Bigotry and Racism

mechahamham

2 minutes ago, honoroit said:

see maybe its me being extremely unlucky, but that is not the play experience i encounter every day or two - an event like the racist post swarm IS exceptionally rare.

however, snide remarks, targeted xenophobia (see pandas, what ine does to pandas, what one wants to do to pandas, how one burns pandas in a pit... its regular enough to have me wondering if everlasting is free of this)

a thin shroud, and the same offenders (probably) i dont want to filter them, because they announce on public channels and this ends up hurting a lot of people.

i want to see it when it happens, scold them, report them if an issue can be contrived,  and i want it to go away.

Maybe this boils down to what you consider to be bigoted and racist. This day and age, everyone has a different definition of bigoted and racist. So that might be why you are seeing bigoted and racism where others are not, you may have a wider definition and concept of bigoted and racist behavior than others do. Just one small possibility that could explain why some only see it rarely where you see it every other day.

9 minutes ago, honoroit said:

see maybe its me being extremely unlucky, but that is not the play experience i encounter every day or two - an event like the racist post swarm IS exceptionally rare.

however, snide remarks, targeted xenophobia (see pandas, what ine does to pandas, what one wants to do to pandas, how one burns pandas in a pit... its regular enough to have me wondering if everlasting is free of this)

a thin shroud, and the same offenders (probably) i dont want to filter them, because they announce on public channels and this ends up hurting a lot of people.

i want to see it when it happens, scold them, report them if an issue can be contrived,  and i want it to go away.

Having suffered through WoW during PandaLand (which was when CoH did flight into terrain) I am no fan.  But I honestly have noticed no pattern to it.  Granted I am playing more WoW again so not here as much.  Still....when i was playing every day a lot (up to a month ago)...not the case.

And for the real life question, I take you to an expert:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, honoroit said:

Is "panda" code for something?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

17 minutes ago, The Chairman said:

Is "panda" code for something?

as i have stated many times I am generally clueless.  BUT always willing to speak up 🙂 

Panda may refer to WoW expansion, and the love/hate that can engender .  (mostly hate that I have seen)

It may be a specific reference to the generic Furry thing

It may just be a word someone ignorant stumbled across and saw it triggers peeps so they spam it.  (in my opinion as likely as any other possibility)

The "panda hate" thing was simply started by 1 guy that wanted to start a class war between the various panda toons and the sudden explosion of penguin toons on Excelsior. I wouldn't consider that real racism, even if that 1 guy is incredibly persistent in trying to make it a thing.

• Haha 4

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

1 minute ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

The "panda hate" thing was simply started by 1 guy that wanted to start a class war between the various panda toons and the sudden explosion of penguin toons on Excelsior. I wouldn't consider that real racism, even if that 1 guy is incredibly persistent in trying to make it a thing.

sounds more like pandamonium

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

Nor would any sane person.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Snarky said:

sounds more like pandamonium

Sounds like a Vhaz plan to create a pandamic.

• Haha 2

Currently playing as:

Daughter of Crom | War Mace | Energy Aura | Scrapper 👊

Special Circumstance | Assault Rifle | Devices | Blaster 💣

/ Excelsior

it is probably referring to people from a part of the world... 

when you say 'put xyz in a pit', 'string up abc' you don't need vast intellect, nor to be possessed of a madness, to see a malaise.

Edited by honoroit
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I'm sorry but I am beyond confused now.  Penguins and Pandas are a negative thing now?  They are literally  my favorite animals at the zoo.  Probably more so the penguins than pandas.  I'm shooketh. 

If this is what started all of this talking about Pandas and Penguins, I would have 10000000000% missed it in chat.  

How many racist conversations have I been missing all this time?  Wait- I themed a character after a penguin and panda for a couple of my toons.  Am I....???  Oh no.

Just now, Crossie said:

I'm sorry but I am beyond confused now.  Penguins and Pandas are a negative thing now?  They are literally  my favorite animals at the zoo.  Probably more so the penguins than pandas.  I'm shooketh. 

If this is what started all of this talking about Pandas and Penguins, I would have 10000000000% missed it in chat.  

How many racist conversations have I been missing all this time?  Wait- I themed a character after a penguin and panda for a couple of my toons.  Am I....???  Oh no.

did you talk about putting pandas in a pit and setting them aflame?

or bbqing them?

or starving them?

<place word> <insulting text> ===> non-culpable?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, honoroit said:

or bbqing them?

or starving them?

No I said I look at them at the zoo.  I would never feed one though.  I don't think that is starving them though. 

Edited by Crossie

4 minutes ago, honoroit said:

or bbqing them?

or starving them?

So all of this is seriously about panda/penguin jokes? Seek help.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, honoroit said:

should the astartes have shot the inquisitor in the head?

To limit the amount of information that could be extracted from his mind, and to prevent his body and abilities from being used against the Retibutors and their ship, yes. The WH40K universe is a particularly extreme example of the 'eldritch horrors subjugating or destroying humanity' trope, and ruthlessly sacrificing compromised personnel is all in a day's work.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had to look up “edgelord” and “4chan”. Learned something new! 

Man, “edgelord” is way too cool sounding of a word to describe the type of people it references. Similar to “Starlord” in cool-soundingness.  LOL 

The only thing I have to add to this conversation is a few slash commands:

/ignore

/petition

19 minutes ago, honoroit said:

it's pretty much akin to calling COVID-19, the 'China virus'.  its a type that does, that whole counter-culture a prior poster mentioned.

the 'deplorables', others would say.

spacer.png

You're citing a woo woo Australian tabloid rag there to bolster your thoughts in this thread.... so...

1 hour ago, The Chairman said:

It's official. This guy is just delusional.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Sanguinesun said:

You're citing a woo woo Australian tabloid rag there to bolster your thoughts in this thread.... so...

the quality of the paper may be awful - and to point, why do you think they spelled something about covid as pandAmonium?

its that which appeals to the kind that do the same in public channels on excelsior.

'woo woo'? ignorant, knowing of it and rolling about in it. yes, unfortunately.

• Haha 1

It is the nature of dog whistles that those who are listening for them can hear them, and those who are ignorant of the usage think, "that whistle doesn't make any sound".

If "panda" is being used as a dog whistle for attacking Asians, I find that very plausible. 

The use of dog whistle language is a particularly ugly kind of cowardice. Those who do it want everyone to know what they are doing, but not to be able to call them out.

Seems to be working, to judge by the comments in this thread that amount to, "that whistle doesn't make any noise, you must be delusional."

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, momentarygrace said:

It is the nature of dog whistles that those who are listening for them can hear them, and those who are ignorant of the usage think, "that whistle doesn't make any sound".

If "panda" is being used as a dog whistle for attacking Asians, I find that very plausible. 

The use of dog whistle language is a particularly ugly kind of cowardice. Those who do it want everyone to know what they are doing, but not to be able to call them out.

Seems to be working, to judge by the comments in this thread that amount to, "that whistle doesn't make any noise, you must be delusional."

It is still possible for someone to cry wolf, even if somewhere, sometime, there actually is/was a wolf.