4th July Event?

EmeraldFox

With the 4th of July coming up next month I was wondering are there any plans to celebrate it in an event in server at this time and if so just what the event would be>

EMERALD STAR PUB DISCORD: 

Hey guys.  Need a place to go online were you can forget eberything going on in the real world?  Place to let loose have fun and a laugh?  Well come on down to the Emerald star pub.  A fun place to be thats both ooc and rp chat.  You want to know more theres an invite below to come check us out and have some fun

Emerald Star Pub

This has always been a multi-national game, thus the other 500 non-USA countries really don't know or care about Independance day. I doubt we will get anything big, if at all. Otherwise we will have to start having Canadian, Yugoslavian, and Hoot-Hoot Independance day events.

Happy Wife = Happy Life

This has always been a multi-national game, thus the other 500 non-USA countries really don't know or care about Independance day. I doubt we will get anything big, if at all. Otherwise we will have to start having Canadian, Yugoslavian, and Hoot-Hoot Independance day events.

I think we can all agree hoot-hoot independence day is something we can all enjoy!

I think we can all agree hoot-hoot independence day is something we can all enjoy!

I was lucky enough to be travelling there last year and it was truly epic!

How do I give +1 inf to a whole thread? 

For me personally, though I have faced Captain Hoot-Hoot many times in battle, I have never defeated him.  Respect!

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Personally, I would prefer all RL events to never enter my MMO, I play for the escape from RL.

The Halloween and Winter events are both a bit more broad than something like July 4, so they work OK in an MMO, but are still a grey area for me.

To be clear, I am not a terribly social guy and I don't go to these parties in RL either.

IMO, MMOs should have events based around thier own worlds.

SInce CoH is supposed to be literally in Rhode Island, in the United States, the city celebrating US events make sense in the lore and any event can be a reason for some kind of conflict from a bad actor.

So IMO, seeing the city decorated for these events because of it's location makes sense.

However, making these events do much of anything for the players other than creating some interesting encounters/missions due to 'bad actors crashing' the event. Doing the whole 'you must play during this time to get this reward' is straight out of the MMO Retail Playbook and I personally don't like to be force fed a carrot.

So, having the City celebrate these things is all well and good, IMO, but having the event for the Players can kill the escape in many ways for me.

How do I give +1 inf to a whole thread? 

For me personally, though I have faced Captain Hoot-Hoot many times in battle, I have never defeated him.  Respect!

It's because he always see you coming, that ability he has to rotate his neck 360 degrees is massively overpowered!

Would int be to bad an idea for multiculteral holidays but to many may be to much for now.  Lore wise the 4th I feel should be celebrated in paragon because of where its located but also I found this snippet where you can eiteher include or to those objecting to celebrateing the 4th in game as is and wish for something else can use https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/In-game_timeline

Paragon City, 4 July 1932: Statesman, Dark Watcher and Maiden Justice form the Freedom Phalanx.

ie an anniversary of this event that happens to fall on the same date as the 4th

EMERALD STAR PUB DISCORD: 

Hey guys.  Need a place to go online were you can forget eberything going on in the real world?  Place to let loose have fun and a laugh?  Well come on down to the Emerald star pub.  A fun place to be thats both ooc and rp chat.  You want to know more theres an invite below to come check us out and have some fun

Emerald Star Pub

Paragon City, 4 July 1932: Statesman, Dark Watcher and Maiden Justice form the Freedom Phalanx.

ie an anniversary of this event that happens to fall on the same date as the 4th

This is great world building and immersion, adding something interesting beyond having events based on RL, IMO.

Allowing the game world to have it's life and dimensions is very fun to me.

The game was made in America. When a Japanese game is made, do they not celebrate their own special days? The idea of "let's not celebrate because it is not all inclusive" is silly. Might as well stop celebrating anything at all with that idea. Besides, all are welcome to celebrate...not just Americans.

Guild Wars celebrates Chinese New Year because it has a psuedo-Chinese culture. No one seems to consider this the thin edge of Chinese cultural domination over the west. Paragon City is located in America. It would make sense for them to celebrate Independence Day.

Guild Wars celebrates Chinese New Year because it has a psuedo-Chinese culture. No one seems to consider this the thin edge of Chinese cultural domination over the west. Paragon City is located in America. It would make sense for them to celebrate Independence Day.

Except that Chinese New Year is not a China-specific holiday, it's celebrated by many countries, just like western New Year is.

So what? It's still not celebrated in the nation of origin for the majority of players, and it still did not facilitate the subversion of anyone's culture. If City of Heroes was going to be an ambiguously international game, that ship sailed when Paragon City was located in Rhode Island instead of being an ambiguously international location (like the Rogue Isles are).

Perhaps, but it's soaking in Americana - from it's setting, to Statesman, to comics in general. Fourth of July celebrations would be absolutely warranted, IMO.

Except that Chinese New Year is not a China-specific holiday, it's celebrated by many countries, just like western New Year is.

It's getting to a point where Americans aren't even allowed to celebrate their Holidays anymore without SOMEBODY making a stink of it. American culture is being stamped out. The fact we are even debating this is absurd to me. Not even 30 years ago, this discussion would NOT have been happening. I never thought I would see the day...my 44 years of life and Americans have lost all self identity and culture. It's a damn shame...and I am sorry I have lived long enough to see it.

Generation X seems to be the last generation who holds dear their roots, culture and American Pride.

This world has gotten so damn political, I can't even go to a game without people trying to force "political correctness" and politics in to this game. We are supposed to be able to play this game to escape the real life world...not be reminded of it at every turn.

Not the America I grew up in...at all.

I'm done with this thread...it honestly makes me sick to my stomach the fact people are even debating this. This is seriously disturbing.

Depending on how I feel I may launch a Skull Fry on Torchbearer.  I get one of my AoE based characters like Catrina or Yamnaya and send them to Perez Park.  Once there, I'll start a team and keep killing (or rather, arresting with poison thorns and electrical blasts) Skuls until everybody on the team gets their Kill Skuls badge. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

If we were talking Generic Medieval Fantasy MMO #1,005,623, I would completely agree that an American Independence Day celebration would have no place in it.

If we were talking a dystopic cyberpunk MMO where the world was controlled by megacorporations, I could certainly see the arguments against such a celebration (or at least having an in-world reason why it was still being celebrated).

But we're not though.

This is a modern-day Superhero MMO set in, primarily, a fictional city in the state of Rhode Island. Independence Day is going to be a thing, it's going to be celebrated because the majority of the population of Paragon City (not just the heroes but also the NPCs) are going to be American.

Now, whether or not there is anything planned in game, that's an entirely different matter and, if there is not, I have no issue with that.. We've got a team of volunteer devs and game masters who all have lives outside of the game, plus they have had other things to do than prep an event because this server sort of experienced explosive growth.

I just think the argument that "since people in other countries play the game, an American holiday shouldn't be celebrated" is, quite frankly, silly.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

I am American, Myself and my Super group members are all from Ohio, USA playing on Reunion, EU.

I guess the thing mostly overlooked in this is the issue of the amount of people with free time around 7/4/19.

1) There are a lot of American Players on the Homecoming Servers.

2) Independence Day is a paid day off for a lot of Americans.

3) Independence Day falls on a Thursday, which means a LOT of people will end up taking Friday Off work.

4) Independence Day is suddenly a FOUR Day weekend for a bunch us.

5) I Detect a lot of Task Forces, Strike Forces, Hami Raids, and the like suddenly in pre-planning.

6) I think This Year it will be a good time whether we Specifically choose to Celebrate it or not.

7) Never recall it being an Event Holiday on Live, so why do so now.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

Not the America I grew up in...at all.

Putting aside the serious ageist bent this post has, how is an America where everyone can express thier view on something not a good thing?

That is America, not a few people dictating to others what is OK to say and do, what is or is not 'proper' to debate.

As others have said, Paragon City is in America, so there is in-game support for American holidays to be in-game.

So?

This is not some obligation to put these things into the game.

Putting Real World events into video games ruins immersion for many people.

Having or not having, wanting or not wanting an event in a video game does not mean someone has some 'warped world political view'.

The America I was raised in is built on healthy debate and the xploration of ideas, not the oppression of those that are not 'patriotic enough' to debate options in a video game, regardless of 'current politics'.