Voice of the City?

Techwright

Let's say the unexpected happens and someone makes an animated series of City of Heroes, an anthology of sorts with the stories of different characters.  Like Marvel's animated What If...?  series, there'll be a guide/narrator, a friendly personality, someone who is the natural person to introduce the uninitiated and who knows all there is to tell of Paragon City.   What character in the lore do you think comes closest to that role, basically the Voice of the City?

I've a thought but I'll withhold it to see what others say first.

A rando beat cop. Someone who just happens to be on the scene of all these different stories. Have it be a "view from outside the box" take on things.

• Like 5

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

2 hours ago, Skyhawke said:

A rando beat cop. Someone who just happens to be on the scene of all these different stories. Have it be a "view from outside the box" take on things.

This. I'd do it like Kurt Busiek did in Astro City's Local Heroes (specifically the story of Pete Donacek, the doorman).

PeteToTheRescue.jpg

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

As an unusual option: Nemesis. Basically the narration is a rant about the stupid pretenders, red and blue side. And we know Nem actually does have his grubby paws in EVERYTHING.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

53 minutes ago, cranebump said:

As an unusual option: Nemesis. Basically the narration is a rant about the stupid pretenders, red and blue side. And we know Nem actually does have his grubby paws in EVERYTHING.

Okay I like this. Whoever it is on the surface, the final twist is that the person is revealed (subtly) as a Nemesis Automaton.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Dark Watcher

This is a surprisingly interesting choice.  As one who has been both in the past of the city and the present, and has both mystery and a pulse, I could see this.  For me, it doesn't hurt that one of the possible voices I associate with him is Jeffrey Wright aka "The Watcher" in the MCU.

5 hours ago, JasperStone said:

Manticore would be hilarious.

The vitriol in his voice for the heroes with powers ... lol

Yeah, I can't see him as a neutral storyteller.  I'm just glad no one has suggested Ms Liberty, yet.  I thought that might happen due to her work with the "uninitiated" as I previously put it in the OP.  I personally find her too polarized in viewpoint to handle the task.

4 hours ago, GreyScribe said:

I think having a Taxibot as the voice of the City would be a nice nod to the volunteers from the Live game as well a being an obvious choice for someone with their finger on the pulse of Paragon City.

I'd not considered one of the "faceless" masses from the city when thinking on the question, but this and the other such comments have me thinking that might be a great thing, especially if they took turns as narrators.

7 minutes ago, furniturepolish said:

DJ Zero maybe? He's a mover and a shaker.

True, and like Dark Watcher, he seems to have a finger on the pulse of all.  It's an interesting choice, though I'd imagine he'd be a louder choice than Dark Watcher.

1 minute ago, Saeletra said:

Radio Free Opportunity would be the perfect voice. With cheeky commentary by TV.  Red side Represent!

I could see that for Red Side stories.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Saeletra said:

Radio Free Opportunity would be the perfect voice. With cheeky commentary by TV.  Red side Represent!

A regular podcast with Radio, Television and HD

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.