Less restrictive Power Pools & additional enhancement slots

Raikao

I just wanted to fly without a jetpack.  I Like all my other powers.  I use all the other powers on my Scrapper.   I even took and use Elude and Warrior's Challenge.  

So i wanted to not have punch or kick, so i could fly without a finite, immersion breaking costume altering temporary power.  I wasn't going to shatter the game by taking a power that gives a tiny amount of defense to my soft-capped scrapper.  It might have let me travel places i cant use infiltration to reach slightly faster.  

I suppose this doesn't qualify as lateral expansion, but i guess i needed vertical expansion instead.

I'm not entitled.  I'm not trying to shatter records for completing things.  Flying vs an attack i neither slot, nor use, will not help me take down a gm av or pylon faster.

I dont like the assumption behind my motives for asking for this, specifically for the fighting pool, but i dont slot or use maneuvers either even though i run tactics at all times.  

I think some people, who metagame, worry more about what someone could do instead of what they would.

And all i wanted, was to fly.

Now, i know the obvious answer has to do with trade offs and hard choices.  My reply is that it doesn't have to be.

But the suggestion forum cartel convey the appearance, whether intentional or not, that they are protecting the game from our wild ideas because it will destroy everything, and that zeal comea across as unwelcoming, and has a tone that contains "no, stupid.  Because we said so.  Because we know better than you.  Because your idea is so bad, it will literally lead to the destruction of the game.  If you don't like it, leave "

And thats fucked up.  And thats why some of you have, whether earned or unearned, gotten the reputations that you have.  You make me not want to log into the forums.  You make me not want to test on the beta.  You make me want to not log in to the game.

All because i wanted to fly.

So, in the hopes that my part of this request will no longer be seen as a sinister plot to destroy the city with my powermad dreams of...power, im gonna fucking bow out of this.

• Thumbs Down 2

5 minutes ago, Aracknight said:

I just wanted to fly without a jetpack.  I Like all my other powers.  I use all the other powers on my Scrapper.   I even took and use Elude and Warrior's Challenge.  

So i wanted to not have punch or kick, so i could fly without a finite, immersion breaking costume altering temporary power.  I wasn't going to shatter the game by taking a power that gives a tiny amount of defense to my soft-capped scrapper.  It might have let me travel places i cant use infiltration to reach slightly faster.  

I suppose this doesn't qualify as lateral expansion, but i guess i needed vertical expansion instead.

I'm not entitled.  I'm not trying to shatter records for completing things.  Flying vs an attack i neither slot, nor use, will not help me take down a gm av or pylon faster.

I dont like the assumption behind my motives for asking for this, specifically for the fighting pool, but i dont slot or use maneuvers either even though i run tactics at all times.  

I think some people, who metagame, worry more about what someone could do instead of what they would.

Now, i know the obvious answer has to do with trade offs and hard choices.  My reply is that it doesn't have to be.

But the suggestion forum cartel convey the appearance, whether intentional or not, that they are protecting the game from our wild ideas because it will destroy everything, and that zeal comea across as unwelcoming, and has a tone that contains "no, stupid.  Because we said so.  Because we know better than you.  Because your idea is so bad, it will literally lead to the destruction of the game.  If you don't like it, leave "

And thats fucked up.  And thats why some of you have, whether earned or unearned, gotten the reputations that you have.  You make me not want to log into the forums.  You make me not want to test on the beta.  You make me want to not log in to the game.

So, in the hopes that my part of this request will no longer be seen as a sinister plot to destroy the city with my powermad dreams of...power, im gonna fucking bow out of this.

Nobody is stopping you from having both Fly and the Fighting pool… 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Aracknight said:

I wouldn't chalk up dissenting opinions as a conspiracy of some forum cartels. You clearly have a preferred outcome for this suggestion and others do too. I'm glad we get to discuss our opinions in a civil manner and offer suggestions to make this community better. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

Nobody is stopping you from having both Fly and the Fighting pool… 

I think his issue is that he doesn't have any open power slots to grab Fly. 

To that end I think it would be perfectly fine for there to be a temp power equivalent in strength to the temp jetpack but without the jetpack model. There would be no combat/stat advantage to this, just a visual difference. 

Edited by FupDup
  • Thumbs Up 2

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

Just now, FupDup said:

To that end I think it would be perfectly fine for there to be a temp power equivalent in strength to the temp jetpack but without the jetpack model. There would be no combat/stat advantage to this, just a visual difference. 

Yeah that sounds reasonable. 

10 minutes ago, Aracknight said:

Other threads on this very forum have led me to believe that this isn't reasonable at all.  Here's one.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/14187-suggestion-non-visual-rocket-pack-prestige-flight/

Maybe not, but, considering you can’t enhance the temp power, AND there’s already an identical temp power with a different look? I would rather you get that than the alternative of adding power choices, removing prerequisite requirements, or adding enhancement slots. The latter is shitty design for a game that is already easy. 

(Sure, I might ultimately prefer the third option: learn to make hard choices in your build and keep the flight pool as important as it is now…)

Edited by arcane

44 minutes ago, Aracknight said:

Uhm... what does that have to do with this thread's discussion?

6 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Uhm... what does that have to do with this thread's discussion?

Getting rid of a prerequisite gives me a power choice. I.e. the theme of the thread.  A post i made was quoted.  I responded.  I mean, if that's ok with you.

Edited by Aracknight
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Aracknight said:

So if you don't need it (edit: weave, to be clear,) take fly instead of the power pool (fighting) you yourself said you don't need on your softcapped scrapper. You obviously don't need the fighting pool, from your own admission here.

Problem solved. You now have fly. Hover, too, if you want that +def and/or LOTG mule, since you're not taking boxing or kick.

And nice (well, tired) dig at people who disagree. There is no "cartel," but hey, you do you. 

Edited by Greycat
  • Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

6 minutes ago, megaericzero said:

So a mudkip?

No.

From the person who came up with it, no, /jranger should not be an emoji, and frankly, shouldn't be allowed on the boards.

• Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

i dont slot or use maneuvers either even though i run tactics at all times.  

On a Scrapper, the AT you cited, Maneuvers grants a base +2.275% defense. Weave grants a base +3.75% defense. Difference of? 1.475%. You say you take both, but only slot and use Weave. While still being soft-capped. So why not drop one of them and take Flight like @Greycat says?

Edit: And if you skip the Fighting pool altogether and use the lower defense Maneuvers? You can fit in Hover as well and pick up a base +1.875% defense, more than making up what you lost from not using Weave.

Edited by Rudra

i also Love to fly. i also Love 'evasive maneuvers' because it makes me cut thru the air like a razor blade. and so, as a decision, i sacrifice 3 power picks so that i can have wonderful mobility and travel. i could have taken something else, and then i'd have to use a jetpack.

people willingly enslaving themselves to a meta or a personally imposed limitation don't really get to have a reasonable expectation that the world change to accommodate their personal decisions. You don't even have to take tough OR weave if you don't want, you could easily adjust your playstyle to avoid it.

Edited by Owl Girl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

they're misbehaving on purpose, and yet some among the very same are hard at a desire for beanbag > aim (which mashes blast set diversity, the arguement being 'no one uses beanbag').

so hear me now and listen, kupo!  reworking the fighting pool is long overdue.

probably 9/10 (or more, including tanks) builds I see here, and definately 90% or more of my characters, over years here, have an unused/unbarred/barred-for-lols-on-the-anim kick or punch.

i hate how it is so much I won't even call it 'boxing'.  but that's what it does to builds. and it should go.

so that you can fly.   which sounds fun.

a975qk0lkob61.thumb.jpg.de186dc4ba408cb4e95cce0094734fd2.jpg

-- honoroit, THE power pool balance expert. recipient of the power pool balance award badge, 2020-2023

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

Someone out there might be better at math than I am by a long shot so im ganna do this longhand

level 2: power pick

level 3: enhancement picksx2

4: power

5: enhancement picksx3 and so on

6: power and so on

7: ex2

9: ex3

11x2

13x3

i got bored typing nevermind

i guess the point i was trying to make was to add like 5 or 7 more enhancement slots while evening out the levels enhancements are distributed

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

i got bored typing nevermind

... sorry, just found this funny, to be clear 😄

12 minutes ago, honoroit said:

they're misbehaving on purpose, and yet some among the very same are hard at a desire for beanbag > aim (which mashes blast set diversity, the arguement being 'no one uses beanbag').

so hear me now and listen, kupo!  reworking the fighting pool is long overdue.

probably 9/10 (or more, including tanks) builds I see here, and definately 90% or more of my characters, over years here, have an unused/unbarred/barred-for-lols-on-the-anim kick or punch.

i hate how it is so much I won't even call it 'boxing'.  but that's what it does to builds. and it should go.

so that you can fly.   which sounds fun.

a975qk0lkob61.thumb.jpg.de186dc4ba408cb4e95cce0094734fd2.jpg

-- honoroit, THE power pool balance expert. recipient of the power pool balance award badge, 2020-2023

First off, people are not misbehaving because they post disagreement to a post. (Something about everyone be nice to each other and good people on both sides? I seem to recall someone making those comments. I wonder who though.)

Second, the builds that get posted are the current meta, build for maximum effect even if it is not needed for anything in the game, rather than explore for fun and see what you can create. Because not building according to the established min-max builds that get posted is obviously not fun, right? (Or does it quash fun in the name of efficiency? It definitely quashes creativity.)

You are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine and everyone else is to theirs. Speak your mind. Give your opinion. I do ask that you stop bashing people because they think a suggestion is wrong, bad, or just something they don't like though.

(Also, please stop calling yourself the expert on everything. You may be a very good Tanker player. Hells, for all I know you may even the best in all the world. Unless you give specific reference-able data though? It it just your opinion. Just like the rest of us when we don't provide the requisite data to back up our points.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Rudra said:

On a Scrapper, the AT you cited, Maneuvers grants a base +2.275% defense. Weave grants a base +3.75% defense. Difference of? 1.475%. You say you take both, but only slot and use Weave. While still being soft-capped. So why not drop one of them and take Flight like @Greycat says?

Edit: And if you skip the Fighting pool altogether and use the lower defense Maneuvers? You can fit in Hover as well and pick up a base +1.875% defense, more than making up what you lost from not using Weave.

I don't slot or activate Maneuvers, although i put a kb resist mule in it and I don't take Weave at all.  I only use Tough.  My power pools are fighting (boxing and tough) stealth (infiltration) and leadership (maneuvers and tactics).  Everything else is primary secondary and patron.  

Just now, Aracknight said:

I don't slot or activate Maneuvers, although i put a kb resist mule in it and I don't take Weave at all.  I only use Tough.  My power pools are fighting (boxing and tough) stealth (infiltration) and leadership (maneuvers and tactics).  Everything else is primary secondary and patron.  

Then you still have a pool pick available. If you want, you can still fit Fly in. Not saying you should. Not saying you have to. Not saying anything other than you do have that option.

Combat jumping and weave provide somewhat similar buffs, save for CJ's added jump height/speed.  If you were to revamp the order of the powers, what kind of resulting defense buff would this version of weave grant, and would people be willing to pay that price.  There really isn't any non-APP/PPP equivalent for tough, though, so that'd be a harder pitch to make...