Spamming chat with what you are listening to.

What we need a clear and concise outline of what global channels are or are not to be used for.  I get that we can ignore anyone we don't like, but perhaps what we need is a way to silence someone only for a particular channel...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, biostem said:

What we need a clear and concise outline of what global channels are or are not to be used for.

I know there's been some debate over this outlook, but I propose using the names of the channels as a guide. I can't imagine a clearer or more concise method than that.

In the case of this particular topic, I'd say as long as it's kept to General and not, say, Help or LFG, hey, go nuts, kids.

1 hour ago, biostem said:

I get that we can ignore anyone we don't like, but perhaps what we need is a way to silence someone only for a particular channel...

Or maybe a temporary mute that doesn't permanently ignore the person but does silence them for some amount of time? An hour, a day, a week, I don't know. Just because I don't feel like dealing with someone right now doesn't mean I won't change my mind (or they won't change their behavior) later or in a different situation.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

2 hours ago, Mjolnerd said:

Or maybe a temporary mute that doesn't permanently ignore the person but does silence them for some amount of time? An hour, a day, a week, I don't know. Just because I don't feel like dealing with someone right now doesn't mean I won't change my mind (or they won't change their behavior) later or in a different situation.

This would be ideal, as I would like to only ignore someone for being an a** or REALLY spamming chat.

6 minutes ago, biostem said:

I wonder if some sort of "community mute" function, where if enough people choose to mute a person, they get muted for all, for like 4 hours or something, would be abused...

Of course it would get abused

Id like a function where you could mute someone, and notate why - that person would then get notified as to the reason

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, biostem said:

I wonder if some sort of "community mute" function, where if enough people choose to mute a person, they get muted for all, for like 4 hours or something, would be abused...

It's not impossible to abuse something like that, but depending on the specific implementation it could be made very difficult. Like, needing to organize dozens of people difficult. Which would probably make actually performing the abuse more trouble than it was worth.

21 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Id like a function where you could mute someone, and notate why - that person would then get notified as to the reason

Oof, no. Ever seen what happens when a post in a Facebook group gets removed by a moderator? Invariably the person who had their post moderated reacts by taking the oh-so-mature route of immediately making another post, throwing around baseless accusations of "abuse of power" and angrily and publicly demanding that the mods explain why their previous post was removed. (Hint: the answer is always "because it broke the rules, genius.")

Mute notifications would only lead to the muted parties spamming the chat to whine and complain about the report, trying to play it off as both not caring, and as the other person being some kind of weak, thin-skinned loser who needs to just get over it. And then everybody else would have to mute them in chat too. What absolutely wouldn't happen is the person who was acting like a douchecanoe in the first place deciding not to do that anymore. They might also decide to single out the person they presume sent it (even if it's anonymous, they'd probably figure it out based on pushback they got in the channel before the mute came through) and trying to harass them.

Edited by Mjolnerd
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

it better not be an encoding of insurgent coordinations. it isnt, its too infrequent to represent anything other than named actor(s) selection criteria or something like radio frequency channel options. *bandwidth of interchange too low, unless multiplexed with lyrics or waveform of song, or location of recording studio, other else).  too tenuous. unlikely.

other than that, id not make it a concern.

i would put nothing past the domestic insurgent. and foreign insurgents, in times past, have used world of warcraft for mild coordinations. 

you could get map topograph similitudes there on /loc.  could in paragon too, what cross section should the xyz happen at at <selection> from seemingly disconnected subject matter post.

worry if they start rapidly spewing encrypted baseN strings to coh chat.  

its only useful as its deeply obfuscated as a channel, inoquous to access, and hides in plain sight within.  wind whispers.

is it this, or is it people sharing music, people overreacting, then an upsurge to take the piss?

there was an upsurge of music track posts to general yesterday.

yes... suspicious...

-- honoroit, the vigilant

Edited by honoroit
  • Confused 3

I associate some fraction of the desire to share a "what I am listening to now" to the rewarding/reinforcing dopamine response of the nucleus accumbens to the external stimulation by music interplaying with the highly-active cerebellum for motor control necessary for gamer play and the active pre-frontal cortex used for social interaction in a MMORPG. But I'm not that kind of doctor.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, biostem said:

It would.

And I'd rather not have someone I may not mind suddenly be muted for me because Chuckles Mchcucklalot and his buddies don't like them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

To be fair, if I listened to a lot of the shite enjoyed by the player base, the last thing I'd do is advertise it. But that's just me and my elite musical appreciation 😇

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

It’s either they think that they are that important and people actually give a crap or they are looking for an atta boy. Par for the course in today’s ridiculous online life. I play and have fun regardless 

• Thumbs Up 3

37 minutes ago, cotesan said:

It’s either they think that they are that important and people actually give a crap or they are looking for an atta boy. Par for the course in today’s ridiculous online life.

Or they're using it as in icebreaker, attempting to start a conversation and establish common ground with their fellow human beings:

"I'm listening to [band] right now."
"Oh, cool, I'm a fan of [band] too, what do you think of their new album?"

But hey, speaking of "par for the course in today's ridiculous online life," let's just assume the worst of everyone. Makes it much easier to look down our noses despite not knowing them.

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Mjolnerd said:

Or they're using it as in icebreaker, attempting to start a conversation and establish common ground with their fellow human beings:

"I'm listening to [band] right now."
"Oh, cool, I'm a fan of [band] too, what do you think of their new album?"

But hey, speaking of "par for the course in today's ridiculous online life," let's just assume the worst of everyone. Makes it much easier to look down our noses despite not knowing them.

if it were a one off, I'd suggest you make a good point but that doesn't seem to be the way it works. I also think that most people would be more game focused in breaking ice: "Hey I'm trying to make this ice/cream toon work but I keep getting melted, any suggestions please?" would be better suited.

One of the issues we have in Homecoming is that most people have seen the rabbit, chased the rabbit, shot the rabbit and eaten rabbit pie. Everyone is a veteran except for those who are totally new to the game (who should be nurtured IMO) - so the public chats are kind of "yawn, we've done everything, how shall we communicate now?"

/em spits out a few shotgun pellets and a rabbit bone

• Like 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

2 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

if it were a one off, I'd suggest you make a good point but that doesn't seem to be the way it works. I also think that most people would be more game focused in breaking ice: "Hey I'm trying to make this ice/cream toon work but I keep getting melted, any suggestions please?" would be better suited.

That's more of a Help channel discussion, isn't it? General chat is for, well, general chatting.

For what it's worth, last night my team spent an entire TF conversing about music and all I did was show up with a character whose name vaguely reminded someone of a song title. It's a subject that gets people talking.

• Thumbs Up 1

I spam if I’m looking for a PL. I spam every channel. I get complaints probably about once a month. I usually ask for a PL every Sunday. So in the big picture most people don’t care.

The reason I Spam every channel is because not everyone PLs in the same zone. Not everyone who PLs reads the same channel.

If it bothers you, the game has a mute/ignore button. Go ahead and use it. I encourage those who complain to me about my spam to do so. 

Here is the thing. I run a lot of TFs and call out a good number of Giant Monsters. Sometimes those people who have me muted are also the people who want to join my teams. So good luck with that if you choose to put me on ignore.

Im a day one player and have been playing almost constantly for 19 years now. Sometimes the people who bitch about spamming are just people who want a little bit of control in their lives. If I suggest they put me on ignore they just bitch even more. However, sometimes if I explain my situation it leads to a new friend.

Of those who do care, and want me to stop spamming, I explain that I have been playing far longer than they have. I played before they started and most likely will still be playing long after they are gone. This additional bit of information is usually enough to get those people to shut up.

Are there types of spam that bother me? The people who jump on and just bitch about what an awful game CoH is and how empty the servers are. Those are the spammers I can’t stand. Do I mute them? No, because I’ve bee playing long enough to know they won’t be playing much longer.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 4

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

The posting of what they're playing isn't terribly annoying, since is isn't very frequent. (Though, if I was listening to Apollo 18 on shuffle and posted everything that popped up from Finger tips, I think that would get on people's nerves) but I understand why people find it annoying when the person posting the playlist is just doing that and not really participating in conversation in any other manner.

A shared playlist can be fun, it's an attempt to bring the community together in a way, and Paragon Radio was fun at times, especially since it was a way to get introduced to new music (outside of playing Rock Band). But when I'm actually doing stuff it is hard to search for a song, find a version, start playing it, and go back to missions.

5 hours ago, Arc-Mage said:

Sometimes the people who bitch about spamming are just people who want a little bit of control in their lives

love this post, could not agree more and ty for describing your chat experience .. as a player trying to actually fruitfully use comms channels in game... as opposed to bitching in etiquette of segregations.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Mjolnerd said:

That's more of a Help channel discussion, isn't it? General chat is for, well, general chatting.

For what it's worth, last night my team spent an entire TF conversing about music and all I did was show up with a character whose name vaguely reminded someone of a song title. It's a subject that gets people talking.

Well I was offering an alternative reason for the chat but if you're taking my response so literally perhaps if the fictitious player in question was struggling, maybe they didn't know of the existence of the help channel.

Sure, people do enjoy chatting about music, which is fine - I've got a number of music related characters myself, not limited to Earth Wind and Fire and Spandex Ballet - but that's a conversation, not simply spamming chat with the tune their listening to.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Where I tend to see this is in MSRs - which at least on Everlasting are mostly big social affairs. Given we also have quite a few clubs and people who DJ at them, not to mention general music and other cultural references, it'd be much more likely to have music or movie chat than "Who has a bulid?"

13 hours ago, Panache said:

I’m honestly surprised that people don’t delete General Chat from their tab as soon as they log in and set up their UI. Like, why?

This. it's the first thing gone, and the times I forget to, it usually takes less than a minute of looking at it to remember why I delete it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

29 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Where I tend to see this is in MSRs - which at least on Everlasting are mostly big social affairs. Given we also have quite a few clubs and people who DJ at them, not to mention general music and other cultural references, it'd be much more likely to have music or movie chat than "Who has a bulid?"

Fair point. Perhaps it's noticeable because Excelsior is such a successful server and thus almost always busy and active.