City of Heroes Collectable Card Game help needed!

NyxiaSnow

As a little kid me and my dad collected cards, from Pokémon to Yugioh to random cards from all sorts of places. In 2006, with the release of the City of Heroes CCG, we started collecting them too. Now years later I have adult money that I can spend on frivolous things, and since Homecoming has brought me back childhood nostalgia I started collecting cards again from the COH CCG. After a few years of hunting on second hand websites and nerdy thrift shops, I collected all the base Arena cards! Chuffed that I managed to accomplish this feat, I thought it would be simple to get a few of the Secret Origins cards and complete that collection too.... how wrong I was...

After a few months of searching I managed to scrounge together just over half of the SO cards, but I feel that my luck has finally run out. So I've come here to ask for advice, help, or maybe even find people who might have a few of the SO cards lying around that they would be willing to part with.

Would anyone be willing to help by providing collector websites that wouldn't be readily available on Google, or know of someone who might even have some of the cards lying around? I'm not all that interested in foil cards - they would be cool, but I think my Arena collection has like 2 in total since they're so high in demand. I've set realistic expectations that they're probably impossible to get.

P.S.: I was even thinking that if I can get higher quality images than those on the wiki I could even print them out myself (maybe even make a custom character card using the wayback machine on the old website alongside a few ~Warshade~ powers). I found a handful of websites that offer similar card stocks so it would be doable if a comprehensive high quality picture database could be created.

Edited by NyxiaSnow
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oof. I look on Evilbay every once in a while when I remember the CCG existed 😄 but I don't know of any sites that would really have them.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

10 hours ago, Greycat said:

Oof. I look on Evilbay every once in a while when I remember the CCG existed 😄 but I don't know of any sites that would really have them.

8 hours ago, Captain Fabulous said:

There's a whole bunch of them eBay. Are these not what you're looking for?

Unfortunately I think I've exhausted all the sellers on Ebay, I even know two know on a first name basis since they were able to supply most of the cards I collected! I still need roughly 77 cards from the expansion 'Secret Origins' that came out a year after the core set 'Arena' came out.

8 hours ago, lemming said:

hmm, i might have some cards somewhere.  I'll have to check. wouldn't be very many

If you do check and find some you'd like to trade/sell, send me a DM please! 😄 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/14/2023 at 6:22 AM, Solarverse said:

City of Heroes had a card game?

Next thing you know you are going to tell me that it was a RPG as well...

59356083_Screenshot2023-08-13at17-20-39BlackRedResinDnDDDDiceSet.png.a688b94214e084eabc30c65a5e8b0626.png

Well sorta...

City of Heroes RPG Quickplay Pack - Eden Studios | City Of Heroes RPG | DriveThruRPG.com

But the early 80's Champions pen and paper rpg is also a good fit with a more fleshed out rules and play system imo.

Edited by Sanguinesun

26 minutes ago, Sanguinesun said:

Well sorta...

City of Heroes RPG Quickplay Pack - Eden Studios | City Of Heroes RPG | DriveThruRPG.com

But the early 80's Champions pen and paper rpg is also a good fit with a more fleshed out rules and play system imo.

I used to play Heroes and Villains Unlimited. I got quite a lot of enjoyment from those back in the day.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.674aabef09331481adf94e8e6f3fdbd9.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Go0gleplex said:

Used to be a thing online where you could put screen clips of your toon into a combat card format like these. Dunno if it's still around; doubt it, but it was pretty fun. 🙂

ygo_Obsidiman.png

mtg_v1_Major%20Holocaust.jpg

Major... Holocaust.... just....

picard-double.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=2306dd1

• Haha 1

My friends and I played a few superheroic games back in the day, but the one we played the most was Champions/Hero System.

I still have a ton of old character sheets in my gaming filing cabinet (back before we moved stuff to computers). 

And the old information on the game world I made for our games.

• 9 months later

I've been reading the Champions RPG and came across this in the latest edition.  I don't know the implications here.

On 8/13/2023 at 2:22 PM, Solarverse said:

City of Heroes had a card game?

Next thing you know you are going to tell me that it was a RPG as well...

image.thumb.png.0e549ac20670d76c0df351234149a172.png

I noticed nobody has brought this up before.  

-Rishi

3 hours ago, Rishidian said:

I've been reading the Champions RPG and came across this in the latest edition.  I don't know the implications here.

image.thumb.png.0e549ac20670d76c0df351234149a172.png

I noticed nobody has brought this up before.  

-Rishi

Yes. When Cryptic bought the Champions Universe IP to use with Champions Online in 2009.  Nothing to do with City of Heroes.

They redesigned some stuff, and iirc, the only two characters not transferred over were Harbinger of Justice (Steve Long's char) and Darren Watts' Dr. Silverback.

They then crammed the IP into a reskinned Marvel setting