Attuned IOs

Stupid question, but I know nothing about attuned IOs, how do you make an IO to be attuned rather than the usual leveled sort?

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

This is almost a /jranger.  :) 

So what, I take it and a recipe to a ... a what where?  Can I pull it on an already-crafted IO, or does it have to be done at the crafting process?

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

So the actual answer is that you buy an attuned IO on the market (either check the attuned category or do a sreach where min and max level are both 1). Basically regular IOs and attuned IOs share the same bucket for the market so the price of an attuned IO is the same as the price of a regular IO.

You can use catalysts to attune IOs but doing so is a waste of inf, the only use for catalysts is to upgrade ATEs to the superior version.

Defender Smash!

Enhancement Catalysts are a special salvage. You can get them with merits, from the market, or as a rare drop from enemies at 50. You attune an IO by slotting it, then using the enhancement combining window to combine it with a catalyst.

Thank you, now I finally know what those are.

Go have fun!

A couple of points missed from the last responses:

* To USE a catalyst you must slot the IO in question into your build and then use the time-honoured enhancement combination menu (by clicking the power itself in the enhancement menu) and using the IO and then the Catalyst to merge them together. The Attuned IO can be removed via respec or unslotter salvage.

* Attuning an IO can help maintain set bonuses when SK'ing while keeping their maximum enhancement benefit, but for special effect IOs, only global IOs will benefit from attuning as they require being no more than 3 levels below your own when SK'ing. Proc IOs will continue working well below their level so long as the power they are slotted into is in a usable state at the level you SK. This is why they recommend putting Heal/End-Mod IO procs into Health/Stamina because unlike say, [Physical Perfection] or any other auto-healing/end-mod power, those two are gained at Lv2 and thus SK-proof, anything else is not.

Something I've been mulling over...

If you've only got one pice of a given set in a power, there's no point to using an Attuned version, right?  ike sometimes I'll use a Mako's Bite A/D/E/R to help Frankenslot out a power.  If I'm not using any other pieces of Mako's Bite there's not a point to Attuning it, right?

Something I've been mulling over...

If you've only got one pice of a given set in a power, there's no point to using an Attuned version, right?  ike sometimes I'll use a Mako's Bite A/D/E/R to help Frankenslot out a power.  If I'm not using any other pieces of Mako's Bite there's not a point to Attuning it, right?

There are times where doing so is useful.  In your specific example of Mako’s Bite, probably not.  Mako’s Bite has a minimum enhancement level of 30, which means you can’t slot it before 27.  Even if you get a level 30 Mako’s Bite, it’s more efficient to add 5 enhancement boosters than to buy an attuned IO that scales with you up to level 50.

Now, if you’re a blaster using Detonation (perhaps to fill out the 6th slot when the other 5 slots are Positron’s Blast), it starts at level 20.  You can get an attuned Detonation IO at level 17, slot it, and never have to upgrade to get the full benefit all the way to level 50.  If you slot a level 20 non-attuned IO at 17, the bonus stays static instead of increasing as you level.

If you’re obsessed with squeezing out every last drop of efficiency from your build, you may replace it later. Use an enhancement unslotter when you’re at or near 50 and replace it with another IO that you then boost with enhancement boosters, and give that attuned IO to your next character who needs to slot a targeted AoE (or put it in your base for another SG member to use).

...when the other 5 slots are Positron’s Blast...

Hey, about that...

What do other folks use when they 5-slot PB?  In the past I've found myself skipping either the Dmg/Range, or the Proc piece.  Usually I'll then use a common Rchg IO for slot #6.

What do other folks use when they 5-slot PB?  In the past I've found myself skipping either the Dmg/Range, or the Proc piece.  Usually I'll then use a common Rchg IO for slot #6.

I generally skip the Dam/Range as well. Positron's blast is overslotted for damage so you want to skip one of the Dam/Something. You could potentially skip the Dam/Acc if you've got a high accuracy build but in general I'd only bother to do that with cones. I did have an AR/Dev Blaster back on live who skipped the Dam/End and made up for it with Cardiac but I wouldn't recommend that in general.

As for the 6th slot it depends on the power. My AR/Dev Blaster uses a generic range since Buckshot and Flamethrower benefit a lot from that. My Bots/Traps/Field Mastermind has the Overwhelming Force KB to KD proc because I tend to play in melee range and don't want Explosive Blast scattering enemies. My Time/Elec Defender doesn't have any Positron's but he does have a 5-slot Ragnarok in Thunderous Blast and he uses a Endurance Modification for the sixth slot.

Defender Smash!

IO's came along after I quit Live, and I've spent the last couple of days trying to make sense of enhancement sets and attuned IO's. My main question at this point is that if I am level 50 and considering a set that has a level range of say 30-50, is there any reason I wouldn't buy the attuned level 30 version? When I slot it, it should take on the attributes of the level 50 version, correct? And it should theoretically be cheaper, or does that not come into play due to the "bucketing" that takes place in the market?

IO's came along after I quit Live, and I've spent the last couple of days trying to make sense of enhancement sets and attuned IO's. My main question at this point is that if I am level 50 and considering a set that has a level range of say 30-50, is there any reason I wouldn't buy the attuned level 30 version? When I slot it, it should take on the attributes of the level 50 version, correct? And it should theoretically be cheaper, or does that not come into play due to the "bucketing" that takes place in the market?

So all levels and the attuned version cost the same because of the bucketing so there's no cost benefit to attuned or level 50.

The advantage of the Attuned version is that you'll keep the set bonuses when you exemplar down unless you exemplar more than 3 levels below the minimum level of the set. The advantage of the Level 50 version is that you can use Enhancement Boosters to increase the effectiveness of the enhancements by up to 25%.

So basically if you plan to use enhancement boosters on the enhancement then get the elvel 50 version. If you don't then get the attuned version. The exception to this is Purple sets and PvP sets since they keep thier set bonuses when exemplared anyway so you should just get the level 50 version.

Defender Smash!