXI.png | Bull RushNG0EFBL.png

My Costume Archive | My Characters & CreationsMy Binds/Macros | My Club

Someone commented that Sentinels are good for "cruise control" during a frostfire today. I noticed that honestly, I could skip ahead and nearly solo a mob before the rest of the team got there. 

I took that as a backhanded compliment, because well, I'm contributing a fair bit of damage, I'm not the least worried about any aggro I catch. I'm able to dive headfirst into a mob with no f's given. Is that really cruise control? I think tankers have a lazier feel than Sents, hands down.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1