Extra 0s

brasilgringo

My extra 0 woes almost always come from posting and having to eat the listing fee (x10).

I try to highlight the 1st number and change it to something else (ie 1,234,567 to 2,234,567) but I miss on highlighting and the cursor goes to the end of the window so the new value ends up being 12,345,672.

Edited by 0th Power
  • Like 2

In addition, I'm an "All sales are final" adherent.

Despite my diligence, I still make mistakes and I accept the losses. And if I sold something to an obvious extra-zero mistake, I'm keeping it. And if they find out I was the one who got their extra-zero Inf, even if it left them penniless, I'm not giving it back. Maybe if there was a software bug or database glitch, I'd relent. But not if someone fat-fingers a zero.

Separately and independent of that, when people express they are inf-poor in game and I think they're being honest about it, I send them money. And I spend my share of time in /help or /general explaining how to spend wisely and earn influence efficiently.

But I believe, that if a player is buying expensive things from the auction, things that take up a significant fraction of their wealth, it's on them to get it right. And better to learn that lesson firmly, and take it to heart, and be more careful in the future. This is part of the fun of the market game.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

• 1 month later
On 5/19/2023 at 4:24 AM, brasilgringo said:

We've all been there.  But I'd really like to thank whomever fat-fingered 50MM instead of 5MM for *2* of my Chance of Lethal IOs.  That's going right into the ol' college fund.🙏

image.png.41c2befa376be4abef28347da5fcfa84.png

But why level 10? PvP IOs are already Attuned...

Wait, its so you can slot it at level 7 isn't it? I answered my own question.... never mind. Ignore me.

36 minutes ago, Arbegla said:

Wait, its so you can slot it at level 7 isn't it? I answered my own question.... never mind. Ignore me.

They were selling it.  It's a level 10 because that's the cheapest crafting cost so cheapest to make from recipe.  Whoever bought it almost certainly bought it as an attuned or as a 50.

Also, PvPs can be attuned, but they are not all attuned.

Edited by Yomo Kimyata
but wait, there's more!
  • Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

• 4 weeks later
On 6/27/2023 at 7:10 PM, Arbegla said:

I'm just confused why people are slotting these at levels 7-10.  Nowadays we outlevel so fast. I'm guessing they turn off XP gain for some reason?  Clearly a corner of Paragon City I don't frequent.  Y'all fighting in the monkey cage or something?

14 hours ago, Techwright said:

I'm just confused why people are slotting these at levels 7-10.  Nowadays we outlevel so fast. I'm guessing they turn off XP gain for some reason?  Clearly a corner of Paragon City I don't frequent.  Y'all fighting in the monkey cage or something?

I'll generally buy attuned Panacea +, Shield Wall +, Glad Armor + asap and slot them as close to 7 as I can.  Attuned PvP IOs are the way to go until you hit 47+, and then I swap them out for lvl 50 ones and +5 them.  It's a marginal return, but it's something.

• Like 2

Who run Bartertown?

• 2 weeks later
On 7/20/2023 at 10:36 AM, Yomo Kimyata said:

I'll generally buy attuned Panacea +, Shield Wall +, Glad Armor + asap and slot them as close to 7 as I can.  Attuned PvP IOs are the way to go until you hit 47+, and then I swap them out for lvl 50 ones and +5 them.  It's a marginal return, but it's something.

You can boost PvPs?  Wonder if I k ew that. 

• 2 weeks later
On 8/4/2023 at 9:51 PM, Sakai said:

You can boost PvPs?  Wonder if I k ew that. 

IIRC, the game engine prevents boosting of (all, not just PVP) pieces that only offer %effects or global effects, but you can boost all the other pieces. It is possible to play converter roulette to roll a 50+5 PVP piece into one of the types that can't otherwise be boosted, but those will have a "red" border (normally identifying a piece as 'unslottable'.)

In my calculus, there are two reasons to boost (level 50) PVP pieces, as opposed to picking a different strategy (*1):

• The build is getting a PVP set bonus
  • A PVP piece is offering a combination of enhancement attribute boosts that aren't otherwise available

The Boosted PVP pieces I usually work into builds (mileage varies because of available powers) are similar to @Yomo Kimyata:

• Shield Wall Defense, Defense/Endurance (because I will be using the global)
  • Gladiator's Armor Resistance, Resistance/Endurance (because I will be using the global)
  • Javelin Volley Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge (Ranged AoE %damage attacks, accompanying the %Lethal proc)
  • Gladiator's Net Accuracy/Hold, and typically Accuracy/Recharge (Holds take a LOT of %damage, and the set bonuses form PVP are IMO better with fewer pieces than with other sets. I do like the Superior Entomb Accuracy/Hold/Endurance piece if the Hold is being spammed.
  • Experienced Marksman (5 pieces only, no "Fast Snipe" piece), when the Snipe is taken at a low level and I am not using an alternate set in the power.

Panacea pieces (other than the global) always get boosted, but my build will typically need something like at least two healing/absorb powers (besides Health) requiring slots before I know I'll be using more than just the global from this set. Mileage varies of course. The Healing/Absorb sets are in a weird spot in my head: Numina's Convalescence is a set that seems tailor-made for high-HP characters, Preventive Medicine has great 5/6-piece bonuses, and of course the Miracle and Regenerative Tissue sets set have a useful Global +pieces.

(*1) Alternate slotting strategies include:

1. Simply boosting lvl 50 IOs (for cases where the PVP piece only enhances a single attribute)
  2. Llvl 53 HOs/DSyncs
  3. Attuned "Superior" ATOs or Winter pieces
  4. Using a lower rarity (and lower cost!) piece that offers the exact same enhancement potential as a PVP

1,4 are cheaper options... and the enhancement gap between a 50+5 dual piece and (the same combination) 53 Hami-O is pretty thin.

2: "Identical" 53 Hami-O's offer higher enhancements because they start higher at 50, but the costs are higher.

3, 4: I always keep an eye out for pieces that offer a combination that doesn't exist in another form. This is obvious with (some) Hami-O/Dsync pieces, but I'm always amazed that there are so few Accuracy/Endurance pieces (not counting Pet/Henchmen enhancements) available at level 50 (to be boosted). A personal favorite is Multi-Strike: Accuracy/Endurance for Melee AoE %damage builds.

• Like 4

On 7/20/2023 at 12:36 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

I wish you could just enhance attuned IOs even if it meant losing attuned quality

• 5 months later
On 5/26/2023 at 5:05 PM, Andreah said:

In addition, I'm an "All sales are final" adherent.

Despite my diligence, I still make mistakes and I accept the losses. And if I sold something to an obvious extra-zero mistake, I'm keeping it. And if they find out I was the one who got their extra-zero Inf, even if it left them penniless, I'm not giving it back. Maybe if there was a software bug or database glitch, I'd relent. But not if someone fat-fingers a zero.

Separately and independent of that, when people express they are inf-poor in game and I think they're being honest about it, I send them money. And I spend my share of time in /help or /general explaining how to spend wisely and earn influence efficiently.

But I believe, that if a player is buying expensive things from the auction, things that take up a significant fraction of their wealth, it's on them to get it right. And better to learn that lesson firmly, and take it to heart, and be more careful in the future. This is part of the fun of the market game.

We newbs appreciate you. I got a lucky break on a enhancement drop that the history showed sold for a mil. Didn't have enough to cover a high inf post so went for the old 1 inf low cost post....bit me in the butt. Sold immediately for a grand total of 111 inf. Haha live and learn.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WuTang said:

We newbs appreciate you. I got a lucky break on a enhancement drop that the history showed sold for a mil. Didn't have enough to cover a high inf post so went for the old 1 inf low cost post....bit me in the butt. Sold immediately for a grand total of 111 inf. Haha live and learn.

List the next one at 112! :D

Over time, you start seeing "magic" numbers in sales histories. 111, 1111, 12222, 55555,  123456, 10000001, and so on. Try to post things for sale just above one of those, and you get a better chance of it not being sniped instantly. Also, if you get several of a thing, post one really low first, as a 'trial balloon'. Then post the rest just over the instant snipe price the first one got.

And for heaven's sake, when you bid on things double- , triple- even!, -check your number before you click the button! :D

• Like 1